It was cold water safety week

Three accidents in this post all lakes. In addition to the dangers of cold water, people don’t realize how tricky it can be to paddle open water in the wind - it might not look bad from shore, or you unknowingly paddle from a protected section out into an unprotected section. Put the two together, and it is a real bad combination.

1 Like

Probably went a couple years before you. Here is a thread that you, me, Dougd and Angstrom (don’t think he or Doug are here anymore).

I loved NH AMC WW School. Great effort effort by volunteers, great weekend of paddling, skills development and relationship building. I think I met Tommy C1 there. Also, CoolCanoeChic and her significant partner who I backed up as a safety boater for a number of class II whitewater trips she let at Deerfield, upper Androscoggin, Piscat, Ashuelot…

sing

It’s the stretch from the US 202 crossing of the Contoocook just N of Peterborough to Powdermill Pond.

Did the class III section of the Contoocook yesterday, and continued down to through the class II section. Too busy staying upright to get any pictures on the good stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72177720298338177

Nice. That’s also best flyshing section of the Contoocook. Lots of pocket water for ww boaters and trout lairs.

I was at Quinnie yesterday for flyfishing. The water was high enough for a ww run, but nobody came down during my time there.

sing

Westfield release is this weekend - imagine a lot of people are there.

Did see a lot of fisherman, but you’r right - they were in the eddies and we were out in the current.