Iowa new bee

Hello
I am just getting started in Kayaking. I bought a new Kestral 140X and I am super excited to go out on the Iowa river and explore.
I grew up on the Chesapeake bay and have lots of experience with sail boats and crew racing shells . But I have never had a kayak. This is going to be a total learning experience.

Enjoy. Suggest you link up with a kayak club. Google " kayak Cubs Iowa" or check out paddle.com kayak clubs.

Welcome and congratulations!

Easiest way to start is by signing up for a lesson on the fundamentals.

Have a great time on your journey!

I looked into the clubs. Most are a little ways away. I am going to start on the easy areas near home. I have spent a great deal of time over winter reading a lot about the fundamentals of paddling and safety.
I also did a huge amount of study to purchase a kayak.

I am looking forward to photography and bird watching along the rivers in Iowa. Maybe take a long trip down to the Mississippi. But that is for later. Right now I’m just waiting for nice weather and a break from work.

I don’t know where you are in Iowa, but when I went to school there I found rivers to be a sanctuary from what otherwise was an endless expanse of corn and soybean fields. In a state for which most areas seem to be 100-percent farm fields, it’s amazing how wild and unspoiled things look from vantage point of so many of the rivers. Happy paddling.

Lot of good information on the Iowa Water Trails site. http://iowawatertrails.org
David

I am in Iowa city
I am from Maryland. There the water is all private property. So getting access to the bay is limited to crowded boat ramp parks and that sort of thing. I rode bicycles and motorcycles all over the place. Miles of open roads with mountains and Forrest’s and farms and high speed interstates . Skyline drive and the shanondoa valley just to name a few. In Iowa like you said. It is beautiful but the roads are not interesting. So I am looking forward to just paddling around. No engine no computers systems . Nothing to tune or fuss with.

No one would ever pretend that Iowa is beautiful. There are a couple of areas that are more scenic. The Driftless area in the northeastern part of the state is quite nice particularly the area along the Mississippi River. It is not far from you. The other section is the Loess Hills region in the far western portion of the state. Most of the flat water in the state is in reservoirs. As such the shorelines are largely public property. So while Iowa has one of the least amounts of public land in the country, access to the reservoirs is pretty good. The two large ones in your area are MacBride and Coralville. Coralville is a flood control reservoir so the water levels fluctuate a lot. MacBride was built for recreation so it does not suffer as badly. You will notice that Iowa has some of the worst water quality in the nation due to massive and large unregulated agricultural runoff but at least there are places to paddle.
David

I hope to do more paddling than swimming. That is for sure.
I mostly want to just look around and waist the day relaxing . My idea is to paddle upstream. Then drift back.

You said you have done quite a bit of reading about kayaking basics. That’s a start, but why not go on YouTube and check out the videos. Concentrate on videos that demo the forward stroke and also maneuvering strokes.

I assume you also have purchased a paddle. Most people don’t do all that well when buying their first paddle, so don’t be surprised if that issue comes up. The same is usually true of a proper pfd and footwear. I would also suggest that you consider paddling gloves. There are lots of open fingered gloves available without spending a wad on official paddling gloves. If you go bare handed, you will get some callouses in places where they can be a bother and if nothing else, gloves will protect your hands from the burning sun.

Most beginning paddlers will have a natural timidity about waves. I suggest that you purposely experiment with waves and how they affect your boat. Let the waves (power boat wakes) hit your boat on the beam and see how it handles it. Stay loose and don’t over-react. Gaining confidence in your boat is a very big deal and might take some time, but it will make paddling much more enjoyable.

It’s almost a certainty that if kayaking gets in your blood, you’ll be looking at longer faster boats. You picked a very good brand; if, or when the bug bites, the CD Prana is about as good as it gets.
Happy kayaking.

Thanks for the great advice
I have watched every u tube video I can find. (Winter in Iowa sucks)
I have been looking at all the gear. I have Sandels and bicycle gloves that will work in warm weather. I plan to row in cold weather . But will wait to get a wet or dry suit later.

As for the paddle. This is interesting so I have not
Pulled the trigger. I don’t actually have the boat yet. I put down 500 bucks got it on sale for 1399.00 and am waiting for the tax return .

The paddles I was looking at are the recommended Warner Cameno. Very nice. But then I looked at the carbon fiber ones. OMG. I have a full carbon bicycle and am a total sucker for the stuff.
So I will be researching that . I looked at the Ovation and the Kalliesti . Don’t know the difference yet . And want to find out if streight or bent shaft is for me. Also a little confused about 230 or 220 cm. I have a damaged shoulder . It is fixed now but I suspect I am a low paddler based on the way I paddle a canoe.
I am also building a rack system this weekend. I have a pile of scrap copper pipe left over for a plumbing project on the house.

Iowa City is kinda out there. Paddling with other paddlers with more experience can be very educational some times it’s worth the miles.

@Racer X said:
Very nice. But then I looked at the carbon fiber ones. OMG. I have a full carbon bicycle and am a total sucker for the stuff.
So I will be researching that . I looked at the Ovation and the Kalliesti . Don’t know the difference yet . And want to find out if streight or bent shaft is for me. Also a little confused about 230 or 220 cm. I have a damaged shoulder . It is fixed now but I suspect I am a low paddler based on the way I paddle a canoe.

CanoeSport Outfitters is just a couple hour drive from you. They carry Werner paddles, have ACA certified instructors on staff, classes, and a “Demofest” is scheduled for April 7. Looks like a good resource, especially for choosing a paddle.

Nice thanks I will definitely check that out

It’s good to see someone doing their homework instead of buying a 10’ pool toy and wondering how to make it work wonderful.

I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing. And I really enjoy the adventure of discovery. My original choice was a Pungo 120 and a paddle I already have. My wife was like “no way” I took her to look at the Pungo and she is friends with the salesmen. They had me sitting in about four different boats .the kestral 140 really fit my long legs. I am 6 foot tall and 210 lb. so the other boats would have been tight. I was a little nervous buying such a nice boat for a first one. But a 1399.00 it was only 400 more than the Pungo 120 and there is not much better . So I won’t outgrow it in a yeas.

@RacerX

Oh the places you’ll go! There is fun to be done!” [Dr. Seuss]

Hope you keep us posted once you actually get on the water and start exploring. It’s always nice to hear about someone’s newfound passion for paddling.

I was stuck in bed a little over 8 years ago. I knew once they figured out what had me down and how to fix it there were new things I was going to make a priority. One of them was kayaking. Like you I grew up on and in the water. I did the research found a used sea kayak and paddle. Joined a group paddle at the coast 3 hours from home, and never looked back. Felt good to be a water rat again. There is a high probability you will be hooked by kayaking just like your bike riding. Do keep us posted as you paddle on!

220 230 length paddle seems way long for that boat and you hieght even for low angle paddling. Try a 215.

I have looked at the charts and the kestral 140 is 26 inches wide. I am 6 feet tall. I have long arms. The Werner chart says 5.6 to 6 foot 220. 6 foot and taller go with 230. Being 6 foot I am between sizes. I don’t see 215 as an option in the list. So I should go with 220? I do like the bent shaft. Or at least it sounds good.