Iowa new bee

Wishing you great weather for your weekend adventure! Also, congrats on your boat #1. :slight_smile:

I just figured out how to post photos

What holds it down to the roof? That’s not the normal part of the roof where racks ride. Is this secure with out oil-canning?

The Chevy City Express is designed as a work delivery truck for urban areas it has a reinforced rails and built in attachment points 26 inside and six outside. 8x1.25 hardware hold it down to the roof. It is made to attach a ladder rack. Also there are six loops inside. I can attach two flat straps to the rear and run a strap to triangulate it at the rear.
The front can attach under the front bumper or back to the roof rack. And of corse there are straps that go around the hull and secure it to the cradle.

I got her home

My wife would like the color matching.

My wife helped me decide on the Kestrel.
safe and sound inside.

That’s a nifty vehicle. Looks like a great place to change clothes, sleep, cook, etc.

It’s great. I do land speed racing with a motorcycle. I can live in the van for a week. Use it as a work shop and drive home. It gets close to 30 mpg. My wife and I can go camping with it . We can take the dogs and not worry about rain.

I got all registered and now I have to put numbers on the side. The mailbox numbers look awful on such a beautiful boat. I went to a sign shop and I am having numbers printed in vinyl that is made for boats. I am using the same font that is already on the boat side . It’s going to rain and snow this weekend anyhow.

is your kayak over 13 feet in length? I’ve forgotten what you posted in your previous thread. My understanding is that registration isn’t required on anything under that. I purposefully boated iowa in a short boat to get around registration laws. I found it to be a very boater friendly state- good free access, nice affordable camping, available shuttle service, and the rivers (big paint creek, Volga, Upper Iowa, Yellow, Wapsinicon) all exceeded my expectations.

If got the 140 x so it is 14 feet long. Registration cost $12.00 and I drive past the court house every day . It was no big deal. Except I hate having to put stickers on the boat. But I get really nice looking stickers so it’s all good. With my luck I figure if I did not register I would paddle up to a DNR training group on my first day out on the water

I got my numbers on and everything is ready to go. I got some water proof socks and a pair of water proof pants that have water proof boots built in. The pants are on order. They should be here in a couple days, but I don’t need them. Saturday will be the maiden voyage. I am really excited to hit the high seas. Well the lake at Terry trueblood Park.