Kayaking is Amazing

I am sure that many people know about or were involved in the tragic Hurricanes that hit us in the South pretty bad. I live in Louisiana where we were safe from it but still though my heart goes out to all those who had to deal with losing their homes etc. We have dealt with this a few horrible times already and now we really know how to survive.

…so the past Month most of the waters I Kayak in were closed off due to high water and not to mention this strong wind that never seemed to go away.

Well…yesterday I finally was able to get in my Kayak again and it is just like riding a bike…it felt like I had never quit…I mostly Kayak the Lakes during this time of the year when it is hot (bear in mind I have only been Kayaking for about 3 Months now but have come so far I mean this Kayak feels like it is an extension of my body).

I really do not remember how I stumbled upon this sport. I just remember one day after getting a fresh haircut I decided that I would go out to Lakefront and get some sun. I did not see any Kayakers but I believe it was me seeing one outside of Dick’s Sporting Goods that must have gotten my mind focused on a Kayak…because overnight I really wanted one. I almost bought a $200.00 Kayak from Academy and thought to myself that this is too good to be true and they look cheap…so I did a ton of research as I suffer from severe OCD.

…so for my body weight and size I went with my beloved Jackson Journey 14’ and could not have made a better choice for my first Kayak…and I will have more. : )>
…but God the Lake was so calm so I paddled a really long distance out in the lake…then I put my Jaybird X3’s on and played some beautiful music through my iPod and just took it all in. Here I am all alone deep in the waters taking in the vitamins from the sun just completely isolated from people and the World I mean this is a perfect Morning just so Beautiful…

I stayed out there for a couple of hours practicing some maneuvers etc. then out of nowhere I hear lightning far away and then the sky starts getting kinda dark…but I do not panic…I SMILE. : )> I just know that big waves are coming to give me a challenge along with the wind and now my adrenaline is already pumping and I quickly put my Sprayskirt on as I can feel the wind all of a sudden without a warning pick up so I switched from my low angle paddle to my Corryvreckan which has more than enough blade to move me around and get me out of trouble. So I just stayed out there as the waves out of nowhere started getting really big. This is a bit of an exaggeration but I felt as if I was in that movie “the Perfect Storm” with Mark Wahlberg and George Clooney only these waves I was dealing with were far smaller…but big enough to intimidate me and get my adrenaline really pumped and going. I love this feeling and have always been a competitive person…it just runs in my blood and as a guy I think I get it from my Mom,lol…because she is crazy too…not stupid, just crazy. I just have so much confidence in myself that even if I do flip over if I cannot manage to roll well I have my paddle float/bilge pump, my PFD of course…just make sure I do not let go of my paddle and get my fingers wrapped around that deckline rope quick…but no panic.
I handeld everything surprisingly very well. This particular Kayak can handle some serious waves. I do have to say that a smart track rudder is something I am going to have to eventually put on my Kayak especially for those windy days.

This Kayak I have is wonderful…and yes it is a heavy Kayak but like I said this is my very first Kayak and I fit in it so perfectly. I am a strong guy so I can muscle this thing around and when I switch over to the Corryvreckan this paddle is almost the same as engaging 4x4 on my Toyota…the torque from the Werner Corryvreckan is about as good as it gets.

I am just so grateful that I have found something in my life that allows me to have that wonderful feeling I get when I am out in the waters free in my Kayak.

