How do you mount/store your kayak?

That’s how all my boats spend winter on padded 2x4. They might have white stuff on them for a day or 2 in January or February.

Got both hoists installed. I overlapped the boats a bit so they wouldn’t shade the lights too much!

2 Likes

It certainly looks like I can get one more boat in there, possibly two if I back the Jeep up. (But I want to keep the garage door really clear for the snow blower.

But… MORE BOATS!

1 Like

Looks like a decent sized garage @NotThePainter. Is it time to build a kayak now??? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Almost! When we bough the place we made sure I could fit kayaks out of the side door from the basement workshop area. So yes, it is almost time. I need to build out some walls and move stuff around first, but yes, soon, I hope.

I guess I then need to decide which Cape Falcon boat I want to build. I want the West Greenland because it is gorgeous but the F1 is a far more sensible boat.

So is it best for the kayak (a plastic kayak like Tsunami or Tempest) to be stored on the side suspended or on the flat suspended (upside down or right side up)? I see every iteration of those options on this post. I’m a newbie and want to protect my boat.

Some of the photos you are seeing are of composite (no plastic) kayaks which don’t soften and sag in heat. For a plastic boat, best to be on its side if on the floor, and suspended deck side up or down but with the slings or support brackets located nearer the cockpit than the ends and preferably over the interior bulkheads. In my photo only the lime green kayak is plastic and it is on the sawhorses upside down with the bulkheads over the cross bars of the horses. The canoe is Kevlar, the boat on the wall is wood and nylon skin on frame and the yellow one is a folding kayak with aluminum frame and dacron and PVC skin. None of those is affected by being stored those ways by high heat.

Thanks willow leaf. I checked out the photos. So, it sounds like it’s best to be stored on it’s hull upright or upside down, but not on it’s side. I am planning on getting a strap storage like I have for my rec kayak, but assume a floor stand like this would be okay in the meantime. I did understand that the straps or support should be near the bulkheads and I understand this is true despite the type of boat or position of storage. I think I was more confused about the side or bottom/top storage positions.
Thank you again.

If I suspend my plastic kayak cockpit up but sling it at the ends, after a couple of hot days do you think it will give me some rocker? :thinking: :grin:

Yes, but the cockpit may be a bit tight.

Been meaning to lose a few pounds anyway :grin: lol

maybe I was not clear. On its side is fine for plastic kayak storage. the sides are sronger than the deck or hull and the seat and cockpit molding helps maintain the boat cross sectional profile to resist deformation. On its side resting on something resilient is even better, like old tires or foam pool noodles.

With boats that I hang in my walk out basement I thread the ropes or straps through pool noodles to make cushioned trapezes. The stiff foam also aids in keep the hanger loops spread open to more easily slide the boats in and out of them.

Thank you for the clarification.