How important to NOT store kayak on it's

With an older kayak,(plastic), how important is it really, not to store it on it’s bottom? I’d like to store mine on foam pads on top of 2x4’s over my dog’s kennel. I don’t want to rig up some fancy pulley system, or wall support in my garage. This area is under our back porch, about 12’ off the ground, dry, and out of the sun. The dog’s kennel is about 12’Lx10’Wx6’H.

Thanks,

Tom

I store poly kayaks and canoes on the
bottom as long as the bottom is evenly supported.

worry of plastic bending
The worry is that the plastic will bend and form a new shape over time - this is called oil canning. More prevalent if it gets hot in your area and/or if you strap it down tightly.

You can reduce the chance of this happening if you can line it up so the supports are below bulkheads (so the bulkheads would prevent the plastic from bending). Or if you store the boat on its side, rather than bottom (the sharper curve of the side actually makes it stronger).

Hull up.
Why not store it (properly supported) cockpit side down, hull up? The literature from various manufacturers state that’s perfectly acceptable.

If you place the supports so they…
are under the bulkheads, you shouldn’t have any problem

If you don’t the yaks will probably “oil can” over a long period of time.

Our 20 year old Tupperware Perception Eclipse and Shadow have done this.

What I do is just cram a piece of 2" x 4" upright between the hull bottom and the deck and lay the boats in the sun for a day or two, and the oil canning will mostly come back to it’s normal shape.

Cut the chunk of wood about a half inch longer then the vertical distance where the oil can is, and wedge it in place.

If it only oil cans a bit, don’t worry about it

Jack L

How can the bottom be evenly supported?

It’s actually called a WOW.
Oil canning is when the boat hull flexes up & down when the boat is on the water.

WOW, not oil can.
Oil canning is flexing up and down when on the water.

Wow is a fixed dent in the hull from pressure or sagging from heat.

Yep. Hull up/deck down.
Or on it’s side.

Dat’s "rack rot"
Not erl cannin’

FE

If you simply fill it with
expanding foam you can just chunk it in the yard and ignore all the crap on the Internet and from the manufacturers about not storing it on it’s bottom.

Yes I have heard all that before,

– Last Updated: Jul-14-14 3:54 PM EST –

I am not sure how old you are, but many moons ago when a canoe was deformed it was called "Oil caned"
You can call it what you want, but to me it is oil canning, and in the water when it returns to it's original position I call it flexing.
I am sure whatever is correct, the OP understands what I am talking about

Jack L

Now Jack you are surely old
enough to remember the little containers of oil with the long thin spouts. When you pushed on the bottom, it made a neat popping noise and oil spurted out of the lubricating can.

Oil canning to me ergo is when water pushes on a too soft bottom and you can get that pop pop sound.

We actually get it on the sides of the bow in our Wenonah Odyssey. The sides are very flexible…

Now as flexing as in the twist of the whole hull thats to me different.

Yanoer might be too young for this but I bet there is an oil can in his garage.

You’ll figure it out. Just strive for
an impression of evenness, an absence of Princess and the Pea.

You guys or so OCD that you can’t manage to put a boat down on a flat surface without warping your brains into extra sulci.

There is no problem here, unless your boat were garbage, and I know that doesn’t apply for you.

Yes, I have one of those oil cans.
I grew up on a farm with a Dad that had worked in a garage.

I have a couple of them
One has cutting oil in it.

And the modern 3 in 1 oil cans do it when you ssqueeze the side.

They are both “oil canning”

Jack L

Mis-use of words

– Last Updated: Jul-14-14 8:14 PM EST –

Of course you've heard this all before, but why not have a reason for using a particular word that's based on reality instead of someone else's bad habit? To make a noun into a verb to describe a particular action doesn't make any sense if the action being described is something different from the action that's done by the noun. As a really obvious example, consider the kind of boat called a "hydroplane" and the action that's called "hydroplaning". It's correct to call the action of bald tires rolling at high speed over a thin water layer and losing contact with the pavement "hydroplaning" because the action is much the same as that of the namesake boat. But if the formation of a permanent dent or bend due to prolonged pressure can be called "oilcanning", then maybe there is nothing wrong with calling the action of a sinking anchor "hydroplaning" as well. The point is, the fact that people who didn't know any better started mis-using a particular word doesn't seem to me like a logical reason for doing the same.

Permanent dents should be referred to
As “Beer Canning”

A whitewater poly kayak can be stored
at almost any angle without cumulative distortion, as long as it is kept out of sun and heat.

Do I need to repeat that? I used to treat the severely delusional.

Store it any way, in the shade, it won’t get bent.

Yes, please repeat.