Long whitewater boats for rock gardens a

Old RM Mystic…
14’x22.5". Plenty of rocker for manueverability and surf capability. Crappy hatch covers though, thus requiring (custom made) float bags inside hatches for serious play. The Pyrhanna Pilot is the same boat, except it sports a rudder instead of the drop down skeg. The seat is (? was) slotted for four trim positions. In the correct trim, it should reduce the need for either a rudder or skeg.

sing

“Alchemy”
Didn’t recognize the name so I checked with Google and another name came up also-- “Axiom”-- the web site had a profile picture of the “new” design. Funny, but for some reason it looks familiar :slight_smile:

Bob

link
http://paddlesport.wordpress.com/2008/08/20/i-heard-something-about-new-dagger-models/

Surf boats
are usually designed with sharp edge and fins. The Green Boat and Remix (I have both) are about soft chines and significant rocker. You’re usually better off applying a boat designed for the intended usage. There are good reasons why you don’t see many cross-applications.

I know what surf boats are.

– Last Updated: Sep-06-08 8:31 AM EST –

Have tried a few. And I still say, why not.
As I understand it, the O.P. was about mainly using
either boat in and around shoreline rock gardens.
Usually surf also comes into play
at such locales. But of course,
you know that!

About 13 years ago I took

– Last Updated: Sep-06-08 1:00 PM EST –

a Necky Groovy surf boat on a trip around Brooks Peninsula. 10ft. with fins and i kept up with the long boats but had WAY more fun in the rough. Forever changed my thinking about such things.

Had a cast on my forearm at the time so thought the smaller boat easier to handle with a big cast. It was, and super fun all round.

I think if manufacturers can break away from the conservative sea touring paradigms and apply some WW and surf concepts to ocean play boats we may get some more younger athletes interested. God knows there's enough touring boats to keep most happy out there!

Exactly. FUN and joy in discovery is
what it’s suppose to be all about.

–Not just keeping boats locked up

in orthodox categories.

I agree
100%

I have to admit…
That Alchemy looks like a pisser, too!

Very cool!
Are these available in the US?

how about this boat?
http://www.venturekayaks.com/page1.php?Page=68

i’ve been eyeing up this yak for abusive rock gardening. it is made much like the regular P&H plastic boats, welded bulkheads and the like. i’m going to demo one next week on flat water, just for fun.

The bottom is flat by the cockpit
but a shallow V at the ends. In a rock garden, it’s fairly easy to control direction, same thing while surfing. However, when you try to paddle for a distance, it really wants to turn on every gust of wind or swell.

It’s much easier to launch right where you’re going to use it, or tow it with a long boat and then land and switch.

For longer paddles to play in the rocks and surf, I bought a Capella RM so I wouldn’t keep banging up my Foster Shadow.

Exactly

– Last Updated: Sep-07-08 8:35 AM EST –

Using a surf boat in the surf was fun for you because that's what it was designed for and that's how it was equipped (fins). And it was better than the boats you paddled with configured for a different primary usage. You could try paddling whitewater with a Greenland paddle or run the Snake in a sea kayak. Or, you could use pliers to drive a nail, instead of a screwdriver, just to show you could break a paradigm, if that takes precedent over having the gear designed to deliver the best performance in a specific situation.

Back to the original poster's question, I've taken ww boats out into the surf when enroute to ww destinations. The two you mentioned will be most challenged getting away from the beach in your West Coat surf, with the Green Boat probably being the better choice. You're going to have to time your lunges well with the waves and adjust direction quickly.

The Green Boat will not lose out much to the Remix in maneuverability among the rocks, since it's well rockered and spins on a dime when leaned. Both have the volume to resurface quickly and resist pearling, but lack the edges to cut across the face of a wave or to maintain direction. I've found that a river/play (like the Jackson Fun) is better for that. And, it's got a pure planing hull, unlike the two you mention. If you're looking for a compromise boat, I'd go that way instead of a creeker or creeker-like.

But, if you're primarily running big ww, with just an occasional jaunt to the ocean, go with the Green Boat. Hard to beat it for fun on the river.

fins for surfing performance?
if i installed a fin kit in my Jackson SF would that make it a significantly better surf boat, or am i just kidding myself?

Better Sell The Boat…
and get $$$ to buy a used surf kayak. Can find them in the $500 - $800 range. Your Jackson can probably be sold close to that. You cut into it, resale value goes way down and performance won’t increase much with fins on that boat. Not edgey nor long enough for fins to make a difference.

sing

Thanks
Thanks for your comments.

sell it!!? hell no!
hey it’s the bomb on the river, which is where i play more often than not, i’d just like to tinker with the surf dimension. mostly, i’d really like to even try a surf boat. there is a kayak surf event up Island later in the month and Valley will have a full compliment there for demo, so it could be my chance if i get up there.

IF you got the dough…
The Valley Storm is a really good surf boat. It’s made of plastic but it rips.

The Valley Rush is an excellent HP boat. The Sneaker is more forgiving and probably a better boat for people who don’t surf a lot.

the rockhopper et al
hey…heard my name in here…

first there is a thread VERY like this thread going on over here: http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2294 ->debating short boats that can do it all…

have you looked into a Coaster? it appears that there is one for sale in Seattle…hmm…wish i lived out there!!!

I have been exactly in yours place for sometime…i first read about the rockhopper a while back…and waited to see one…then last year finally bit the bullet and ordered one…shipped to the East Coast…it was a long 4 weeks while my boat was on a boat…and sitting in customs in NY…but worth it…

not only does the RH handle surf well i can also PUT ANYONE into it…and have no fear of them flipping…i am not certain but i think that i could stand in it easily…so stable…even with its weird hull design…

i also like using the boat in small estuaries/sloughs because it can easily turn within its own radius with one sweep…

it is a great boat…it is a great addition to my stable of boats…it can go anywhere…if i were a river paddler i would not hesitate to take it into class 2 water…if not higher (but there is that non-river paddler part)…

i started surfing about 8 years ago in boats…

i have owned a HO carbon Mega surf boat…but sold it to purchase the rh…and am very glad for that…and had a handful of plastic ww boats as well…for me i learned that i like longer boat…more soul surfing…no tricks…not my style…

now flatpick and i have been exchanging emails concerning a new boat that i am interested in as well…he has confirmed my thoughts of its surf-ability…

the Dagger Axiom 9.0/9.5 is the next boat i hope to add to the stable…planing hull…hard chine…great length…that is what i am looking for in a boat to surf in…

feel free to drop a line for more info etc…including about 200 pix of the rockhopper in detail…as well as mods i made to it…

rob

There is not enough space to float me
and a cockpit full of water in a large Pyranha Burn. The rim is below the surface. Forget about a playboat.

Dogmaticus