Kayak sales tanking

https://www.statista.com/statistics/215488/total-kayak-units-sold-in-the-us/

If you take out fishing kayaks which I think have increased sales what would numbers be for sea kayaks

https://www.npd.com/wps/portal/npd/us/news/press-releases/2016/as-warmer-weather-approaches-recreation-kayak-sales-see-double-digit-growth-driven-by-fishing-kayaks-npd-reports/

What’s interesting is the increase in wetsuit purchases. That’s a good thing.

No dates, no scale.

I see dates

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.’” -Mark Twain

–Some of us have been really cleaning-up on the used/“certified pre-owned” market :slight_smile:

@spiritboat said:
“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.’” -Mark Twain

–Some of us have been really cleaning-up on the used/“certified pre-owned” market :slight_smile:

I have myself too but it doesn’t help new sales. Sea kayak sales are way way down. Even a video for Seaward kayaks says from busy times to now or a while back after they were on Shark tank show production is in half.

Maybe that cause some of us who bought kayaks 20 years ago still are using them…

That is good but I guess the last years after the crash people are not buying kayak at 3-5,000 dollar range just like boats sales have tanked, Last Jersey Paddle Sport show I talked to rep of major kayak company and he said sea kayak sales really tanked for them. even the mags are going bye-bye.

@Gs96c599@aol.com said:
That is good but I guess the last years after the crash people are not buying kayak at 3-5,000 dollar range just like boats sales have tanked, Last Jersey Paddle Sport show I talked to rep of major kayak company and he said sea kayak sales really tanked for them. even the mags are going bye-bye.

Your original stats are from 2013. Boat sales in Michigan increased 24% in 2015; the National Association of Marine Manufacturers reported an 8.4% increase in 2015 sales overall and anticipated another 7% increase in 2016. Haven’t seen any stats for 2016.

No idea of the state of the sea kayak market, but agree about the pricing. I demoed three $4K boats. Liked one, but not enough to pay $4,000 for it.

Part of the problem with new kayak sales is they have to compete with the large number of much lower priced used kayaks on the market. The cost of production goes up making the differential in prices much greater. The same thing is happening with sailboats because of a flooded used market. Why buy a 25,000 new sailboat when you can by a 5,000 one. Why buy a 4,000 kayak when you can get one for 800 used.

@castoff said:
Part of the problem with new kayak sales is they have to compete with the large number of much lower priced used kayaks on the market. The cost of production goes up making the differential in prices much greater. The same thing is happening with sailboats because of a flooded used market. Why buy a 25,000 new sailboat when you can by a 5,000 one. Why buy a 4,000 kayak when you can get one for 800 used.

exactly what I have been doing. But if demand was stronger more people would buy new.

There are just so many people for each new wizzbang before interest levels out and eventually diminishes. Look at beach cats, windsurfers, SCUBA etc.
SUPs are the hot item in the Keys now.

I think a few things are going on. First, the bombshell effect that the movie Deliverance had on baby boomers is fading as the boomers age and are less physically active or become unwilling to constantly invest in new toys. Second, the post-millenials have moved to a subscription-based economy in which many people lease cars, etc and in which if people want to do whitewater, they take lessons or courses in which everything is provided. Third, the market is flooded with good-enough products (cheap boats or previously used models) which are not perceptibly worse to the casual user.

IMO I believe kayaks are over priced… I purchased a new Hornbeck canoe in 2015 for $1500+ and I bought a used Old Town Cayuga 146 W/rudder in 2016 for $750 in near perfect condition. The point is I could buy two used for the price of one. And for the vast majority of us money is always an object… Just my thoughts…

Hey adkjoe, the same principle applies to cars.

huge load of cars coming off lease now that were bought after the crash they say pickings are ripe.

I really think people just want to do less now also. Rather be a couch potato or computer junkie just using their finger tips. When I tell people I went 15-20 miles in the kayak in 5-6 hours they cringe. Especially people my age. They won’t do it in their boats. :frowning:

@adkjoe said:
IMO I believe kayaks are over priced… I purchased a new Hornbeck canoe in 2015 for $1500+ and I bought a used Old Town Cayuga 146 W/rudder in 2016 for $750 in near perfect condition.

So, you are saying that because a plastic kayak that’s built by the thousands and mostly by a machine, cost you half as much when purchased used as a brand-new canoe that is built in very small numbers and entirely by hand, is your proof that new boats are over-priced? You might want to re-think some of the details there.

I think the earlier comment about how new fads can’t sustain themselves indefinitely was the most accurate of all. In any case, it’s been discussed here plenty of times how selling paddle craft is hardly a good way to get rich

@Guideboatguy said:

@adkjoe said:
IMO I believe kayaks are over priced… I purchased a new Hornbeck canoe in 2015 for $1500+ and I bought a used Old Town Cayuga 146 W/rudder in 2016 for $750 in near perfect condition.

So, you are saying that because a plastic kayak that’s built by the thousands and mostly by a machine, cost you half as much when purchased used as a brand-new canoe that is built in very small numbers and entirely by hand, is your proof that new boats are over-priced? You might want to re-think some of the details there.

I think the earlier comment about how new fads can’t sustain themselves indefinitely was the most accurate of all. In any case, it’s been discussed here plenty of times how selling paddle craft is hardly a good way to get rich

Companies that don’t make a decent profit usually fail to exist. That said I think they make a decent or respectable profit. Trick would be adjusting your cost if sales volumes change.