Humorous Craigslist Ads

It’s the Swiss Army knife of, uh, floating things. Look it even has a hole for an optional pedal drive!

Why is that “kayak” in the ad you linked giving me sailboat vibes?

1 Like

In this case I suspect that the “restoration” consisted of a can of blue Krylon paint

Brilliant design. The toilet lid doubles as a seat back.

3 Likes

Ha! Honestly with as frequently as I need the loo perhaps I should make an offer?

Yeah, it reminds me of a Sunfish with the mast & sail removed.

1 Like

I just had to know. It’s the bottom one. I’m so amused.

You contacted the seller? :laughing:
What exactly is this boat? Has a totally flat bottom. A decked pirogue? The watertight hatches seem out of place.

1 Like

I’m a terrible person. Yes I did! I simply wrote and asked for a photo of the bottom.

I have no idea what this thing is. Could the watertight hatches have previously been a mast mount and, uh, toilet…? (Kidding about the toilet, but it’s definitely a theme for me now.)

1 Like

I have a batch of old Popular Science mags from the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. They are full of patterns for DIY “hubbies in the basement” to craft for the home and family, and they include some for odd looking “boats” made of plywood (and even concrete!). Willing to bet that thing was somebody’s shop project back in the day.

Some day I will go through those old mags and try to scan some of the crazy boat projects so I can share them.

1 Like

For anyone interested in building a boat Duckworks is a useful place. Here is a link to free plans some rather strange designs as well.

Plans & Kits - Duckworks Boat Builders Supply

2 Likes

Damaged and repaired, no leaks!

1 Like

Wonder what happened to the boat…
Got too close to the campfire?

1 Like

What a steal! Wood boats are a luxury these days

I was wondering how someone could “repair” a plastic kayak, but apparently many websites recommend melting it to repair it. It does look melted.

But that one is pristine compared to this “kayake,” which at least they’re only charging $25 for.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/1212595086

Wow. I can’t believe the person listed the condition of that as “fair”…

I’ve seen people say the condition is excellent, except for the huge gash that would need repairing, or the sun-faded deck that looks like it’s been in the Sahara for the last two decades, or the fact that it lacks hatch covers or a seat. Excellent except.

1 Like

Lol there should be a separate category for “kayak-like objects”

I have to credit the guy who posted the kayak I bought from him on Cragslist last month. Up front he stated it had substantial damage and posted closeups of a gash in the stern deck and an impact ding and crack in the gelcoat below the leeward gunwale. Also admitted the hatch inner covers were gone. ad heading was “Damaged Kayak.”

I suspect that was why nobody jumped on it before I saw the ad 3 days after he posted it. I realized right away the dings would not affect performance and could even be repaired. And took the chance I could source replacement covers (a risk with a 2003 model that was only made for 6 years).

Turned out to be worth that risk since I drove to see it right away and came home with a gorgeous lightweight composite sea kayak that fits me perfectly (and was around $2500 when new) for $300 plus $80 for the covers - thankful for TopKayakers deep stock of ancient parts and I apparently bought the last weird skinny oval one for a Perception Avatar hatch that they are likely to ever have.

Lots of overpriced sad boats on CL but sometimes you score a gem. Helps to have truth in advertising.

That said, the number of people who post boats for sale without bothering to list the model name that’s almost always printed right on the hull is puzzling. I’ve never seen a vehicle ad that just says “blue car for sale”. And of course there are all the dim shots of a portion of an unidentified boat buried under piles of junk in a garage. Yup, I sure feel like driving 30 miles to dig through the cobwebs and junked toys and tires in your shed to see what that dusty mystery hunk of hull is attached to.

2 Likes

Have we seen this one?

1 Like

You got so lucky with that beauty! (And I guess you’re not giving it to your friend after all? :upside_down_face:)

It’s pure misery being kayak-less and combing CL for kayaks right now. People want way more money than their crappy boats are worth. And the good boats I’m seeing are all high volume as well as overpriced. Yes, I’m bitter, why do you ask?

1 Like