Inflatable PFD Advice

What do you think of the Astral V8 and do you have other suggestions?

There is no way to take kiddo with any other meaning than sarcastic or insulting, and pro-tip, sarcasm doesn’t communicate well online

I’ll tell you what, you tell me what I should do to make things right with Ms. Celia and I will do it. Since you have been on here longer then me.

Stop instigating and trying to refute everything that is posted. If you don’t want to agree with her posts, just out her on your ignore list and move on

People have disagreements. There is nothing wrong with that. You should not try and make things perfect all the time. It is apologizing and making up later that matters. Like old man Mac, mechanic at the Strategic Air Command and later a master antique floor restorer, once told me. They would have disputes on the line that would lead to near and actual fist fights. Then they would go and have a beer later.

If you want to have a “virtual” fist fight and “virtually” hug it out later, you might be in the wrong place. The kind of approach generally doesn’t work online where everyone is anonymous and a debate is very different when it isn’t real time and on the spot

It was an analogy.

I know. I edited my post in case you didn’t get it

Peace is not the absence of war and congeniality is not the absence of disagreement.

You win, I’m done. Good luck

mjac, this horse was beat to death several posts back. When it comes to gear the only way you will know everything you need to know is to use it. Lacking that, get one and try it on.
We have no way of knowing how something you wear is going to feel to you. If you put one on, move around, sit (in a boat if possible), do paddling motions for a while, you should know if you will like it with a fair degree of confidence.

I agree. I have to find a store that carries PDFs. I am going to try tomorrow. But if I have to take a shot online, it would be the Astral V8, unless someone has other suggestions.

Way to go, Welcome aboard! We often disagree about stuff here, That’s normal. Folks for the most part try to be civil. It is very easy to to mistake intent when reading a written response unless you know the person. Writing poorly conveys the tone and facial expression of the person responding. Then too our many paddling experiences may not relate to or be applicable in a different paddling environment. Celia is well respected for her knowledge and helpfulness.

That didn’t sound too bad.I really do not see what is wrong with honest disagreement. It is healthy.

On a really hot day, why not wear a cotton t-shirt under your PFD and carry a couple of 2 liter bottles of water that you can pour over yourself.

Personally however, I would not paddle in contaminated water in the first place. Here is Maryland they monitor the waterways and close them to certain activities if the water is deemed unsafe. Kayaking is a water sport and you are not likely to stay completely dry.

That is an idea. What do you think of the Astral V8?

Maybe you should start a new topic asking this specific question. This PFD is relatively new and not many people will have had direct experience with it. It would be important to know what other PFDs they have owned and how this one compares. Astral PFDs are fairly well liked in general.

How about these numbers. You fill the handle with water and some ice cubes, turn on the fan with a button in the back, then pump water into the fan with the trigger and…Mist. Runs on two AAs.

Got two on clearance at Walmart for $5. They are now $3. They are not cheaply made, pretty heavy plastic. Who wants one?

I am going to do that. Another good idea. Would concentrate the thread on the relevant subject. Getting a non bulky, cool PFD.I did not know the Astral V8 was relatively new. I thought it had been out for a while. That is among other things I have learned here. Learning curve.

At least two other vests were suggested in this thread.