Now I am saving up for an all Carbon Werner Ikelos 215cm straight shaft. I am currently using a 210cm Corryvreckan which is awesome for river runs…but not so great for long Journeys… I tried out the same paddle in 220cm and at 5’11" it was just way too long. It amazes me how much of a difference 10cm makes as being an American we mostly go by inches…but now I know. I really want a 215cm as I know this will be the sweetspot for me for a combination of torque (even though it is less than the Corryvreckan but one will not fatigue as quick with the Ikleos).The thing is I started out as a High Angle paddler from the start and did not even realize that I was paddling this way until someone pointed it out to me. For some reason high angle paddling is the most natural and comfortable way for me to paddle. I would consider a nice low angle paddle but still I really want that Ikelos Carbon 215cm paddle…I can then hang it on my wall next to my other Paddles that I have. : )>

I love this sport as it is extremely therapeutic…who needs drugs when I can have that freedom out in the open waters, swamps, rivers, lakes…when I Kayak there are certain times when I will just stop paddling and just sit there and relax and just take it all in…put on some really good music from my iPod…and just smile. : )>

Yes.
Just remember that lightning can strike 3to 5 miles ahead of the storm. On a flat lake the kayaker’ s head and/or paddle may be the tallest thing around.

Sounds like someone is having too much fun.

Sounds like the rest of us.

I purchased a CF Corryvreckan in 210 CM it feels great in all my boats. The Extreme is 21.25 and the Libra XT tandem is 32" at it’s max. You may want to consider a 210 CM. I am 6’0". I wish my Ikelos was also 210 CM. I like the Corryvreckan better I think than the Ikelos but will try them back to back soon. I also have a 205 Ikelos which is nice in the Extreme. Dealer sold me the 215 CM when I first started. Corryvreckan is just a bit larger but you do feel it pull and I think it’s a tad faster with the bigger blade.

"I just have so much confidence in myself that even if I do flip over if I cannot manage to roll well I have my paddle float/bilge pump, my PFD of course…just make sure I do not let go of my paddle and get my fingers wrapped around that deckline rope quick…but no panic."

better to have to little confidence than to much it may get you in trouble. If you do get knocked out of the kayak conditions will be bad and self rescue will be a lot different than a calm water reentry. If you have never rolled don’t expect to do it when you need back up. Some water up a persons nose and choking in breaking waves changes everything. Check the weather every time out go out and remember they are wrong a lot so be prepared. I know a person here looking to sell a 215 Ikelos like new they said if you are interested they want a 210. I would have to look at my messages. If not him I may want to sell my 215 Ikelos and get a 210.

@PaddleDog52 said:
I purchased a CF Corryvreckan in 210 CM it feels great in all my boats. The Extreme is 21.25 and the Libra XT tandem is 32" at it’s max. You may want to consider a 210 CM. I am 6’0". I wish my Ikelos was also 210 CM. I like the Corryvreckan better I think than the Ikelos but will try them back to back soon. I also have a 205 Ikelos which is nice in the Extreme. Dealer sold me the 215 CM when I first started. Corryvreckan is just a bit larger but you do feel it pull and I think it’s a tad faster with the bigger blade.

"I just have so much confidence in myself that even if I do flip over if I cannot manage to roll well I have my paddle float/bilge pump, my PFD of course…just make sure I do not let go of my paddle and get my fingers wrapped around that deckline rope quick…but no panic."

better to have to little confidence than to much it may get you in trouble. If you do get knocked out of the kayak conditions will be bad and self rescue will be a lot different than a calm water reentry. If you have never rolled don’t expect to do it when you need back up. Some water up a persons nose and choking in breaking waves changes everything. Check the weather every time out go out and remember they are wrong a lot so be prepared. I know a person here looking to sell a 215 Ikelos like new they said if you are interested they want a 210. I would have to look at my messages. If not him I may want to sell my 215 Ikelos and get a 210.

Yes I am 5’11" and was first talked into buying a 220cm Corryvreckan…I asked why not a 210cm for my height and this salesman/friend of mine told me to never go by those charts they are very inaccurate and he swore to me that I would not like the 210cm Corryvreckan as it will be too short especially for distance paddling.
So I have an internet friend who works for a Kayaking company and he just decided to send me both sizes and just pay for the one I preferred and send him back the one I did not want…one was a 210cm and the other 220cm and wow the 220cm killed my shoulders when I paddled for long distances…not to mention just feeling worn out quicker. I also noticed that plenty of times the actual shaft would be going inside the water past the paddle along with quite a bit of flutter. So I would have to lower my angle to fix this to where it felt somewhat awkward.

