Is Kayaking A Sport?

Come to San Diego …
We don’t need cags and relief zippers.

Of course it’s a sport…

– Last Updated: Jan-06-08 11:56 AM EST –

It's just not always a competitive endeavor.

Is bowling, or poker a sport?
Poker is competitive, and is shown on ESPN. I think , if you can drink beer while doing it, it’s probably not a sport.

IT Is Whatever…
you want it to be, or make it to be.

sing

its
its a sickness…and seems to be a communicable disease at that.

I don’t think competition is necessary
"A physical activity engaged in for pleasure."

I think paddling qualifies easily here–as does hunting, golf, bowling, etc.

I think it excludes sitting in your SUV in your driveway, though.

And maybe still fishing.

Right
Like billiards…

Dan

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com

“A physical activity engaged in for plea
"A physical activity engaged in for pleasure.”

Then is peeing–you know, when you gotta go wicked bad–a sport?

Yes … by definition
but does it really matter.

is sealin’ and whalin’ a sport?..
No… it’s WHATS FOR DINNER!

Certainly is a sport
By the dictionary definition of sport, kayaking whether you are racing or just paddling recreationally is a sport. Nothing in the definition of sport requires that there be competition.

From Merriam Webster:

Sport 1 a: a source of diversion : recreation b: (1): physical activity engaged in for pleasure

Sounds like a sport to me!

is sitting in a hot tub a sport?

– Last Updated: Jan-06-08 5:43 PM EST –

is relaxing at the beach a sport?
is taking a short stroll through the woods to explore natures beauty a sport?

I consider kayaking, no matter how much exertion is involved an escape. But thats just my opinion.

Depends what section
of an outdoor equipment web site/department store you find it under. After all, don’t Madison Avenue advertisers tell us how we should think?

PS - It’s like “rec kayaks” and “day touring kayaks.”(Please don’t start a thread on that.)

sport-science-art
for some a sport

for some a science

for some an art

Hey
If they can call NASCAR a sport!!!

Life style
I have not read any postings on this but my spin on it is Kayaking (FOR ME) is a lifestyle thing. It’s what I do to vanish into myself.

There is racing and a competative edge, indeed we have rolling competitions and the likes some of which I have won.

Still for me its a life style choice.

Alex

Dont you think you answered
your own question four times in the original question itself?

You even say what you want from it.

I like 1.b. myself

A pointless distinction

– Last Updated: Jan-07-08 1:17 PM EST –

Let's take running. I run along a path along a bayou behind my house. Is that sport? Occasionally I will run a 10K race. Is it sport now? The kids on the junior high track team by my house running distance races, is it sport for them? Most people would say "no" to me running along the bayou, "maybe" to me running a 10K, "yes" to the track team, but in every case it is the exact same physical activity - running, running I and they do not because we get paid for it, but because we enjoy it. Sometimes we run a course prescribed for us by others, and we run with others, sometimes we run the route we choose and we run it by ourselves. So the exact same physical activity can be judged a "sport" in two incidences and not a sport in one - what does that tell you about the insignificance of the term "sport" in the grand scheme of things?

So if it makes sense to you to call kayaking a sport when you do it along a prescribed course with other people who are trying to finish the course before you, but doing the exact same activity on your own doesn't qualify - if that works for you, do it. I don't concern myself with such things. I don't worry about the apparent inconsistency that "sport" implies physical exertion, but I exert myself to a much higher degree while running or paddling by myself - nonsports - than an overweight 50-something businessman exerts himself playing a round of golf, and he gets to call it a "sport". I don't worry about the inconsistency that fishing involves neither competition or exertion, yet I am considered a "sportsman" when I do it. I just do it.

Ball and win/lose = GAME, not sport. *NM