I hate the colour of my boat

I just bought a new dimensions Typhoon, I took the boat out once and loved it. It is perfect for me, but I hate the colour, it is fire(yellow, orange and red. Has any one else had this problem? I hope I can get used to it. I am presently trying to find another one in Vancouver but I dont think they make Dimension anymore, And there colour selection is poor for for a boring guy like me, I prefer a basic quiet green.

Yes
I hate the color of your boat too.

at this point in my paddling life
I don’t look at my boat when i’m in it. I know that sounds crazy but I’m either focused on the horizon if there are any conditions at all or I’m somewhere deep in thought. Color really is beside the point now…wasn’t always that way. I remember falling in love with the red Nordkapp, she’s still a beauty but after the green Cetus I think I could paddle any color except pink.

Ugly Kayak
Paint it !

garyg

I think I cant
It is polyethelene

On land…
I like ‘cloudburst’ or any variety of blue. But on the water I always wish it was yellow, orange, or a yellow/orange combo. Much more visible, and, frankly, just sexier.

I really dig the colors you have.

Actually
I was teasing , but I will bet you could paint it , it may not look like a factory job , and will offend the snobs , but if it makes you happy , go for it !!!

garyg

why’d you buy it if you hate the color?

good question
I bought the boat cause it met all of my requirements and it was the only colour to choose from , and i was excited that I found a boat that suited my needs on paper, I never thought about the color untill I got it home and I said “holy crap did I just buy that thing”. I think I bought the boat too fast. Every one that sees the boat likes the colour. I may grow to like it, I dont know. the problem is I love the boat, otherwize, I would get rid of it fast.

If you were

…a colorful person like me, it would be fine.

Just paddle it. I paddled a pink kayak last week and once I was in the boat I never noticed the color but that coul be an internal flaw within my make-up.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

for what it’s worth
on the Neckys I’ve seen in fire, I like that color

You might get used to it
I got a snot-green paddle not long ago. It didn’t look as green in the catalog, or else I might have bought something else.

Today I didn’t even notice it was snot-green. You might get used to it, although reds and yellows are harder to ignore than snot-green.

You may grow to like it . . .
For one, you’ll be visible on the water. If you get run over by a power boater, you’ll have the consolation of knowing that he was aiming at you.

Seriously, the color may look great to a lot of other people. The color combinations I don’t like are the gaudy ones that make a kayak look like one of those cheap artificially-colored popsicles.

You can paint it, but it’ll be
temporary. Nothing really workd that great with Poly boats. If that’s the only thing that bothers you, keep it until you find a suitable replacement in a better color. By then you might be used to it.

I picked the least visible color (olive green) and somehow every power boat on the river hasn’t run me down yet. Reality is that you and your paddle are more likely to be seen before the kayak in rough water.

Sell it to one of these guys that love that color.

jim

I also like a nice, basic, quiet green
…First boat was red…Second (current) is orange (oooo, the glare)…

When your getting a deal you can’t change the color…

Yes, you’ll get used to it.

Paddle it with pride my flaming friend…

(will) See You (coming a mile away) On The Water,

Rob

As usual Mediceman
you and I are on the same page. I don’t look at the color of my boat. Then again the color of the boat really wouldn’t be an issue for me. Someone wants to give me a hot pink feathercraft or whatever color you want, I’ll paddle it without complaint. The only place I am picky is in my camping gear. I like my backpacking tents and tarps to blend into their surroundings and not stand out. Helps when commando camping. Now on my bivy I have put some reflective tape so I can find it. Learned not to go out on a night hike and come back only to forget exactly where you left your UL bivy that blends in with the ground.

Options
It’s hard to get paint to stick to polyethylene, but some folks have reported good luck with the Krylon Fusion spray paint that’s designed for plastics.

Another option might be to use a colored plastic tape:

http://www.identi-tape.com/vinyltwo.htm

Orange can be very good

– Last Updated: Aug-23-08 10:12 AM EST –

One yellow deck boat, three orange and a red fiberglass sea kayaks, and a red RM one. One red WW boat, two orange and one pretty faded and camouflage painted at some point blue.

The orange ones and the yellow are the only boat decks that can be seen in any water and any light, and longest into dusk. The only reason the red glass boat stays visible is the white hull. And the yellow deck boat has more of a tendency to fade in really bright sun and breaking waves than the orange ones.

I had a teal blue or turquoise, depending on your blue-green color vision, RM sea kayak. Since waters in the northeast are usually more like grey or blue-green-grey, it was highly visible. But the only shift to the green side that would have been equally visible would have been a real lime green, and even that may have disappeared more in bright sun.

Our paddles are black, as are most higher end ones , so they are mostly helpful when someone catches a light against the SOLAS tape on the shaft. However, in the conditions that make visibility most daunting, that inbetween light where boaters don't realize what they can't see or deep fog, the SOLAS tape is not so effective.

color
Part of the reason why I bought my boat (Necky Manitou in fire) is because I liked the color. I also wanted something bright so it would stand out and power boats would see me. However, now that I’ve been paddling a while and seen people in kayaks of all sorts of colors, I don’t think the color means that much. In the store, the lime green color looked barfy to me, but when I’ve seen one out on the lake, it actually looks pretty cool. Same with yellow.

Decals
Google “decals” and you will spend alot of time trying to decide what to stick all over your boat to cover it up. No one will look at the color again, only the stuff you stick on the boat, and you will definitely stand out and be remembered according to your selections, so choose wisely, or very whimsically. You need to know that the decals you get hold up very well and do not come off easily. You can also get them in light reflective material, so they double as a safety feature for night paddling. And you will, again, definitely stand out.