I made it a point to paddle with the 220cm Corryvreckan first for a good solid hour…then I took a brief rest…then switched to the 210cm Corryvreckan. At first just holding the paddle it felt as if it would be too short (bear in mind up until this point I had only paddled both a 230cm Aquabound Sting Ray Hybrid and then the 220cm Corryvreckan) which was not much shorter than the Aquabound.

Immediately a game changer. It has awesome torque…and overall an awesome paddle for a high angle paddler like myself. I also noticed immediately that only the paddle was in the water not the shaft itself and also that I did not tire out nearly as quick. I can also create an extremely fast cadence with the 210cm over the 220cm Corryvreckan if I choose to do so for fun.

So the 210cm Corryvreckan easily won me over and it was awesome that I had a cool friend just send them both out free to test out. He swore I would be buying the 220cm and sending him back the 210cm but just the opposite happened.

I really do not need an Ikelos paddle or any other paddles for that matter I am just addicted to buying Kayaking gear. So I have changed my mind on buying any paddles for a while… I have a tendency to paddle too long without taking enough breaks and I’ll wear myself out sometimes doing this…so really it is my fault if I tire out but if I keep a nice steady cadence everything is great…but again the 210cm Corryvreckan is an awesome paddle for everything really and was just what I was looking for. I just really like seeing an all Carbon paddle and I have the fiberglass version which is great…but eventually I want an all carbon paddle…and would like to see how the Ikelos paddle feels as well…and if I decide to buy an all carbon paddle I really see it pointless to have 2 of the same paddle only one slightly lighter…kind of a waste of money IMO…so that would be my reasoning for the Ikelos.

Let’s admit it…for Kayakers like ourselves paddles are like drugs aren’t they? lol I cannot be the only one to make up silly reasons for needing another expensive paddle such as “well this other paddle I need will be all carbon and will have a slightly different shaped blade making it easier on me when the wind is 2 mph faster”. :wink: Right? or do I need help. Kayaker’s anonymous?

For now I am taking a break from Kayaking as I sustained a forearm ligament or tendon strain on my forearm/upper elbow area from overdoing a certain weight lifting exercise at the gym…this is one of those injuries that takes Months to heal.

I have Kayaked a few times since the injury but I think it would be much wiser to just let it heal up a bit more before going back out (which will kind of suck)…because this area of my arm is a bit tender when I am out Kayaking. I can go to the gym and workout around it and actually use straps and cables to help rehab it and that is helping but again ligaments and tendons are not like muscles…there is not enough blood around these areas to promote fast healing. I have been injured in other areas throughout the years especially when I raced semi-pro motocross years ago…so I do know how these injuries go.

…maybe I can get me one of those arm wraps to put around my forearm/elbow area and go kayaking that way and just take it easy out there (don’t know why I am just now thinking of doing this)…so yes I can still Kayak and take it easy out there…it’s not like I have to be a Champion every time I go out Kayaking. :slight_smile:

No clue on your injury but torso rotation is the power not the arm. If you like the 210 I personally would not buy a 215. You should be able to paddle for an hour without a break. Dealers s may want to sell what they have on the wall not what or need . Not all, just some. Some don’t really know any better. Others will look for your business long term and are more knowledgeable.

@PaddleDog52 said:
No clue on your injury but torso rotation is the power not the arm. If you like the 210 I personally would not buy a 215. You should be able to paddle for an hour without a break. Dealers s may want to sell what they have on the wall not what or need . Not all, just some. Some don’t really know any better. Others will look for your business long term and are more knowledgeable.

