Inexpensive GP?

Chucks GP plans
Not yet but by the end of the weekend I will be! Thanks for the link, some one is already asking me about one similar. With my nose so deep in saw dust I haven’t the time to do proper “hands on” reasearch. That is why threads in forums like this are so valuable to me! I think it is awesome that so many people are so willing to share their knoledge.

I have indeed checked out the Turtles, and they seem to be a very well thought out and constructed paddle. Very good price too. I have yet to come across a Superior yet, but will someday, I imagine.

thanks again!

eric.

Shipping cost
Mine was a one piece, boxed in cardboard with minimal paper padding. UPS cost about $22 for “select” service. “Select” is supposed to beam no conveyors, but this is UPS we’re talking about.

The PVC pipe is a great idea.

Jim

Rack case
The shipping/roof rack item is a winner! Worth the extra $ is done nicely. Good added value. Just make sure it can hold more than one for the roof rack option to be viable.

But then - how many wouldn’t want it - or want to do their own rck thing?

Black PVC pipe (foamed - it’s lighter - if you can find big enough) would look better on my rack - but the paddles would cook! Need vents! I should make one - as my GP is a bit much inside a Neon (but it fits thanks to rear split fold down seat in the back and buckets up front).

Can’t take credit really.
The shipping container thing was mine, but not the rack idea. Another of our brethren here (sorry, forgot who) mentioned some time ago of making a carrier something like this where he could carry up to five at a time.

86" by 3.5 WRC

– Last Updated: Aug-15-04 12:37 PM EST –

And it's sweet!!!!!!! I ordered shoulderless and am currently hacking one out of some cheap wood. Going for beefier blades and more area up to the shoulder. It's slow going, but I'm not in a hurry.

I'll try to put some pics of the end caps and foam soon.
Edit: 08/15/04
Here are a couple of pics of the caps. I hope this works.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=175060172

Yeah, that part’s
not new. I’ve seen a couple locally and they’ve been discussed before.

Shipping in one is different though (I think).

WoodenWarrior is cool
Just wanted to say, man I am impressed with my fellow Michigander. It’s not often you find a business man these days so willing to accommodate. Rock on, dude! You keep these practices up, and I think you’ll have a name for yourself quicker than you’d imagine. Listening and responding to your clientele is a great way to develop a good rep, and I see a seriously bright future. What is the name of your shop, if I may be so bold?

I Am Impressed…
some 40 plus responses and not a one yet to denigrate the GP or to extoll the supreme virtues of wing or Euro. Could it be… P-Netters are letting its own seek that which pleases the individual paddler without dogmatic considerations…

Could be just a blip. :slight_smile:

sing

(who paddles with GP and Euro. Wings… Those are for birds, aren’t they? LOL!)

sing

Sing
I think everyone is working out their aggressions on the B & B forum!

Thank Goodness! :slight_smile:

Aero GP case
Being divorced with no children I obviously have way too much time on my hands…

I was thinking about constructing a PVC case for my GP (its a bit much in a Suby OB too!). ANy thoughts about creating a domed or pointy front cap for the pipe? My only idea is to glue minicell to the cap and shape it like a rocket nose cone.

Jim

Ends caps
4" PVC slip caps come both flat ended and slightly domed - which is enough for better aerodynamics on the forward end.

[] vs [)

You just have to hunt around to find them. For most application it doesn’t matter, so you may need to try a few stores.

domed caps
I have a theory to modify a cap if one wants to go through the trouble. PVC is very pliable when heated. Take your blow torch or heat gun to it, then just push out the middle. The part that slides over the tube will likely collapse, so screw or glue it to the tube first. Use a long stick and push through the tube. You should be able to mold it into a shape you like. It needs to be quite hot though so be carefull. And a heat gun will not blacken the plastic as easily as a blow torch.

Coefficient of drag
After all, I would hate to dirty up my Outback with rack, boat and spacebooster by adding an unaerodynamic paddle case!

Jim

Blushing
Thank you for the undeserved praise. I do my best. I got a negative feedback on e-bay and it drives me nuts. I do not fully understand the problem, and was never contacted after the initial purchase. But I have not given up resolution!

My companies are:

Prestige Wooden Yachts

Traditional Marine Services

thanks for asking!

Maybe next summer a bunch of us Michiganders can get together and paddle on the Saginaw Bay somtime. Others would be welcome also of course!

Stainless mixing bowl? (NM)

4" PVC pipe
I’ve been using the PVC pipe idea to transport paddles for the last three years. I’ve flown to Florida and Central America with my GP in a PVC pipe. It has worked well and so far no damage. But, I do know that they are occasionally damaged even in PVC by the airlines. I just glued a little foam into the end caps to help hold the paddle in position. And, I tuck a little piece of foam somewhere in the body of the tube as well. The paddle sometimes gets a few scratches/minor abbrasions by rubbing around in the tube but it is not a big deal. I highly recommend that you write your name and address on the tube with a permanet marker if you travel with it. I did have a paddle get lost and go to Europe when it was supposed to come back home to Michigan with me. It eventually did make it home.

I’ve taken to traveling with my real narrow paddle which will just fit into at 3" ID PVC pipe. I find the 3" tube much easier to carry and the paddle really has plenty of bite and rolling power.

I’ve seen people connect their 'paddle case’to the car as was mentioned above and actually there is a company that makes really nice end caps which open and latch easily-but I guess they are not cheap. You can paint the pipe the same color as your car if you want-it can look really nice (not like just a piece of PVC).

David

I’ve been using one with a domed cap…
…for three years now. I use a screw cap on the other end. A 4" PVC pipe will hold 3 paddles.

For our trip to Shetland - where we needed to carry a full size and storm paddle each - I made a case out of a PVC fence/mailbox post. It’s thinner, lighter and holds 5 paddles in a fleece wrap. I installed a wood plug in one end (screwed in) and a cap/plug combination secured with a nylon strap and fastex buckle The airlines did manage to rip the end cap off on the trip over, so for the way back, I stuffed a very tight minicel foam plug in the end and covered it with duct tape. Despite the airline’s best efforts, it stayed in place.

PVC pipe doors
Here is the company - aptly named USA Tube Doors.

And they are not cheap, but a complete kit of door, cap, and mounting brackets is $49.50.

http://www.ustubedoors.com/pvcdoor.html

Jim

Nice, but pricey and more drag
IIRC, the screw cap I used was less than $10 and it presents a lower profile to the wind.