Keeping The Mini Surf Streak Going

Seems like we have been getting some waves in New England every week since Christmas. An ocean storm passed SE of the Cape a couple days ago. Still getting 3’ swells @ 11-12 seconds this AM. Had a window of time after a 9 AM meeting. So I jumped on it.

Mahalo!!!

sing

2 Likes

Switched from the Gearlab Aukaneck (surf GP) back to my euro paddle. Took several sets to settle back into using the euro. While I am ok with the GP, I really do find I surf better with the euro. I am much more used to having more blade area right at the end of the shaft than spread out as with the GP. I feel more comfortable sprinting, ruddering and bracing with the euro. I am just not as physically conscious of the euro as I am with the GP in the surf zone.

For these weekly gift of waves, Mahalo!

sing

2 Likes

A much longer “streak” to sustain - the love of the ocean - by passing it forward in gratitude:

“It’s about connecting with the water… lessons of resilience, of courage and of love.”

Mahalo!

sing

Another ocean storm, more waves to ride. Coming in at 3’plus @ 11 seconds. Stiff 12-16 knot diagonal offshore wind that bumped up the wavefaces. Didn’t matter. Waves had some serious zip. The longboat length really dampened the bumps that would have been noticeable on my waveski.

Had a breakthrough with inside edge turns. The Sterling is riding like a XL longboard - directional changes and diagonals that i have not experienced with previous longboats. Wow… (looking forward to video review!l

The streak continues!

Mahalo!!!

sing

2 Likes

Really loving the Sterling Kayak. The Reg Lake design was definitely optimized for surf performance. :love_you_gesture:

Mahalo!

sing

Knee high waves at sunset. Nice to look at but not worth riding.

We have astronomical tides this week. Given current “pond conditions”, will have to hit the local tidal outflow for some standing waves tomorrow.

sing

Hey, what’s the surfing etiquette when you find the beach that crowded?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Okay, so now you got me missing the ocean (even in February)and wondering why I moved so far inland.

Nice stuff, keep it up.:+1:

we’ve got quite a range going on here as well (JaxFL)
To make matters worse, my paddle start time (and 2.5 hours later, finish time - ie: bad for 3 days) have been corresponding with low tide.
Luckily, I have lightweight kayaks so I don’t sink up beyond my high boots as I finally get to water on the creek that enters the St Johns R.

I am glad you helped turn me onto a truly lightweight kayak! (I do think about a 31 lb Petrel Play, but having just got the Sterling…) The pics above were taken with zoom. The carry would have been 150 yards plus. Have done it without stopping carrying the Sterling. Not bad unless there is a wind (which is usually the case right after a storm).

Looking forward to playing today, after the tide starts to ebb.

sing

I thought about moving to a less expensive locale, after retiring next year… I can’t do it. My wife does not want to move AND I WOULD MISS BEING 15-30 MINUTES AWAY FROM LAUNCHING INTO THE OCEAN, no matter the season. Since we are (I am) supposed to enjoy life after retiring, we’ll stick around. :slight_smile:

sing

2 Likes

So I missed the 6’ surf on Saturday because of my son’s 30th celebration. Settled instead for a Presidents’ Day Park & Play. Last time, I was a bit late, arriving 3.5 hours after the high tide of 9.25’. The boulders that create the standing waves were fully exposed. This time I was too early. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: I got to the parking lot 1 hour past the astronomical flood of 11.5’. When I got to the play spot, the boulders were still too submerged. Strong current but small waves to play in. Long video below:

Looks like there will be waves this weekend from incoming storms. Fingers crossed.

sing

The streak continues… Cloudy skies, with snow flurries from a passing ocean storm. 3’ plus swells with 11 second periods, lightly brushed with a diagonal offshore wind. Beautiful day.

I wanted a change of pace and went with the waveski instead of the Sterling longboat. I was reminded again how much easier it is to go surf paddling with a waveski than a longboat. Less gear and faster load time. Just throw in all into the hatchback!

More ocean storms this week.

Mahalo!

sing

Wow, that wave ski looks fun. Wish I had one! Cheers.

2 Likes

That acid dropping dude hit it spot on with that quote! Thanks.

sing

He did have some profound insights now and then.:exploding_head:

Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family.

Be a practical dreamer backed by action.

To change with change is the changeless state.

Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful. Reject what is useless. Add what is essentially your own.

Walk on!

~Bruce Lee’s take on the “Tao…”

sing

1 Like

The one thing I have trouble understanding is how the wave “period” affects things. Could someone explain?

Generally, the longer the wave period, the more power in these waves, or swells, as these are being generated by bigger and more powerful systems that have imparted energy deep into the water. Shorter periods means the waves are more likely being generated by closeby wind conditions. Direction and speed of localized wind can heighten or dampen/ruin underlying swells.

sing

The Tao is very hard to adhere to.

And I think if Bruce Lee followed it strictly, we’d have never heard of him or seen his gifts.

https://images.app.goo.gl/R7UVB34yjWuJFQZv7

Of course, whether it was Lao Tzu or others who came up with it, they never figured on a Tsunami.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::ocean:

Thanks! That was super helpful.