How much rescue practice do you regularly do?

A question for long-term paddlers. How much rescue practice do you normally do?
By that I mean any form of getting yourself upright, tows, paddle float rescues, rolls, etc. Do you have routine such as “I will do X Y times every time I am out”? Summer vs Winter?
If you go out with a group does your group has an established practice routine?

I kayak on the order of 60 days per season. Of those, maybe 1/3 involve rolling practice. Over the season, we likely do 3 or 4 rescue sessions i.e. assisted and unassisted - these typically involve some beginners.

Used to set aside a day for self rescue and assisted rescue at least once a year, but haven’t done any in three or four years.

Jack L

Rolls pretty often. Should do every time I go out, but unfortunately I am not doing it that often.

When rock gardening or surfing in a group, it is pretty common to have a couple of rescues a day.

Only a few times a year outside of that would I do time specific set aside to practice rescues.

None

None. Never have. Other people occasionally practice on me. I only do river trips with people who have known good rescue skills. I’m not a good example for other paddlers.

Try to do at least 5-10 rolls every time I go out sometimes do as many as 25-30 (had 103 paddle days last year and 1505 miles). Stop rolling practice when the water gets below 45. Practice exit and reenter (cowboy, T-rescue, reenter and roll) a few times a year.

I usually roll at least a couple of times on every outing, at least in the summer. I will try to force myself to do the same in the winter. I have come to the conclusion that paddle float rescues are more difficult and awkward than re-entry and rolls, so tend to do the latter a few times a year and the former far fewer times a year. Almost always paddle solo so don’t practice things that involve 2 or more paddlers.

@Monkeyhead said:
I usually roll at least a couple of times on every outing, at least in the summer. I will try to force myself to do the same in the winter. I have come to the conclusion that paddle float rescues are more difficult and awkward than re-entry and rolls, so tend to do the latter a few times a year and the former far fewer times a year. Almost always paddle solo so don’t practice things that involve 2 or more paddlers.

Paddle float can be a chore and probably not that useful in a dynamic environment.
However, I am thinking to try a foam float since inflating is the largest time waster after pumping.

@SpaceSputnik said:

@Monkeyhead said:

Paddle float can be a chore and probably not that useful in a dynamic environment.
However, I am thinking to try a foam float since inflating is the largest time waster after pumping.

True but the foam ones:

• Take up space
  • Have less buoyancy
  • Get in the way on deck

I use an inflatable Seattle Sports that can be purchased from MEC. I tell everyone that gets one to cut some drain holes in the bottom.

I have the Seattle Sports one as well, Thinking to give a foam one to try at least. Might be useful with failed roll attempts near shore. Doing a full on float rescue many times gets old in a hurry. So if I could pop just the float on, paddle to shore quickly, empty the boat and back at it.
For a true rescue, an inflatable one is probably a better option.

Zero, it’s to dangerous in the alligator infested waters that I paddle.

@shiraz627 said:

Darn…is it safe to paddle there at all?

My go-to self rescue before I could roll was a scramble. It’s quick and effective in mild conditions. I did (and still do) practice with a float, but not when I’m aiming for speed.

It’s not difficult with an unloaded boat to flip it and keep most of the water out. So long as you minimize how much you add doing the reentry, there’s little emptying to do.

You might want to try a reenter and roll with paddle float as a precursor to rolling. The disadvantage is a boat load of water in the cockpit.

My boat ends up swamped most of the time. Tried raising to drain, almost never works. Probably because I do practice with the full load such as spare paddle, heaving line, cart in the hatch, etc…
I should try the scramble.

@shiraz627 said:

Where would that be?

@SpaceSputnik said:

@Monkeyhead said:

I take hard foam float in winter or cold water.

@shiraz627 said:

I love NY

@shiraz627 said:

All the more reason to have it so well practiced you can do it in no time with little thought.

…Or move somewhere there’s nothing in the water that can eat you.

^ to risk being eaten while practicing for the event where you might get eaten, Hmm…