Kokatat Cag material question??

Johnnysmoke and Celia,

I saw an ultralight, ultracompactible cag made of ripstop nylon or possibly silnylon, about 6 or 7 years ago. Found out it was no longer being sold. But I was able to snag a used-one-time Valley cag for only $100. It is neither ultralight or ultracompactible, but it feels very durable and has lots of features: fleece-lined kangaroo pocket with an additional inner entrance so that the wearer can easily get hands inside (grab something in a PFD pocket, perhaps), full brimmed hood, retroreflective strips, and more. Since it is one-size-fits-all, it is HUGE on me, hanging well below the knees.

I have worn it only a couple of times while paddling, since normally my other clothes suffice. But where it really shines is on land. The thing is so big I can sit on the ground, tuck my legs with knees up, and the cag surrounds me—windproof, waterproof shelter. It could probably serve as an emergency bivouac bag.

I do not know what company actually made the cag, only that VALLEY is emblazoned on it.

BTW, the skirt part on mine is too big to fit snugly over my coaming. It must be used with a regular sprayskirt to prevent flooding the cockpit in a capsize. It is not the same as a tuiliq.

@pikabike said:

I do not know what company actually made the cag, only that VALLEY is emblazoned on it.

Found this old thread and apparently Valley made it. https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/847377/cag-comparisons

Sears and Roebuck was the internet of their time. Pioneers out west could mail order from the catalog and it would come to their door step. In fact you used to be able to order the door step. At one time they would ship via rail a whole house. Sq Footages were less than what we think is good today.

About all I’d buy at Sears was Craftsman tools. Now I can get them at ACE in my neighborhood without going to the mall.

Report this week on how Sears is being destroyed from the inside by an arrogant and incompetent CEO (who, like the present POTUS, has been known to use a faked name to promote his own product.) It is expected to file for bankruptcy within the next two years. The Craftsman brand is already in the process of being sold to Black & Decker : http://www.businessinsider.com/sears-failing-stores-closing-edward-lampert-bankruptcy-chances-2017-1

Incompetent? How’s the market doing?

@pikabike
Those Valley cags were great, as you found made only for a limited time period. The Kokatat version might be slightly better at holding over the skirt on a cockpit coaming, with how the adjustable bungie cord is set. But I would never consider one of the these to be a substitute for a regular skirt either. In this respect the cags are different from a proper tuliq, which is supposed to be both.

The value of having a big jacket to create an air pocket over a smaller person cannot be overstated, especially at break. That was a great find for you.

PD52 – read my post more carefully. Your comment is off base (and irrelevant). The Sears CEO is indeed incompetent as a business manager. Their share price, which was reliably around $35 has crashed in the last 30 months to barely $3 and the business will be toast soon. That’s how “the market” is doing in this case. He will “profit” through ruining the business, but the thousands of employees and shareholders will lose. This is how plutocrats game the system.

I liked Lands End clothes until Sears bought them. I looked at the LE catalog last week and it looks like they are dumping everything.

@string said:
I liked Lands End clothes until Sears bought them. I looked at the LE catalog last week and it looks like they are dumping everything.

Sears spun off Lands End as a separate IPO in 2014. Lands End has a new CEO who is trying to pick up the pieces, so maybe that’s why their catalog is in a state of flux.

Ordered my Cag today from Marshall @ riverconnection.com Going to be a long winter so I hope to get a bit more warmth with Cag by stopping evaporation directly from my drysuit and also trapping some air. Good for other seasons too for those just in case moments. Think I’ll get my honey one to when she starts paddling again when warmer.

Oh well have to wait three weeks for hydrus 2.5.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Oh well have to wait three weeks for hydrus 2.5.

Good to know. Will let me time my own purchase a bit better. Thanks.

Hopefully it comes sooner. Kokatat seems to estimate on the long side timewise in my experience.

"2.5 Layer​​​​​
When a jacket is 2.5 layer, it means that the face fabric and waterproof-breathable membrane stay the same as in the two layer jacket. However, the protective fabric is eliminated in exchange for a printed or sprayed-on partially protective layer.

“This sprayed on layer provides the DWR capability to enable the water to bead on your jacket and roll off.”

The last statement is incorrect. This “.5” layer is typically a pattern of dots on the inside of the fabric. It replaces the inside liner fabric, as stated in the first paragraph above. The DWR is applied to the outside of the fabric and is not considered a “layer”.

Looks like I am going to order also from Marshall. Guess it won’t be out of stuck again.

Kokatat has them listed now as available. I’ll see what Marshall says I sent an email today.

He said ship in a week yesterday.

Well kokatat keeps back ordering it further and further. So I got a refund from Marshall. Thank you. May be in the future. I have two kokatat paclite gortex zipper hooded jackets for now. I’m sure I’ll find something else to buy now anyway.

Still BO 15 business days LOL