Kayak Length vs Maximum Speed vs "Typical Touring Speed"

1 Like

And that is the best thing to do. Have fun and enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks again for all the wisdom and advice. It was never my intention to start a “discussion” on the merits of, or lack of, kayak length. I was just trying to calibrate my newbie brain as I wade into the world of kayaking.

The Vancouver Island trip was a great success, and would have been even without bringing home a kayak as I love Vancouver Island. In the end it was close to a toss up between the Sisu LV & the Norse Embla with a slight lean to the Embla.

And a quick shout out to all the Canadian kayak dealers that helped me out. Sam at Western Canoe & Kayak was amazing. Without his help I’d never have sourced the boat I brought home. And Asger at BestCoast Outfitters went “over and above” with his knowledge of these Danish designed kayaks and was super accommodating with a multiple boat demo in Victoria. I ultimate purchased my kayak from Viki up at Comox Valley Kayaks. Another great experience. My only real challenge with all these great shops was that I was only able to say “yes” to one of them. They were all so very helpful and patient.

Anyway, looking forward to exploring my neighboring island in the San Juan’s.

Cheers & Thanks, Bill

8 Likes

I think we now need to discuss car length vs. kayak length ratio vs. speed, drag and efficiency, LOL!

5 Likes

There are laws on that also having to do with your kayak length vs wheelbase of your car.

@DaveTheKayaker LOL, I’ve have similar thoughts. And one of my reasons for trying to better understand the effect length has on performance is that I wanted to minimize the comic effect of kayaking with a Fiat 500.

@PaddleDog52 In all my hours of searching for rack systems for the Fiat I never found even a hint of regulations on kayak length limits based on wheelbase. Wouldn’t be the first time my google skills came up short. Do you by chance have a reference you can share?

One note, there is a fair bit of wide angle distortion which makes this look crazier than it actually is.

I thought the Fiat 500 would be the poster child for small car kayaking but it doesn’t hold a candle to creative folks in their Smart cars. :grin:

Posted it here a few times comes up sometimes sometimes it doesn’t when I Google it.

It is to prevent a vehicle that turns on a dime with something long on the roof from swinging a big arc into another lane.

Your reply helped me refine my google search and I turned up the US DOT rule.

No State shall impose a front overhang limitation of less than 3 feet or a rear overhang limitation of less than 4 feet.

I easily meet this requirement an I appreciate you leading me towards new knowledge. :grin:

1 Like

That’s only part of it there’s a law based a wheelbase of vehicle.

Well if you ever stumble on the reference I’d be interested in reviewing it.

It’s on this forum somewhere.

I believe that overhang is measured from the axles, not the ends of the vehicle. State laws may be more restrictive or permissive and apply to non-federally owned roads.

I covet thy boat, sir!

2 Likes

It is very complicated. It matters which state you are in. In Washington, front over hang cannot exceed 3 feet beyond the bumper, and rear overhang cannot exceed 15 feet from the center of the last axle. RCW 46.44.034: Maximum lengths—Front and rear protrusions.
Typically there are also flagging requirements, in Washington anything over 4 feet behind the vehicle. RCW 46.37.140: Lamps, reflectors, and flags on projecting load., and at night requirements for a light on the overhanging load.

Thanks. Apparently I did as well since it took 5 hours of driving and 2 ferries (each way) to get it. But I’m really enjoying it so far. Today, and yesterday, were stunning fall days in the San Juan Islands.

5 Likes

It was 650 I have 4 somewhat similar. Current Designs Expedition, Extreme reg volume , 2 Extreme HV. Extreme was named Nomad exactly the same kayak. They are 18’.83" x 21.25" 48 to 52 lb. All 300-900 dollars. The one for 300 was the worst deal. :joy: It was another 600 in parts and paint 12 years ago with a bunch of my free labor to boot. I learned much from it.

Yellow one is CD Expedition rounder bottom faster than Extreme’s. Higher deck made to be loaded with gear for expeditions and still be fast. Empty bit tippy back keel is out of water 12"+ without me in it. Very dry ride with the higher now.

Dogs are an error picture but I’ll left them didn’t cost me anything :laughing:

2 Likes

What do you do with three Extremes? I am hoping to have one by early next year (they are limited in availability it seems in the Northeast).

They are out there. One reg volume, 2 high volume. One CD Expedition faster than Extreme’s. One Libra XT, one Solstice GT, one CD Titan.

Where are you located approximately?

are all these speeds in american miles, or nautical miles?

I blob along in my polyethlene glorified tug boat at about 5km/h, which is either 2.8nm or 3.1m /h
it’s 4m long, round bottom, and I don’t have the measurement on hand, but I’d call it on the chubby side.

I assume that doesn’t help you at all.

Lakes Region of New Hampshire - not far from the Maine Border. I have located Extremes for sale in Florida, Michigan, California, and Virginia. I just missed one for sale in Downeast Maine this summer. I am currently exploring one in New York. And there is an Expedition in California.

There is a nice Libra XT for sale in Concord, NH but I need a primary ride first. I have outgrown my rotomolded hand-me-down Perception Carolina 14.

I have been reading the “How far” posts with interest.

1 Like