Yeah I definitely notice the torso is where it is at…that combined with putting the quad muscles into it etc. put it all together and it is wonderful. I can now lean forward with zero problems as before where I was always leaning back a bit…now I hardly even feel the back band as I am sitting upright much better and no longer need to lean backwards to feel relief. I was not as flexible in this area but now I am always bent slightly forward during my strokes especially when I am going for speed…and even though I am using much of my torso I try and keep my head forward and I notice that my arms are almost locked into position (another words I am not curling the paddle but more along the lines of pushing with my arm the blade that is out of the water while at the same time pulling the paddle that is in the water)…honestly once I get this down which takes about 10 minutes from warming up it all feels natural and very fluid. If I am exerted quickly this is because my form is off. I paddle for about 3 hours with no breaks when I go out (I start at the channel before the Lake and make this one trip through the Lake all the way up to the lighthouse then back)…repeat it then finally take a brief break for food and just to relax. I have a water contraption I took out of my biking camelpak rigged up to use for my water and keep Gatorade strapped inside the Kayak …I am not training for the olympics so why not make the most out of it…
but sometimes I really enjoy sprints…now with these there is no way I am going to be able to keep paddling nonstop for an hour,lol…but I put a lot into Kayaking I love it…I have always been competitive and it is just a habit. I would also like to proudly say that I am down to 225 where when I first started I was 240. All of that weight came off my belly and face…which is where I (and most of the Americans here I notice) hold most of our fat my arms and legs do not carry much fat at all thank God…but I felt healthy before…now I feel healthy only with far more energy.

…and I just want to say that yes I do believe that I am a pretty natural Kayaker as I tend to catch onto things pretty quick and I was quite athletic and still am…but I do accept the fact that like Carl Sagan from “the Cosmos” would always say “there is much to be learned”…

…anotherwords I realize that I know very little when compared to most of the Kayak guru’s here and really do appreciate the advice that I am given…even if some of it I have already figured out myself.

…but since I am dealing with an injury on my forearm (non Kayak related trust me) I have decided that I am going to just go out Kayaking and just relax and take it all in. Slow my cadence down and stop acting like I am in a race…I have still yet to do a real River run. Now may be the time for that as we have many of those just minutes away from me. There is always a constant stream so no paddling is even needed to actually move forward…the paddle is mostly for turning in these River Runs…correct if I am wrong. To me that just seems obvious like that doesn’t take a Rocket Surgeon to figure out. ; )>

SW, are you a budding author?

@string said:
SW, are you a budding author?

lol…actually for the moment I am in hiding from people as I do tend to stand out in the Country where I am…I am from the City and where I live people want to kill me.

With Kayaking I can just go out and be away from everyone. I know I tend to get all romantic when talking about Kayaking but I really love it so much I mean it is an outlet for freedom to me. No-one to bother me and if I so choose to take my headphones off…I can just listen to the waters sing as the Sun feeds me life and it brings me such immense joy.
I need to get back to Utah once I have enough money…people are very accepting of me in Utah. I tend to type faster than I think sometimes it is nuts I know. All my English teachers hated me I mean everyone of them because when they wanted details of a story we had to make up…well…they would just give up and put an A on it without even reading past the 20th page.

I am not claiming I am great…but when I actually take the time to write I have written some pretty decent stories in the past.
I need to get back to that place that dark place it is so beautiful and slow and calm…cold. The middle of the Night I am walking along that bridge away from the Church in the Autumn air…(seriously this is where I will walk at night time to help my mind relax) and I really should slow down again…it has been too long since I have written and miss it and need it for my own sanity.

OCD hits me hard and will last for Months…so far this is a record I have been dealing with OCD for almost a year now it is debilitating especially with Doctors and Shrinks no longer giving out anything that really helps me and I cannot handle Lithium or any of those horrible anti-depression whatever they are called type of meds…they make me worse. Kayaking helps…but it also excites me so much so again I need to take that walk to the Church down our Country road at night and just sit by the graveyard and just take it all in…meditate…realize that everything is going to be okay and life will slow down again and not feel all sped up all the time…now especially once the weather cools down I will be out there in that special place.

