Iowa new bee

Crank shaft kayak paddles are heavier than straight shaft kayak paddles and weaker. If you are ever in a rescue situation in which you need to hold and paddle with two paddles in your hands, crank shaft paddles make that much more difficult. They also typically restrict your hand placement to one position on the shaft.

Some people get wrist pain with straight shaft paddles and crank shaft paddles can correct that. They do not make your stroke stronger.

@Racer X said:
I do like the bent shaft. Or at least it sounds good.

https://www.kayakacademy.com/pages/paddles#bentshaft

You didn’t mention wrist issues; only a damaged shoulder. Once you get seat time and mileage in, if your shoulder is an issue you might consider a Greenland paddle. The GP was the only way I could paddle distances after a shoulder fracture. Now I carry both my GP and Werner Cyprus and switch between the two, many times while on the water.

Just something to think about in the future. A backup paddle is a good thing to carry.

Do not entirely rule out a 230–especially if you think you might need to stick with a low angle. As far as the paddle goes the Werner Camano is a great paddle and unless you have a real thing for carbon, the glass paddle is fine and really light. As a matter of fact the paddle I always use on my main sea kayak is a 230 Camano. There is another paddle that I always recommend and for the money it is super and that is the Carlisle Expedition. This paddle is available through Amazon and the price should be about $150, or less, but it also pays to shop around. If you find a dealer that carries them, you can always make an offer. These paddles used to have a suggested retail price of $159. I offered $120 for mine and got it, but that was a few years ago.

I would suggest you stick with a straight shaft for a lot of reasons, but mainly because the straight shaft allows shifting when the wind, or current is trying to affect the boat.

You said you have sandals for summer use. I think you will find that wet shoes are a much better choice. Look at what NRS has in above ankle water shoes. Get the kind that have the side zipper. If you do go for wet shoes, you might as well pick up a Peets boot drier. Always use it to dry the shoes and they won’t stink.

@Racer X said:
I have looked at the charts and the kestral 140 is 26 inches wide. I am 6 feet tall. I have long arms. The Werner chart says 5.6 to 6 foot 220. 6 foot and taller go with 230. Being 6 foot I am between sizes. I don’t see 215 as an option in the list. So I should go with 220? I do like the bent shaft. Or at least it sounds good.

I think those recommendations ignore some physical variables. I am 6’5" with some of the extra in my torso. I have long arms and paddle high angle. I use a 210 to 215 paddle.
I started with a 240.
You have to figure out what fits you best and that takes some time.
Variable length paddles are great to experiment with. They are more expensive than fixed length, but you only have to buy one.

Wow thanks everyone so much good advice.

So I am still confused between 220 and 230. I do like the cameno paddle. It also comes in carbon.
I did not realize the bent shaft is weak but it makes sense. I do like the streight shaft for caring hold positions.

I have been thinking about having an extra paddle. What do you do if you drop your paddle? You are up a creak :slight_smile:

Today I built a wall rack and a wash stand and a coat rack and rearranged the garage. All ready to bring home my new baby.
I will have a roof cradle for my van next week . Still enjoying reading and shopping.

I think most people would find 230 cm to be too long as a kayak paddle. In my early solo-canoe days, when I used a double-blade paddle, I found that 230 cm worked well for me when used at a high-angle, but admittedly I also was working my upper body in ways to make the paddle more vertical in the water than I’ve ever seen a kayaker do. But I’m 6’1" and was sitting in the canoe on a seat that was about 8 or 9 inches off the floor, and no one sits that high in a kayak.

A crank shaft paddle is not necessarily weak, but they are not as strong on a same weight basis as a straight shaft paddle.

No worries about the paddle you use; before you know it, you’ll have a whole pile of them to choose from. Even so, most of them will end up just taking up space after you figure out what feels best and fits your paddling style. You might check with Werner, or whichever maker you like to see if they can make you a 225 if you’re unsure about 220, or 230.

By the way, I was checking Amazon and see that they have the Carlisle Expedition Fishing paddle on sale for $99. That paddle is the same as the regular Expedition except for the color–which is a putrid green instead of “gold.” At $99, that paddle is a steal if you can get past the color.

I use 230cm paddles.

Today I am beginning the gear shopping thing. It is not warm in Iowa yet and won’t be shorts and sandle weather till June .
I will need shoes ,pants ,gloves maybe a coat. I have a couple hats
I need a thing to hold my sunglasses on. I have a go pro but need to figure out a mount.
Let’s see what else? I bought a really cool paddle leash on EBay . The roof rack for my van will be here in a couple days.

This is fun

Still on about paddles. I would like to avoid having a pile of paddles sitting around. Given the choice between 220 And 230. What is better? To long or to short.

Today I’m going to the shop and talk to the guys at the store. They have them all. I will probably sit in the kayak and try out a couple to see what thay think.

Again, don’t rely that much on what others think you should have. Try out different lengths and see what works for you. I still think that at your height and with long arms, you would be fine with a 230 and especially if you settle on a low angle style. I am taller and have long arms and have paddled with everything from 200 on up. I absolutely prefer the 230 and feel kind of naked without it when it comes to bracing in big water conditions.

I think you mentioned that you have a shoulder that might be a problem. A low angle style might be the way to go. I don’t have any shoulder problems (knock on wood), but I have settled on low angle for a couple of reasons. Number one, it’s less tiring on long distances and it has an added advantage. You can extend your forward stoke a little without lifting water. I have even found that sprinting need not be high angle. One could also argue that a low angle even encourages torso rotation a little bit more than high angle, but that might be an individual thing.

Sunglasses - check out SeaSpecs.
Paddle - get an adjustable from 220-230.

I went to the shop to drool on my boat. I forgot it was a kestral 140x not the standerd 140 kestrel. That means it is 28 inches wide not 26. That puts me squarely in the 230 range on all the charts. Plus they suggest the 230 without hesitation. Plus I can try out the paddles before I buy one. So that is all good.
Come on spring!!!

With your height and boat width, I think you will be fine with a 230 cm paddle.

Still gathering stuff to add to my kayaking collection. I have a PFD
water proof phone case.
Compass
Whistle
Paddle leash
Roof rack and all tie down straps
Hat
Sunglasses
Go pro and mount
Digital Camera
Wet shoes
Cold weather paddle clothing
A case to put it all in
But still don’t have a boat. Or paddle.
Should be next week. The only thing I bought was the paddle leash and roof rack
So far I have about $200.00 spent on accessories.

All that for $200? Mmmmm… Are you a burglar, a fence or the government? :confused:

I bought the rack for my van and the kayak holder on eBay. That was very cheap.
The water proof phone case was from my wife that upgraded to I phone 7 and my 6 fits the in the case.

The garage wall rack and two stands I made from a pile of 3/4 inch copper pipe and left over plumbing elbows. I remodeled my house and replaced all the pipes. I also built a staircase and used the pipes as decorative elements. The pipes come in 10 ft sections . I had to buy 19 pieces. Then cut some to 7 foot and some to 6 foot . The rest was expensive scrap.
The PFD was leftover from my sailboat .
The go pro was a Christmas gift from 7 years ago I use it on the motorcycle I race.

The rest was stuff I just have lying around like tons of bike clothing that will work great for kayaking .

Tonight I payed off the boat so it’s all mine now. Tomorrow I will register it and pick it up before the weekend.

I can’t wait. It is a beautiful boat. White with green trim.

Good to hear the boat is yours! O hope you enjoy it.

Very resourceful …and better than the other two. Reminds me of my Iowa farmer relatives.