how do you get your coffee fix

even better with used socks :slight_smile:

Survival Perk - The Bees’ Knees
Absolutely the best making-great-coffee-while-camping device ever - AND - it’s made in Newfoundland…

http://www.survivalperk.com/

old six cup percolator
it works pretty good, I use it for coffee and tea.

I dump my coffee grounds in the fire to prevent buzzed up bears.

Espresso
I use a stove top espresso pot. Put water and grounds in bottom, screw on top, set on my Svea and voila! Takes up very little room. Instant coffee should be illegal.

Jordan

Coffee bags in a Jetboil
fill the Jetboil cup to the line,

stick in two coffee bags,

Light 'er up until she just starts to boil

shut 'er down and do something else for 5 minutes

makes for passable coffee with minimal fuss.

I’m not a big fan of
combining boiling water with plastic

sounds like you’re cooking for a group
I travel alone. Can’t really justify that kind of space for a single use item like a coffee pot.

Boiling Water and Plastic…
Check the Survival Perk website - the plastic used is one formulated for this specific purpose. According to the manufacturer, it’s safe to use as directed.

Use regular quart cook pot

according to the manufacturer
of course it’s safe according to the manufacturer

me too
used to perk, switched to instant. there are some very good tasting (non-American brand) instants. no pot, filter, special devices or grinds to mess with. also saves fuel!

Have one of these.

– Last Updated: Jan-04-10 12:23 AM EST –

http://www.rei.com/product/794391

Works great for single serving, doesn't need a lot of grounds to make good coffee. Also a very good little hot drinks mug, keeps things hot and has a secure no leak lid.

To get really wired or serve more than one person, I bring a full size press. Just picked up one of these after my trusty old lexan press met with an unlucky end... http://www.rei.com/product/784621 I just stuff the press into one of the pointy ends when packing, hardly takes up any space...

MSR Mugmate
come to think of it works well for a single cup brewer at home. Save yourself a hundred bucks.

And good coffee. I like Green Mountain Organic Sumatran Reserve. The downside is I grind up the beans at home and not on the trip…have no room for grinder.

coffee
Small percolator, only big problem is if not packed right it rattles. When completely dry pack with clean socks. This gets harder the longer the trip is, though the rattle bothers you less the more days you’re out :slight_smile:

Bill H.

Second the
Starbucks VIA brand. I’ve tried every form of making coffee on kayaking trips and I always thought it was a pain, until I tried VIA and there’s no messy grounds or pot clean up to deal with after. Best instant I’ve tried.

it’s one thing to see the trick done
with a coffee pot on a wire. Even then it’s a pretty good trick. Another altogether to see it done with a 2L pot in my collapsable camp bucket (for a handle)! This could turn out badly.

Instant
I’m an instant coffee guy myself. I use my wisperlite to bring water to a boil, just add a few scoops of folgers and go about my business.

hot water
These days I just boil up some water as if I were going to have some coffee then just skip the coffee.

It’s surprising how much of having a cup of coffee is habit. For me a cup of hot water does the same trick.

It’s something I do on cold days, other than that I don’t bother with a hot drink, but suppose that doesn’t really answer your question…

Ranger coffee
The MSR mugmate, using a grind that is medium or coarse, not extra fine. This is a small and simple, foolproof solution. No filters. Don’t drink that last half inch in your cup.

Ranger Coffee http://www.rangercoffee.com/ sells a double caffeine coffee. Cuts down on the need to urinate, but gives you that caffeine that you need so much. Designed for use by our motorized troups in Iraq, who were getting shot when they had to stop to urinate. Support your troups.

My Titanium pot has fold over handles
so I pull a piece of parachute cord through them folded down, wrap it around my fingers and spin the pot. Works awesome. Easy and not dangerous.

I personally just don’t understand the need for “anything” special to make great coffeee??? Seems silly, but hey people like gadgets I guess.