Kayak suggestions less than 40 lbs

Epic GP Sport
I had a Sport for a while. It is a terrific hull design and was the same as the sit in version. Extremely quick for its size and fun to paddle. It was no problem to cruise at 4-5 mph. It hit the wall at 6mph. We covered 6 miles in 1.5 hours and were dawdling. The sit in version has been lengthened a little since and should perform better. The cockpit looks a little big and I dont know what the thigh braces are but I would like to try one out. I like to fish from my boats and it was a little too small. A foot longer would have made it right for fishing. As far as performance goes, it would be hard to beat. Sold mine to a girl we know and she loves it. I was using a 210 cm Onno Midtour.

Have you heard…
of the Edmund Fitzgerald???

No, you are NOT safe on big water in an open boat with no flotation. You are not safe on Lake Superior at any time without at least a wetsuit. Please do a little reading on this site about what constitutes safe paddling in waters like Michigan and Superior and keep your Isere in protected waters where she belongs!

Phoenix Isere doesn’t have open cockpit
like a rec boat. See here: http://www.pokeboat.com/Isere.htm

I think there is some confusion on the definition of open cockpit.

It’s a pretty tough boat.

With float bags in the bow and stern and a good water skirt, it should be pretty seaworthy.

I’ve never paddled my Isere or any other boat on any of the great lakes, so I can’t advise you there.

Paddle safely.

Money no object?!?~!!!
west side boat shop solander or better!

American made, one of a kind, pieces of art.

Better late than never…
I have an Impex Mystic (14’) in carbon/kevlar that weighs around 40#. Not a great weight savings over a traditional layup. I also have a Pygmy Arctic Tern 14 that weighs in at 35# and cost less than 1/3 the cost of the Mystic.

I love both boats but if you have specific questions, ask away.

Kit boats
Thanks for all the great replys.

How long does it take to make the artic tern? Do you need to be a woodworker?

three months
is reasonable for a first time builder working twelve hours on the weekends and a few hours during the week.

DIY BuildingTime…

– Last Updated: Feb-21-07 10:55 AM EST –

...varies with the design, and with where you start - kit vs. plans and raw materials.
The VK, for example, takes me about 80-100 hours starting from a table of offsets and two sheets of ply. When designer Gerry Gladwin was active with the VK building workshops, he allowed 40 hours for participants to assemble the boat from pre-cut panels to a structurally complete hull (faired, no paint.) Bear in mind that the VK was designed for builders with limited skills, tools, time and money; simplicity is the key (peaked deck, non-flush hatches, etc.)
Re woodworking skills - woodworking is one of my hobbies, and I was surprised by how little those skills came into play in doing my first S&G kayak. There's not a lot of fancy cutting and fitting - mostly a matter of cutting stuff out, joining parts together, then fairing things up. The ability to follow simple directions and persistence are far more important than any esoteric skills.
If you want more info on building, you can check out the Kayak Building Bulletin Board - excellent site, with lots of very knowledgeable and helpful builders.
http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi.

That seems a lot longer
than it took us but it’s been awhile. No, you don’t have to be a woodworker. Heck, you don’t even need any tools to speak of.

a rowing machine
You can get a light boat but also make sure your core is strong.

Under 40#
i too could use a kayak under or at 40# but need an sot to get on and off easily. very hard to use a sink. any suggestions???

SOT under 40#
Have you looked at the Current Designs Kestral 140 SOT?

Hurricane Aquasports Phoenix SOT
they make four in their Phoenix series - all 28" in width.

The only model

sure
Protected waters. Otherwise you should probably fit a spray skirt, and dress for immersion (dry-or wetsuit). Looks like a pretty capable boat but perhaps check out the reviews.

(Of the isere not the edmund fitzgerald :wink: )

Also take a parts
Easy Rider makes a 15 foot Eskimo model in a three piece take a part that has a listed weight of 50 pounds. I would guess the heaviest section would be around 20 pounds. Could be moved in sections and assembled at the water.

http://www.easyriderkayaks.com/single_kayaks.htm

They make a 16 foot Eskimo w/o bulkheads or hatches listed at 35 pounds in carbon.

They make a Dolphin at 14’-9" w/o bulkheads or hatches listed at 28 pounds in carbon.

Use floatation bags for boats without bulkheads.

The Seda Vida was mentioned earlier. But they also make a couple of kayaks that are just a little longer and narrower and lighter. And more expensive. The Atajo, Starlet, and Gypsy. I’ve demo a couple of their other boats and they look well made. The owners are good people.

http://www.sedakayak.com/

Don

it’s gone!
It was there earlier in the month, and has been up for almost a year. The newsletters before and after it are still there.

Maybe some touchy sponsor issues :::shrug:::

Don’t know. But it was a fairly lengthy review.

Epic GP Sport
Hi -

I am looking for an Epic GP Sport, and I know you had one a few years ago. Do you know if the girl you sold it to still has it, might want to sell it? Any leads to an Epic GP Sport would be helpful.

Jon Raggett

kayakraggett@yahoo.com

I am in Carmel.