Kayak kits - choosing

Kayak kits - choosing
I doubt it. It looks too canoey for me to think it could go anywhere near any kind of waves.

Eric Schade

– Last Updated: Oct-24-07 8:40 AM EST –

I built the 16,18 and17W Merganser from Shearwater. It's Eric Schades company. His Merganser17 is the same hull as the CLC Shearwater17 because the CLCShearwaters are his designs. I don't know anything about the Widgeon either. Re. hatches, by the time you finish the hull you've developed enough skills to make hatches. Not rocket science.

Nick Schade is Guillemot www.kayakforum.com

Pygmys nearby?
In your conversations with Pygmy, did you ask if there were any owners/builders near you? Most builders are happy to show off their work.

My wife is 5’0", and never felt really comfortable paddling until she got into a narrow, low-decked boat. Women tend to have shorter torsos and arms than men. A wide, deep rec-type boat is not a good match for a short woman. Building identical boats for two very different body types is not the best way for both of you to be comfortable on the water.

At a middle-aged 5’9", 160lbs I’ve paddled the AT14 and thought it was great fun. It’d be good for your wife, but possibly a bit tight and tippy for you coming straight out of the 138T.

working the problem
Angell is worried about fit (hips) for his wife with the narrow coaming and the conceptual shift involved with legs INSIDE as oppposed to seeing them in a BIG rec. coaming.

I’m trying to get him into demoing a Necky Manitou 13 and then a AT14.

I suspect the issue is not being able to see toes and that would imply being trapped.

Wood? Try a rubber duckie.

Same thought last night
The duckies (inflatable rafts) would handle the storage issue, but this guy talked about going on the ocean eventually. At that point it seems that he’s back into a kayak - or am I wrong about the duckies?

Understood

– Last Updated: Oct-24-07 4:19 PM EST –

It's hard to believe how easy it is to fall out of a sea-kayak-sized cockpit until you do it a few times.

If she's a good swimmer and has former experience in water sports, the stability issue might be better addressed by instruction than by boat selection. Once she learns that falling over and getting wet isn't a big deal, you can choose a boat for how it paddles instead of how it stays upright.

I'd second the suggestion to go play in some other boats for perspective before making a decison on the kits.

A little off of the thread, but
I’d like to make a stripper that would compete with with a Epic 18 or a QCC 700. I haven’t seen a design that seems close enough in my mind. Any suggestions?

Another alternative…
Why, oh why, has no one yet mentioned building SOF boats as an alternative here? Until this moment, I am guilty of this omission as well; perhaps because all of us were just trying our best to offer what was specifically asked for…“kit boat” recommendations (assumed to be S&G kit boats, for the most part, it seems).

Now, I know that Angell is excited about the idea of building “his and hers” boats, and as one who has had the pleasure of building one S&G kit boat so far, I can only encourage him to indeed find a way to build his own boats. It really is very satisfying on many levels.

For myself, I’m now very excited about finding some time to finally start working on my next building project…a SOF boat, and I wonder if this approach might be something for Angell and his wife to consider as well.

When it comes to DIY boat building, avoiding discussion of SOF building as a “first time builder project” seems as crazy to me as assuming that learning to roll is something an enthusiastic “beginner” needn’t concern themselves with. I’m sure glad I didn’t listen to that sort of advice, and started rolling as soon as I could figure out the basics of holding and manipulating a paddle!

So then, let’s ponder some of the potential advantages of SOF construction; even for a first time builder…

With all our rightful concerns about finding boats that fit our bodies, and allow us to make the best of the body/boat/blade connection for our paddling comfort and pleasure, with traditional SOF construction, “custom fit” is a built-in given.

Contrary to popular myth, SOF boats don’t necessarily have to be just super low volume rolling boats. With this method of construction, just about any shape of hull and deck can be achieved, and there are many people ready and willing to help a first time builder come up with a design that will best suit their needs and desires. There are even SOF building workshops/classes for those who are willing to pay a very reasonable price for professional instruction and supervision (will cost more than a complete DIY project, but still very reasonable compared to the price of commercial plastic or composite boats offering similar design and performance characteristics).

For their relative size, SOF boats can hardly be beaten for their light weight, while at the same time maintaining their strength and durability.

Relative to commercially made composite boats, plastic boats, and DIY kits or plan built wood/glass composite boats (S&G or Cedar strip), SOF boats can be very inexpensive indeed.

SOF boats can be built with very few tools. They can also be built in less time than many wood/glass boats.

Finally, though in a different way than wooden boats, they can also be very beautiful.

So then, what’s wrong with recommending someone look into SOF construction as a first time building project?

Melissa

Guillemot Mystery
I think,go check his website. I saw it at the Mystic CT boat show.

