Kokatat Cag material question??

I see it made in tropos 2.5 for 229 then looked for Gortex 365. Could not find Gortex on there site got to it through a search. This k it’s better in Gortex for the money? Better warranty I guess. I have some tropos pants that are ok. Thanks.

Not sure they make Gortex Cag any more?

Says out of stock probably don’t make Gortex anymore because of piece.

I was looking at sites selling the cags this week – some of the spec descriptions state that the newer version of the Hydrus 2.5 fabric they are using now is an improvement over the Tropos material the cag was made of in previous years (more breathable and more durable). Maybe that’s why they may have dropped the more costly Gore-tex version?

Kokatat discontinued the Gore-Tex version in 2016, according to the NSPN board.

Ok thanks. I guess many were no buying at 365

Makes my decision easy now. NA

Only Special Order. 6 week lead time.

I stock the Tropos version as it’s often a Add Over Existing Garb piece. The price difference is significant to boot.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Thanks Marshall. I see guy selling one here in classified section 95 bucks. Two years old tropos. I may try that. Edith can use it if I get Gortex later

I’ve had one for several years… carry it for emergency’s . No need to spend for a Gortex one. Mine mostly rides in my knee tube. If I were to wear it for daily paddling, I would go Gortex. The places that I would need an over-all cover would be for others that came less prepared and not dressed for conditions more so than for myself to wear.

I should say , I do wear it on the beach sometimes…as a wind break during a lunch or snack time…no exertion…no real need for Gortex and better breath-ability.

Thanks for this thread. I went looking for it yesterday and noted that I could not find the Goretex version listed, I would agree that the Tropos material has gotten pretty good. But still glad to have the Goretex one in the basement.

I have a Topos Cag. It is a fixture in my day hatch. I have had it about 5 years. I have only needed it twice, for its intended purpose. I have used it for a changing robe, at many a public access. Great for changing, when you do not want to scare, the women and children,

@Medawgone said:
I have a Topos Cag. It is a fixture in my day hatch. I have had it about 5 years. I have only needed it twice, for its intended purpose. I have used it for a changing robe, at many a public access. Great for changing, when you do not want to scare, the women and children,

Hmm. So it’s a multi-tasker. I like that. I’m 5’5". Would it hang down below my knees?

One I looked at used probably sold second in line if guy backs out.

I bought the Tropos one when there was still a choice to be had. I have sometimes felt that in high winds that GoreTex on my drysuit lets the wind through the fabric; not sure if this is true or not. Regardless, I thought that if the purpose of the cag is to rapidly warm you up then I would do better with a LESS breathable material. So far I am happy with the cag as it does just that; it blocks all wind out like a small tent and warms you up fairly quickly.

Over the PFD you have a nice space with no wind. I need one soon.

Rookie,

Yup. Want one?

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

I ordered a Tropos storm cag a few days. Then I read this thread and now I am really confused.

The old Tropos and Gore Tex storm cags have been replaced with Hydrus, right? I only see the Hydrus listed at Kokatat’s web site.

Was the also Tropos discontinued in 2016? (Rookie mentioned that the Gore-Tex was discontinued at that time.)

The reason I am asking is that when I search for the Hydrus model, it is very hard to find. I did find one US site, but no UK or DK. But I find plenty of shops listing the Tropos version.

Maybe they didn’t bother changing their ad?

Updated for 2018 the Storm Cag is now constructed with Kokatat’s Hydrus 2.5 material, making the garment much more breathable