Is Kayaking A Sport?

A sport with an Olympic tradition that
they give out medals for every 4 years in flatwater racing and slalom. There are regional races, surfing comps, slalom, freestyle, cardboard boat races, kayak fish comps, you name it. If you want to drop a boat in a still pond paddle to the center and take nap I’m fine with whatever you want to call it.

Dogmaticus

thank you celia
That was my thought also.

I think if it’s a race then sure, it’s a sport. For what I do with it, “sport” is far too limited a definition.

For me? Nope…its just
THERAPY!!!

Life is so full of stress, anxiety, etc that the only time I am really at peace is while paddling. (or during that OTHER activity!!!)

Scott

It Can Be Considered A Sport
This discussion came about on my hiking site once about hiking, whether it’s a sport. According the the dictionary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

It says a sport can be something that’s competitive, but doesn’t always have to be.

-Capri

Kayaking is nothing
"Things derive their being and nature by mutual dependence and are nothing in themselves."

Nagarjuna, second-century Buddhist philosopher

tell david wells that

sport & semantics
the word sport has so many imprecise and colloquial definitions in the English language.

Kayaking will fit within some and not others.

And, since there are different ways to use a kayak, some of those uses will fit definitions of sport while others will not.

Either way it’s an exercise in semantics.

But then some people will enjoy that. Semantics is a sport to them.

NASCAR

– Last Updated: Jan-07-08 5:01 PM EST –

N on
A thletic
S port
C entered
A round
R ednecks

a redneck told me that one. a very strong, athletic redneck.

Is an athlete required
before an activity can be deemed a sport?

What about a hotdog eating contest where the athletes…“hurts to say it” purge themselves with fat and sodium and a winner is named.

So i guess the answer is quite simple,

If your fit then any activity is a sport.

If your a slug then noth’in you do is a sport.

went out with a sheila
who after a couple of long island teas told me she liked ‘water sports’, excited I asked is she ever paddled…that too she replied.

WHO REALLY TRULY CARES…???
Sport, recreation, leisure activity, fitness regimen, whatever…

We all enjoy it for our own reasons, all conceive of it in our own way, all participate in it for what WE can get out of it. The racers race. The fitness buffs fitness paddle. The group paddlers paddle in groups. The loners paddle alone. The socializer’s socialize. The canoeists drink beer. Oh, now waaaaaait a minit, not all of them do. Some of’em even like to go really fast.

So, see what I mean?

We all do it in our own special way because for WIDE variety of reason, regardless of how we label it, we -very basically, for whatever motivation -like to get out on the water and just plain

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

its all relative
I love baseball, but some games an outfielder will get no balls hit to him and strike out three times. Total effort 10 minutes.

I would call a 5 hour paddle , weather down a class three or around lake just as much an athletic “sporting” activity.

I’ll go with past time
If you’re competing then it becomes a sport.

nope, it’s an addiction