I bought a Sea-Monster ??

I have a Serial Number, but thats as far as I got…
Is it a Kayak or a Canoe? Anybody have any Ideas ? It has a Crack that need fixing…Also, would I be able to buy some Seats for it ??
Oh Boy…what have I done Ha! Ha! Help ASAP Pleeese…

It’s closest to a sorta canoe, check out the ends. Probably originally had seats pads of some sort mounted on the bottom that cracked.
Where is the crack? Unless it is awfully easy to fix, bother to fix may be more than the value of this.

That’s kinda cool.
Looks sorta like a commercial rental like you would see on the pond of a local park and looks sturdy enough.
I’d say worth fixing for it’s uniqueness alone. Would like to see a pic of it buffed out and on the water.

Looks like that bow seat would tear your back out… Curious if it has a number on the outside of the stern on the hull… Otherwise it is a canoe but… who made it is a mystery.

I hope it was inexpensive.

Well, its certainly some kind of monster.

Love the Feed-back…I thought it was cool too…I paid a $100.00 So, nothing huge…I was hoping to take the broken front seat out so my Dog can come along… I called this Automotive Place in RD and they assured me they had a Repair Kit that’ll do the Job for $40.00…So far , all is good… Still would be interesting to find out who made it and what it really is…Maiden Voyage is scheduled for this Week-end… Wish me Luck…
XUS 066 21 11 75 (thats the serial number)

Yes it is a sea monster. A 44 year old dragon… Made by group that was in business a short time and has been dead for 31 years.
Good luck. Its out of Monroe WA
I suspect you paid more than the price when new.
https://www.uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification-detail.php?id=47086

Wild guess but I would think it was for fishing on the Snohomish River

If I may:

1. make sure the bow, stern, or that center structure is sealed (think flotation). Or if it gets filled with water it will sink like a rock.
  2. I would use West systems G-flex epoxy and fiberglass tape for the crack and come up with some padding for the seats and seat backs

This past winter I bought a throw-a-way Mohawk royalax canoe(cracks all over the place, no thwart, missing seat screws, ready for the trash heap). I spent quite a few days with G-flex, fiberglass,sanding and paint and now have a real nice canoe.

Sit down, and start designing - Good luck

Hey kayamedic and JackL…Many Thanks for your knowledge…Wow…44 Years young…Thats amazing that it is still around…I dont mind a bit of Elbow crease and Time I have… I dont expect much from it…Anything serious, I do have a Good one! As long as it can pack a couple of Friends around to sneak up on a bit of Wildlife…thats about all… Yes…I will make sure its not leaking…Maybe a couple Stadium Seats can do the Trick… Will also make sure that the Tear in the Aluminum Seat is addressed… “Her Name is OLGA” HA! HA! Will keep you posted…

I have no familiarity with that boat or company but the method of construction and appearance suggest very strongly that it is made of single-layer (solid) polyethylene thermo-formed sheet. If it is, be aware that polyethylene (PE) is pretty chemically inert, and most adhesives will not bond to it satisfactorily.

Cracks in single layer PE can be repaired with thermal welding if you can find someone who knows how to do that. It is not terribly difficult but a first timer will probably not get a good result.

G Flex epoxy will bond to PE but you will only get a satisfactory bond if you first pre-treat the area of repair by oxidizing the surface of the material which makes it much more eager to bond with epoxies and other adhesives. In manufacturing, a chemical oxidation process is often used, but this is not practical for back yard boat repairmen. Fortunately, you can use flame oxidation which is pretty easy and inexpensive, but you will need an inexpensive hand-held propane torch to oxidize the surface just before you apply your epoxy. If your boat is made of PE and you omit this step, your bond and repair will not be worth a hoot. You can flick globs of cured G Flex epoxy off of non-pre-treated PE with the tip of your fingernail.

G Flex epoxy is made by West Systems. I would recommend you buy the 650-K kit which contains 4 ounces of resin, 4 ounces of hardener, some colloidal silica powder which can be used to thicken the mixed epoxy which will be better for bridging and bonding cracks, some mixing cups and stir sticks, some dental syringes (also handy for filling cracks) and a couple of pairs of disposable gloves. You can get one of these kits for around $35 from many vendors including Amazon and ebay. West Systems calls this an “aluminum boat repair kit” but ignore the aluminum bit. Read the instructions that come with the G Flex carefully. They include detailed instructions for surface cleaning and preparation, including flame oxidation with a propane torch. When you go to fill in the crack, back it up on the opposite side with some clear packing tape to avoid a mess and fill in each side individually.

Hi Pblanc…Many Thanks for taking the time…Im thinking it’ll be worth learning about it before I make any Attempts…It really is Uber-Cool I think…Many Years of un still to be had…and you know that ols Saying…“Haste makes Waste” Thanks…Ill keep everyone thats interested posted…

I like it. A conversation starter on the water almost certainly. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anything quite like that. I’m curious how it handles.

@Waterbearer said:
I like it. A conversation starter on the water almost certainly. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anything quite like that. I’m curious how it handles.

I am curious about handling it to the water.

Hey Waterbearer… Me too Ha! Ha!..Dang, its going to be raining all Week-end. So you all will have to hang in there a bit… Im thinking a bit Bismarkish ?? Dont think itll be very agile…and it doesnt need to be… Just stay afloat…

This looks like the type of project that I wouldn’t be afraid of. I’d definitely get someone to thermo-weld it, fabricate new seats and use it. Looks like it’d be a blast to paddle around.

It’s the clipboard in the second picture that has me worried the most. Project manager?

Hey, watch what you say about us project managers! Seriously, I learned early on that the only things you need to know to be a PM are: wear a white hard hat, carry a clipboard, walk too fast for anybody to ask any questions and always look worried…

And get to be good friends with the project accountant.

@willowleaf said:
Hey, watch what you say about us project managers! Seriously, I learned early on that the only things you need to know to be a PM are: wear a white hard hat, carry a clipboard, walk too fast for anybody to ask any questions and always look worried…

Indeed. Social engineering at its best.