How to get used boats? What to buy?!?!!?

Tempest 170

– Last Updated: May-25-06 5:36 AM EST –

I have a Tempest 170 I am trying to find a home for as I am going for a lower volume boat. (or maybe another sit on top so me and the missus can meander a bit) Probably three years old, was a rental and demo for Florida Bay Outfitters so is pretty scratched up on the bottom and sides (where they slid it onto the racks) but is structurally sound. Skeg cable was replaced when I bought it and the bulkheads were sealed by them. Looks good on top though and the scratches dissapear when in the water :)
New they are around 1500. I would want less than about half of that.
I am in Ft. Lauderdale though...

Paul

Make A List And Then Be Patient And…
vigilant in checking the clssified boards in your local area.

When you have a list of boats that you are interested in, set a price for yourself. When you see the boat on a classified where selling price intersects with your buying price, act fast and go for it. The seller (if s/he is offering a good price) is often inundated with emails, some by folks who haven’t done their homework (and expect the seller to tell them if the boat is “right” for them) while others are try to haggle to death. If the seller is asking a decent price and you go straight to it, you’ll likely get the boat because it saves the seller the hassle.

sing

PS. All my boats were bought used, except for one waveski I recently custom ordered. I have also sold more than several over the years.

Look for local outfitters
Local outlets have tradeins and fleet boats and last years models that need to go.

Now is the time of year and many of them are willing to deal on the price just to get the overstock and used stuff out the door.

Hmm
Where did you get hatches so cheap?

Glass: no, Plastic: yes

You should be able to get a good plastic boat for less than $1000. Unless you are very lucky, you won’t get a used glass boat for less than about $1500. The “$600 Nordkapp” is very, very rare.

Some examples from paddling.net which are much less than $1000 and they include other stuff.

(WI) 17 ft Perception Eclipse Sealion with rudder for sale. Includes Voyageur spray skirt, harmony duo-float, billage pump, and seaquel paddle. Only 4 years old and in excellent condition. Asking Price $750 – Submitted by: tiggerrou

(AL) Current Designs Storm, 17’3" long, weight 67 lbs.rugged polypropelene, two storage compartments, retractable rudder,used 5 times $1050; Gear: Werner carbon paddle, life jacket, toting cart, bilge pump, nylon skirt. and much more, used 5 times,original cost $878 will sell for $575, call 334 826 5163 or email. – Submitted by: richardhimmer

Possible

– Last Updated: May-25-06 11:06 AM EST –

The Pintail is a specialty boat: not every one is going to like how it performs. He also might not fit into it.

The Sedas are inexpensive to begin with. The Glider is also very long, isn't it?

Glass: no, Plastic: yes
You should be able to get a good plastic boat for less than $1000. Unless you are very lucky, you won’t get a used glass boat for less than about $1500 (that’s the general lower limit). The “$600 Nordkapp” is very, very rare.

Some examples from paddling.net which are much less than $1000 and they include other stuff.

(WI) 17 ft Perception Eclipse Sealion with rudder for sale. Includes Voyageur spray skirt, harmony duo-float, billage pump, and seaquel paddle. Only 4 years old and in excellent condition. Asking Price $750 – Submitted by: tiggerrou

(AL) Current Designs Storm, 17’3" long, weight 67 lbs.rugged polypropelene, two storage compartments, retractable rudder,used 5 times $1050; Gear: Werner carbon paddle, life jacket, toting cart, bilge pump, nylon skirt. and much more, used 5 times,original cost $878 will sell for $575, call 334 826 5163 or email. – Submitted by: richardhimmer

that would be perfect if not for…
the distance between us. shoot. thanks. curious–how much would you want for it? Also, how did you like the boat? its pluses and minuses?

great advice…
i will curb the haggle monster. thanks.

i’ll make a list and start…
working the phones. thanks.

thanks nj. n/m

$30/pair
here in the classifieds. Used a home made backband and the foot braces were $20.

You can ship it for $100

– Last Updated: May-25-06 4:48 PM EST –

You can ship it for $100.

And he's not a stranger (not here, anyway).

Buy Paul’s Tempest.
Buy Paul’s Tempest.

You can ship it for $100.

And he’s not a stranger (not here, anyway).

how would I set that up, nj? thanks n/m

Hope you find one

– Last Updated: May-26-06 5:18 AM EST –

I am pretty sure that if you are patient that you will find one in your area that will be perfect. I can't remember if I paid 850 or 750 for mine last July. I think it was 850. Most paddleshops have their end of year / season clearances so check around and you will find a great deal. since you ar in that area, have you contacted flatpick? (Steve Scherrer) He has a paddleshop and is a Wildy rep so I would imagine he would know of where some might be.
I highly highly recommend the boat. I went from a 9.6 foot Old Town Rush rec boat to the Tempest and whiule the learning curve was high, the skills development was much faster as I never really surpassed what this boat can do. Now that I have a SOF and the Outer Island, I probably won't take her out as much but she will be a perfect loaner boat and camper and great fun in waves and confused chop.
See? I am talking myself out of selling it. Even if I do feel it is big, I feel very confident in waves and conditions in this boat. Like I said earlier, a perfect trade would be for a 165.

Or maybe I will part with it and invest a bit more and start building a stitch and glue...that petrel looks interesting.

aaaarrrrgh..

Paul

Steve sold the shop
and got out of the business end of things

didn’t know that…
thanks. Wildy must have made him an offer he couldn’t refuse?

Paul

thanks b–
are you in Brazil.

Yes, chop and waves we have a plenty here in teh sound. I figure the tempest will work well here, and seems to fit me. There will definately be a big learning curve.

did you find the 170 too big interms of storage and hauling, or too big on the water? Would love to hear your take on that issue.

do you know the name of steves shop/outfitter company?

thanks again.

my question about steve…
is answered. Thanks.