I guess I can't complain...

about the just-about-never-ending rain here for the past ten days or so. At least it’s liquid, unlike what fell in the upper peninsula this morning: :o

https://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Morning-snow-covers-town-in-Michigans-Upper-Peninsula-495276951.html

Bummer! At least you aren’t in a tent.

@string said:
Bummer! At least you aren’t in a tent.

Yup, counting my blessings that I’m dry and warm indoors, thanks to my heating system. Cold here, but not enough to start up the wood stove.

We had a friend who was up in the UP for a while after college. His first teaching job before he could get enough of a resume and time publishing to get an academic position further south. He said it was not unheard of for people to need to establish tunnels from their mailbox to their front door by Thanksgiving. Fairly normal by midwinter.

I will happily take my upstate NY weather.

And it looks that cloudy and rainey is the forecast for the next week or so for the eastern UP. I really wish it would snow vs this yuk.

Celia-- in our first stint here 1970s, the snow totals were higher I think. Snow mounds at intersections were spray painted so drivers could more easily see what was coming up. Also why many of the 1900 and earlier houses have doors on the second floor leading to the porch. At our first house we did use the 2nd floor bathroom window, which opened onto a porch roof, to get out a couple of times. Less from total snow but drifting. I love winter up here when its a true winter.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=JkDecwl1&id=09E6617E7838FE5F1AE9A6C52591DD876C48A4B9&thid=OIP.JkDecwl1hMbnKtcXSCKtcAHaFj&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.saultonline.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F02%2Fwinter-from-hell-1-1.jpg&exph=639&expw=852&q=snow+pictures+sault+sainte+marie+1899&simid=608036512674481695&selectedIndex=11&qpvt=snow+pictures+sault+sainte+marie+1899&ajaxhist=0

@Rookie said:
about the just-about-never-ending rain here for the past ten days or so. At least it’s liquid, unlike what fell in the upper peninsula this morning: :o

https://www.wsaw.com/content/news/Morning-snow-covers-town-in-Michigans-Upper-Peninsula-495276951.html
Soooo, 18 foot waves in Lake Superior and you’re off to a symposium to paddle with the Tsunami Ranges and a little rain keeps you off the water?

Down here we’ve been on the edge of a cold front for a while. It was 88 degrees as we came off the water earlier in the week and then 59 the next day. It was a “cool” 88 but a regular 59!

We’ve been trying to sneak out between the rain showers. Not planning to complain when it’s WARM…supposed to be in the mid 70’s today and 80’s this coming week.

Rookie, my parents loved to camp in the Smokies. Back then it took a full day to get there and once there my Dad refused to leave.
It rained a lot , like days on end. We spent a lot of time sitting at the picnic table under a tarp. After awhile, the canvas tent would leak if you touched it . I honed my fire making abilities back then so we had a little warmth to offset the clammy conditions.
As an adult, at the first rain drops, we went home.

@TomL said:

Soooo, 18 foot waves in Lake Superior and you’re off to a symposium to paddle with the Tsunami Ranges and a little rain keeps you off the water?

Down here we’ve been on the edge of a cold front for a while. It was 88 degrees as we came off the water earlier in the week and then 59 the next day. It was a “cool” 88 but a regular 59!

We’ve been trying to sneak out between the rain showers. Not planning to complain when it’s WARM…supposed to be in the mid 70’s today and 80’s this coming week.

The Tsunami Ranger was at GLSKS. :slight_smile: No Rangers at The Gales Storm Gathering which started Wednesday, but they do have quite excellent coaches. I don’t mind paddling in the rain, but not when it’s foggy, in the high 40s, and overall dreary. A bummer, too, as the fall colors would be fabulous with some sunlight on them. Maybe next weekend, which looks good if the forecast is accurate.

@string. Playing with damp cards at the picnic table? My most memorable camping experience was sleeping in a Colorado meadow without a tent, just a sleeping bag. When I woke up my hair was frozen with dew.

Note to self:
Do not go camping with any of these people…

@grayhawk said:
Note to self:

:smiley:

Our weather here is better organized. Not much snow in town (there are variations), but the rest falls on the nearby mountains for skiing (mid December until mid April). We use the snow at least twice each year, first to ski and later to kayak when it melts.

damp weather

winters in Rochester, MN, were bitterly cold, but the sun was out most of the time.

winters in Kirkland, WA were mostly dreary, a ‘coldish’ light rain fairly often.

Though prefer the former for the overall ‘feeling’ (can’t describe, maybe it’s a ‘mental health’ thing), I’ll go with the latter for the access to ‘liquid’ water.

(these days I’m in an area where I get more of the sun, and less of the cold rain)

It’s raining here, and to me, one of the best things about fall is a day when it rains all day and a whole new perspective on fall colors is created, both in the colors themselves and the overall mood of the landscape or forest. So? A friend of mine and I are going on a hike in a trail-less woods this afternoon, rain or shine (or actually, rain or no rain, since there is no chance that the sun will shine).

@grayhawk said:
Note to self:

Oh, we could have quite the thread devoted to just this topic…

@grayhawk said:
Note to self:

You can go with me now if you can afford the motel .

Well Rookie it’s supposed to be 84 tomorrow and 83 Tuesday in this part of Michigan in case you want to ditch school and take a little drive. Same to Yooper.

@Celia said:
We had a friend who was up in the UP for a while after college. His first teaching job before he could get enough of a resume and time publishing to get an academic position further south. He said it was not unheard of for people to need to establish tunnels from their mailbox to their front door by Thanksgiving. Fairly normal by midwinter.

I will happily take my upstate NY weather.

Move NW a little… tunnels are not unheard of on the Tug Hill Plateau… I went to school in Canton and my BF was there too. His parents were in Syracuse… 108 inches on I 81 put a kibosh on travel from one storm… Then BF went to the Army and served at Camp Drum and took courses at Syracuse Univ at night… More than one time he drove through Adams… four feet of snow in one night.

Well I can complain…but it won’t do any good Michael is coming for a visit.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?cone#contents

@kayamedic Canton? I was in Potsdam. The wind driven snow was fu-reezing up there.

Ah but there wasn’t a lot of it… Not enough to dissuade us from taking a flask and a blankie onto the golf course. It was actually quite nice at times. Meanwhile Father in Law to Be was having a snit fit at young son not being present to shovel him out. Even 66 inches did not dissuade the old one from going to work.

I was in Canton when they rolled Waterman Hill rather than plowing it