Guillemot Mystery
I think,go check his website. I saw it at the Mystic CT boat show.

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/MY

good point
I’ve seen a 24"x14’ skin boat once, looked like Alladins slipper

One Ocean Kayaks
For a kit, I’d recommend One Ocean Kayaks. He has kits for his Cirrus and Cirrus LT. Those might be a bit big for you, but he is currently working on a smaller version of the Cirrus, it’ll be called the Cirrus SLT. Check out his website which has a world of information on it and maybe you can write him an e-mail for specs on the Cirrus SLT.

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/index.htm

http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/stitchglue/stitchkayaks.htm

Good luck,

Pedro Almeida

Here are some more thoughts…
My wife and I paddle almost exclusively in rivers and lakes. I have built several Pygmy boats and have paddled all of their boats expect the smallest which I can’t fit into. My wife (5’1" 110#) paddles an Osprey 13. I personally would not like the std. Osprey for a river boat because it tracks like a train. However it would make an excellent lake boat and will turn well if leaned hard but for a novice looking for a good river boat…not the right boat. The AT14 is exactly sized for someone like you. It is a hard chine boat and as a novice the initial stability may seem a little weak but it does have excellent secondary stability. I think you would get use to this boat rather quickly. The Coho which I paddle is going to be too big for your desires and needs. I have also built some Waters Dancing boats and currently paddle their Solace 16XL which is an extremely stable boat. They also have some smaller boats that you should check out. So here is my bottom line recommendation for you and your wife.

Your wife will do fine with the Osprey 13 after she gets used to the smaller cockpit etc. In fact, she will come to love this boat because she will be able to cruise with you without having to expend a bunch of energy just to keep up.

You have more choices because there are more boats designed for your size. You already have had the Pygmy AT 14 recommended and that is a good boat. However you may want to consider either the Lighting 14 or the Solace 16EX by Waters Dancing. Both are soft chine boats and have excellent stability.

The good news is that Pygmy, CLC and Waters Dancing are all great companies to deal with and all of their products are of excellent quality.

Good luck and safe paddling.

Storage Options in Office
Had this thought on the way home yesterday re your storage issue.

First, one obvious option that answers the storage issue is folding kayaks. The downside of these is that you don’t get to build pretty looking things, and I don’t know if there is one out there that is well sized for someone your wife’s height etc.

But to storage - could you extend your allowable length in the office by having the boat(s) lie vertical and diagonally along a wall rather than having to fit along the length of the floor space? That way you get more room - easily enough calculated via cal for the hypotenuse (sp?) of a a right angle triangle (a squared plus b squared - c squared). We have one boat stored in the basement that is overlong for the space by propping it with its bow up higher and its nose down lower, butting into the bottom of the wall.

Moving on up

– Last Updated: Oct-26-07 11:11 AM EST –

I'd rather have the Old Town 13 than the Wood Duck 12. I think the Osprey (multi chine) is moving more in the direction of a real kayak and not a recreational boat. All those boats are sea worthy in the right hands. Try to move up to bulkheads and hatches - I think you'll be very happy you did that. Depending on where you live, you can contact CLC and see if a possible try is around. I just don't like short hard chine boats. I think they were invented so people could build something but for a paddle craft I would rather have a soft chine in a shorter boat. Less drag and those little hard chine boats always look ugly.

To confuse you further check out the Widgeon.

http://www.shearwater-boats.com/widgeon.html

6-8 panels
a rec. kayak is primarily a platform,nothing wrong with that but 6-8 panels would do a better job handling the paddling compromises in a short/fat boat like the Pungo. The Necky Manitous are the best transitional kayaks around. Have you paddled the Chinese made glass ones? Manitou 13 in glass is a perfect all around rec. boat for anyone who can sit upright in a kayak.

Kayak Kits - Choosing
I happened back this way and discovered the conversations had continued without me! I just want to thank all of you who responded - especially Lee G. who really helped me to work through these questions.

Good news! I ordered two Arctic Tern 14 kits from Pygmy Boats, which arrived the other day in good shape! I hope to finish building the construction table tomorrow and soon begin building the boats. Considering the quality of the kits and Pygmy’s support, I think building my first kayaks is going to be an enjoyable experience. Again, thanks for your help - I feel honored to be part of such a nice community of people.

Enjoy the experience! :slight_smile:
Glad you got the kits…now the fun begins!

One essential bit of workshop equipment: The Moaning Chair

Though there will never be any doubt that you will successfully build two beautiful boats, this chair will, at times, be your best friend. Be sure that it is very comfortable, as you may find yourself sitting in it for a stretch or two.

Enjoy!

Melissa

sounds great,
don’t forget www.kayakforum.com for the best immediate assistance in the weee hours.