Best of luck. I’m glad you found a relaxing outlet. I have often sought and found peace in the outdoors.

You may want to consider eventually adding a Greenland paddle to your gear collection, especially since you seem prone to stress injuries. They use a different set of muscles and are easier on the joints – when on longer trips, switching between a GP and a standard paddle can increase your staying power and lessen fatigue. They are also more comfortable in windy conditions since the blades don’t catch the wind.

went out today in my CD Solstice. 20 mph wind glad I took my 205 Ikelos. Nice fast cadence into the wind. Was nice f0r power next to the hull.

“New love” always feels amazing. I’ll look for your report back in 2, 5 and 10 years.

sing

@sing said:

“New love” always feels amazing. I’ll look for your report back in 2, 5 and 10 years.

sing

Like a marriage. LOL

I started with fast ones, tried several varieties, and now I’m back to moderate and comfortable BOATS.

Me heading for 65 like comfortable and fast at times. Hence many boats LOL & paddles & gear. Went tonight for 4 mile high pace. Yesterday rough water one way and blew home many parts of the other direction. Guess that’s why paddling alone is good sometimes.

@PaddleDog52 said:
went out today in my CD Solstice. 20 mph wind glad I took my 205 Ikelos. Nice fast cadence into the wind. Was nice f0r power next to the hull.

You are crazy and I love it! So far the highest winds I did were around 15 mph (may have been more don’t know but it was kicking hard)…I forgot my sprayskirt and in the Lake I got just a little wet…:wink: man those waves get huge fast and had to turn around quick to go back to my truck to grab it… and also this is when I learned…after I was done kayaking for the day of course…that I forgot to feather my Corryvrecken, lol. I had never done that before and now I know why that can be VERY important.
Awesome new is that my forearm is getting better with my therapy. It is not healed and may take a couple more Months to heal but at least I can kayak at a decent pace without too much pain.

My next Kayak will be a lighter Kayak and I’ll actually be able to fit in smaller Kayaks as well…:slight_smile: People already calling me slim and trim and ready to go. Amazing how losing just 15 pounds does so much for a human being.

I may not be as bulky as I first was before I started Kayaking but I have more veins…whole body feels more solid…and have more strength in the gym. (I never was too keen on cardio just the weights hence why I was more bulkier…relaxed muscle I guess it is called).

I am so addicted to Kayaking I just want to keep going out. I have to wait until Friday as our weather once again sucks!!!

Call me crazy but is it just my imagination that it seems as if it is somewhat easier to Kayak against the current? Perhaps this is because where I first start off I am going against the current in my main location…then on the way back once I have been kayaking for hours maybe I am just kinda worn out on the way back making it seems as if going with the current is more tiring? Weird I know.

Going against the current seems faster because you seem to see more progress it just looks faster. Kayak is easier to keep straight than following sea. I dumped 32 lb. In 6 or 8 weeks near 4 inches on my belt. Bring down blood pressure. Feel better getting in kayak. Feel better getting dressed. It was doctor shock on the scale. Never in my life that heavy.

Stongest wind I was ever in was 32 mph went down to end of canal to small body of water. Not much space for wind fetch so waves were 2’ maximum. I was in my Solstice but it was hard to go forward. Guessing 2 mph. Max paddling effort was not out long 20 minutes and back up canal.

Went out in nearby bay great day when I started Then hit with squall with no skirt. Had partner with me. It was hard to watch her and go slow. Taking on water was not good feeling. I was not going to sink and close to short but it was a real awakening.

Usually feather between 30-45 now. I think 45 seems better now after mostly 30*. Seems easier with high angle and rotation.

Even a 4 mile fast paddle was nice last night usually don’t bother to go if time is shirt but it was nice glad I did it.
Be safe