"jump in" method of re entry

does this method need a certain cockpit shape to work? would it work with a perception 15 / easky 15 / eddyline equinox ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRfGAJb5oL0&t=0m34s

thanks

That’s also known as a cowboy reentry. As far as I’m concerned it takes skinny younger people.

Yes, I agree with Overstreet. All these methods are a lot harder for us “normal” older folks to do than this lithe young guy makes them appear. The “jump-in” would not be feasible for most people, even relatively fit ones, unless they were gymnastically trained and inclined.

I paddle an Easky LV and have practiced the Cowboy scramble numerous times and it is tedious. The Easky cockpit is just large enough to allow me to drop my butt into it as I work my way up from the stern deck and then draw in each leg one at a time. With smaller cockpits or if your legs and thighs are larger than mine, one option is to do a backwards cowboy and lay on your belly facing the stern and guide your legs into the cockpit and then flip over and slide slide your butt in.

I feel the need to mention that you should NEVER drop your paddle during a capsize, as the guy in the video does so carelessly and nonchalantly. You hang on to it and either use it to help you get back in the boat or secure it inside the boat or under the deck lines before you get back in. Note that the young dude is also not wearing a spray skirt – probably because having one slows your exit from the capsized boat and because it tends to get in the way during a re-entry. But it is a necessary item of equipment in most conditions so not practicing while wearing one is also not realistic.

Honestly, I’d watch some videos by other instructors, not this guy, who is more showing off than offering a realistic instruction.

You need cockpit to get legs in that is big enough. And the physical power to do what he does.

I am 50 years, weighs 100 kg (around 220 pounds), mostly because of excess fat, and according to the VO2MAX calculation in my watch, my fitness is below average for my age group.

I can do a cowboy reentry, and it is easy. But I do use my paddle as an outrigger while jumping up.

He makes it look pretty easy!

Most people can do something very similar to this using the paddle - with a paddle float attached - as an “outrigger”.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6jdA46AV78I

In addition to cockpit length, you need enough kayak width to be stable enough to work (surf skis make this easier), and calm enough conditions. On some narrow kayak hulls and in rough water, it just won’t work.

FYI, the “trick” to this is that you kick your legs to get them up to the surface, and they you “swim” your belly up onto the back deck. You DON’T perform a massive pull-up while hanging vertically, which is the number one mistake. I don’t like these rescues as they cause plenty of bruises and rely on fine balance (and can be tough on low-hanging body parts – just sayin’).

I’d prefer to use a paddle float for reentry and roll (if I couldn’t roll) as first choice, and a paddle-float reentry as my second choice.

Greg

Dude. Grab your paddle!

The scramble was the first reentry I learned and mastered. I used to think it was all I needed, but then I considered what sort of conditions might dump me into the drink and I’d be unlikely to succeed in that scenario. Since then I’ve added quite a few to the arsenal.

I’ve seen both ends of the spectrum on this one, those who struggle greatly and those that make it look easy. I fit closer to the “make it look easy” end of the scale, though I’ll admit that doing a few of these in a row is very tiring, especially when the air/water is cold. For that reason alone, I might try something else that takes less energy if I was really in trouble and might not get a second chance.

I’m torn on the reenter/roll. Even a novice roller can get it done, but you’re left with a cockpit full of water. At least with an unloaded boat many of the other methods can leave you with only an inch or two of water when you’re done.

Here’s a more realistic video of cowboy re-entry (and the ways that it can go wrong.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9VgFiW92j8

Good video. Definitely more realistic than the first one, if perhaps a little contrived.

One difference I personally find is that in my Assateague I can’t drop my legs into the boat while my butt is in the seat. My shins hit the front of the coaming first. This makes balancing at the point of dropping into the cockpit much more difficult.

@kfbrady said:
He makes it look pretty easy!

Most people can do something very similar to this using the paddle - with a paddle float attached - as an “outrigger”.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6jdA46AV78I

I don’t think it’s a good idea to stuff a fully inflated paddle float between your legs as if you capsize again, that inflated float could interfere with your exit. It only takes a moment to get the air out by releasing the valves and holding the float under water while it’s still attached to the paddle.

I still prefer this heel hook method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIW-rQtqVQ

@Rookie said:

This video cost me a paddle. I suspect you don’t have quite the same mass as I do, as I couldn’t make it work for me. Good thing I have a bunch of other ways to get back in. :smile:

Well I still think the cowboy scramble is NOT likely to work in real conditions. (3 feet and bigger). I was with a group doing cowboy scrambles. It was about a 2 to 2.5 foot wave day. These same paddlers were doing the cowboy scramble just a week before no problem on a calm day. On this day with waves most failed over and over. the waves just flipped them right back over. I say learn to roll. Now even if your roll is say only so so. Attach a paddle float and your roll can NOT fail. This assumes you had the basics of a regular roll first. Cowboy scramble is tiring. Iam in pretty good shape and after just 2 scrambles my heart is pounding pretty good. Now if you never go out in any waves then the scramble will most likely work for you. BUT I still think depending on a scramble to save your butt is not a good idea. I think its a real bad idea.

We should all practice assisted rescues with the folks we go out paddling with. Properly executed assisted rescues are so much easier, not to mention less stressful.

I hope to have a chance to practice the side entry “scoop” assisted rescue some time this year. It looks like a good one to know in case you have to help an injured or exhausted paddler regain their boat.

https://paddling.com/learn/scoop-rescue/

I could never do that cowboy thing. Rolling up is much easier for me.

Willowleaf… just my opinion… for every minute you spend practicing assisted rescues you should spend an hour practicing self-rescue.

@Sparky961 said:

This video cost me a paddle. I suspect you don’t have quite the same mass as I do, as I couldn’t make it work for me. Good thing I have a bunch of other ways to get back in. :smile:

Oh, dear. So sorry about that! Yes, different body mass (110# summer weight) - I also try to keep weight off the paddle. I had rigged a bungee so I could attach the paddle to my 14-foot kayak (quick release). Still trying to work out a similar concept with the LV boat. DIfferent rigging. Also want to see how well my GP works as an outrigger without a float attached. I should do the testing at the pool, but the pool is small and this year it’s been quite crowded so I may hold off until the ice melts and play here at home.

Rookie… just learn to brace and roll. No need for heel hooks or paddle floats or cowboy stuff. Then change your name to Intermediate or something similar. You can do it!

@Rookie said:
I don’t think it’s a good idea to stuff a fully inflated paddle float between your legs as if you capsize again, that inflated float could interfere with your exit. It only takes a moment to get the air out by releasing the valves and holding the float under water while it’s still attached to the paddle.

I agree. In fact I want the float still attached to the paddle, and used for additional stability, while I pump out and reattach my skirt, especially if the water is anything but flat calm. A boat full of water is not too stable. That’s how I was taught.

I also agree on the heel hook.

I have to agree that staying in the boat is easier than any kind of re-entry in conditions that might flip you. Some sea kayaks would rather be upright and are happy to assist you in that endeavor. All they ask is that you lay back and up you go. The British style–upturned ends–seem to be particularly adept at this. It works for me.

Rex, I completely agree. But since I kayak alone more often than with others and can practice self rescue any time, I need to arrange willing partners to practice assisted rescues, both for myself and for the others. And I think both techniques need to be in your toolbox. I have more often been on outings where another person capsized than when I did.