Kokatat Cag material question??

@Marshall,

Yup, but in a month or so as I’m not up to changing my clothes outdoors right now.

Also need a larger pair of Astral Brewess but you’re sold out in a preferred color. New stuff coming in?

How does something have 2.5 layers?

@PaddleDog52 said:
How does something have 2.5 layers?

"2.5 Layer​​​​​
When a jacket is 2.5 layer, it means that the face fabric and waterproof-breathable membrane stay the same as in the two layer jacket. However, the protective fabric is eliminated in exchange for a printed or sprayed-on partially protective layer.

"This sprayed on layer provides the DWR capability to enable the water to bead on your jacket and roll off.

“A 2.5 layer jacket should be quite flexible and comfortable to wear. This option is probably the standard make-up of most average rain jackets.”

Per https://coolhikinggear.com/

@“Allan Olesen”
Rapid Media reports that Kokatat’s Hydrus 2.5 material is a 2018 introduction, so no, the Tropos model wasn’t discontinued in 2016. It’s what’s being sold by most places here in the U.S.

Thanks

@Rookie said:

@“Allan Olesen”
Rapid Media reports that Kokatat’s Hydrus 2.5 material is a 2018 introduction
Thank you. That explains it.

I’ve wondered if a sil-nylon version would be effective. Non-breathable, but would pack down to the size of a soda can, and could add a big front zipper to add some ventilation. I have used mine less than a handful of times in the last 10 or so years, although it does work well for preventing stuff from rattling around in hatches. But a nice $60ish sil-nylon version would be a good alternative. My $.02

Email I received from Steven @ kokatat told me Gortex no longer available. Possibility as Marshall said above custom order available.

When I ask which PFD’s we’re made in USA they said none.
Special order rescue vests we’re. I then ask if any PFD listed on there site could be made in the USA they said no. So no clue what it all mean. I guess if you a big time expedition kayaker you could get it built your way not sure.

I like Gortex but I guess for occasionally used item hydrus is good enough.

@JohnnySmoke
Sea Kayaking Essentials, or a very similar name to that made the first of these over the cockpit cags I had ever seen some years ago, maybe 2007. It was when I was still chasing the BCU silliness, some of the coaches had one. This outfit also made a really cool emergency shelter that could hold up to I think 6 people and shrink down into a small bag. Both were silcloth. I grabbed the three maybe four really chummy or smaller people size when they came out with it a bit later.

But, as I said above, what several people I knew reported after having them was that their lack of breathability made them less flexible. A typical use was to pull them on at a lunch break, and keep them on as you started paddling again because you were starting out still a little chilly over the water. The official theory was that the paddler could drop the hood and open up neck, that kind of thing, and keep them on for a while paddling.

But it did not work out that way. Every time we were out with someone who had one of these, it was no more than five minutes out paddling that we had to hold up for them to completely remove them and stuff into the day hatch because they were overheating. It was not a problem for a casual paddle for my husband and I to wait, but the folks who had those cags eventually found it was more convenient not to use them in the first place unless it was really cold.

When a bunch of us locally got the Kokatat versions in a breathable material, none of this was an issue. We could paddle away with them still on and go for a while without overheating just by opening up the collar and dropping down the hood.

If you want one cheap here’s a super deal. http://m.sears.com/kokatat-tropos-light-storm-cag-paddling-jacket-spray/p-SPM14379449432

Sears? Kayaking? Really?

See you on the water,
Marshall
The Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-228-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

@PaddleDog52 said:
If you want one cheap here’s a super deal. http://m.sears.com/kokatat-tropos-light-storm-cag-paddling-jacket-spray/p-SPM14379449432

Cheap? That’s twice the price at $550.

Yea I know but when you look for things on the net Sears pops up a lot. The prices are usually double what everyone else is selling stuff for if not triple. Now I sit and wonder if they ever sell anything. It is endless what they have listed. No clue how many people they have listing items. Stuff they would never be in there store. Trying to be like Amazon at double the price doesn’t really work. Now imagine if you did buy something off Sears to later find it’s have the price EVERYWHERE else. Would you go to their retail store or ever buy anything off them again. No wonder the fork is already stuck in them.

While that link is to Sears, it’s actually from some online marketer named Operose who is listed on the Sears “marketplace.” Operose is the ripoff artist.

K-Mart has it listed, too: www.kmart.com/kokatat-tropos-light-storm-cag-paddling-jacket-spray/p-SPM14379449432 No price came up on their site.

Couldn’t find it at Walmart, but they do list Kokatat products - supplied by Outdoor Play, which apparently worked out some deal with them.

I’ll stick with Marshall and The River Connection.

Yes! Saw wheelbarrow on Sears 3x Home Depot.

I get stuff from River connection in one day if I call before 10 am

Kmart and Sears are the same (failing) company. Have been for over a decade. Amazed they still have any presence in the economy at all anymore. All their brick and mortar stores in our major metro area have closed within the past few years.

Kind of sad – when I was a kid the Sears catalog was the “dream book” where we drooled over the toys we wanted to ask for at Christmas (we didn’t have a TV until I was in third grade.)

@willowleaf said:
Kmart and Sears are the same (failing) company. Have been for over a decade. Amazed they still have any presence in the economy at all anymore. All their brick and mortar stores in our major metro area have closed within the past few years.

Sears has independent stores in some locations. There’s a thriving one about 30 miles away; it carries all the top brands and has some excellent sales. We’re fortunate to have it in the area.

I recall there was a Sears still thriving fairly well and decently stocked as recently as 4 yeas ago in the rural mountain upstate community where my ex-boyfriend lived, I think that may be the sorts of communities where they still have a shot at survival if well managed and without a lot of other competition.

Since the big box building material chains took over appliance and tool sales and the “off price” stores and on-line vendors grabbed so much of the soft goods and homeware market, there is not a lot of customer base left for Sears in most metro areas. Kmart lost ground to Walmart on pricing and Target on quality and “hipness”. I had given up on Sears years ago due to the shabbiness of the stores, poor stock and negligent staff. I did patronize the nearby Kmart for much longer, but it too was depressingly grubby, understocked and understaffed.

Both Kmart and Sears also abandoned the inner city, at least around here – Target stepped up and placed a store with a full grocery department in one of our lower income communities and it’s thriving. What was once the Sears in that same neighborhood, only blocks away, is now a booming Home Depot.

Sears used to be the biggest.since they moved their wrenches and other hand tools to china I don’t bother going. They own much of the real estate they sit on. That’s the only thing that keeps them afloat as they sell it off. Used to look at All the toys in the catalog in the 50’s & 60’s. Then as I grew the tool section. Sad!