Is Kayaking A Sport?

I’m not talking about racers or things like Water Tribe. I mean just paddling. To me it is more of a past time, a hobby, or a way of life. It is exercise but I just can’t bring myself to think of it as a sport the way I do it and see most people do it.

No… there’s no winning or losing…
Therefore, it’s just a past time…

Unless you compete…

Sport isn’t just about winning an losing
Hunting, fishing, and boating are all considered a sport. Of course, your sport may also be your life.

ABSOLUTELY
NOT!!! In order for it to qualify as being a sport it has to have a ball and a offense and defense. So it should be considered as a recreational activity-- kind of like ummmmmmmmmm…frisbee- it definitely has it’s challenges but at the end of the day it’s still a frisbee.

Kayak Racing is a Sport…
Kayaking is not…

A sport requires physical exertion and competition…

List of water sports, kayaking and
canoing are among those listed. A sport does not require competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_water_sports

semantics
depends on how you define sport. If you define it as “competition between other people” then no, however, in doing so, you exclude fishing, hunting and many other activities that most consider “sports”. If you define it as competition against something else, like fish or game, to include fishing and hunting, then it can be hard to rule out kayaking, as you may be competing against the wind, waves, tide, etc. I think most of us enjoy paddling in some adverse conditions on occasion, so personally, I would call it a sport. But it really does just depend on how you define it.

Right

– Last Updated: Jan-06-08 5:52 AM EST –

For some a kayak is something to carry their beer in. For others it's a piece of athletic equipment.

While we're at it... golf is usually recognized as a sport, but is your average golfer an athlete? I don't think so.

sports.
I do think its a sport.

at least its some kind off exercice…wen you paddle for 6 hour almost none stop and have hard time wit your showlder the next morning because off it…call it sport.

it depend the effort you put into it. (exercise way)

i see some sport in the olympiques that would not there if we think like that.what about curling…haha.

and if you think like that all sport could me not a sport…bicycle…done slowly pretty bowring, not a sport…

this is a hard question.but canoeing and kayaking is more a sport then a lot off other,past time’’ i would think.

pastime is more…collect something ex stamps…or takes pictures…or woodworking etc.

if its physical=sport.

joco

winter semantics
there are so many different categories that have been included in the olympics over the years that anything can be considered a sport. To say “kayaking” is not a sport would be the same as saying cycling is not a sport. both utilize a piece of equipment and both can be used as either a competitive venue or not. so if all I have is my 100 lb Wally world bicycle that I take out once a week am I engaging in a sport?

It is definitely winter.

Paul

Kayaking is a sport.

Just like darts, bocce, juggling, curling, miniature golf and NASCAR are sports.

Sport Utility Vehicle?
I guess sitting in the driveway can be a sport… :slight_smile:

I’ll just settle this right now!
Yes, it’s a ‘sport’. Unless you don’t want it to be, then it’s a ‘diversion’.

Main Entry: sport

Function: noun

Date: 15th century

1 a: a source of diversion : recreation b: sexual play c (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2): a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

2 a: pleasantry jest b: often mean-spirited jesting : mockery derision

3 a: something tossed or driven about in or as if in play b: laughingstock

4 a: sportsman b: a person considered with respect to living up to the ideals of sportsmanship c: a companionable person

5: an individual exhibiting a sudden deviation from type beyond the normal limits of individual variation usually as a result of mutation especially of somatic tissue

synonyms see fun

The envelope, please
I like Definition #5. Visualize a bunch of winter kayakers landing on your beach for lunch. Especially the contortions with relief zippers under the cags…

Winter??!@#$%??
Winter, what’s that? Maybe along with the definition of sport, I should look up the definition of winter. :slight_smile:

Hey Paul, just take a little drive and come do some paddling down here in S. FL. It’s never really winter here. Other than a little wind, the paddling has been great lately, and the water’s still warm enough to practice rolls without a wetsuit.

Pedro

p.s. Remember me??

Where is G_K when we need him? (nm)

I didn’t think that sex
was a sport until I heared a prostitute refered to as “A sportin gal” !

Does it matter what it’s called?
Really. Some think it’s a sport any time you get in a boat, others think it has to be competitive - why does it matter what someone labels it?

Sport all the way.
To me is a sport. In fact, if I do not have the time to train at least three times a week, I would ruther not to paddle at all -like in 2006. If I would want a recreational activity, I would be boating, sealing, and/or jetsking! :slight_smile:

Not competitive?
Everytime I go out with anyone, it’s obvious to me that kayaking is inherently a competitive sport. No we aren’t officially racing from a point A to point B, it is much more subtle than that.

It seems to be highly competitive to me. It’s just that everyone has a slightly different idea of where the start and finish are and what determines the winner.

jim