Looking into a new paddle

Just wondering what length you paddle the tybee Chet says I’m 215 but the many’s ray says 220 just curious

I am a smaller paddler and I have the 2 piece posi-lock 210 cm paddle, but it comes in varying sizes and also I think a four piece posi-lock model.

I’ve been saying for quite some time that the best paddle for the money is the Carlisle Expedition and I haven’t changed my mind. These are all fiberglass life time paddles at about two thirds the price of a glass Werner. It might take some shopping around to find the right size. The Expedition is pretty close to a match for the Werner Shuna. Walmart shows them at $179. If you can’t find a Carlisle Expedition, save up a little longer and get a Werner Shuna, or Camano.

Whoops, I just saw you said high-angle, sorry. But this is inspiration.

I had the AB Carbon Stingray as my first good paddle… had it for two years. I found a smokin deal in a used Werner Kalliste, and now I’ve sold the AB for a Werner Shuna (mentioned above). Now I’ve got two amazing paddles for river, rougher water and for cover km’s.

A carbon Sting Ray was my first paddle. I haven’t used it since I splurged on a super light Werner Cyprus about 8 years ago :wink:

I do use a cedar Greenland paddle with increasing frequency though.

My paddle arrived today. The doorbell rang (and you know doorbells don’t ring lately unless it’s a delivery), my wife picked up the box and said “It’s so light, you sure there’s anything inside?”

Me = :grin:

Yes, it’s just a starter paddle and to someday become a spare, but at least now I can get out there.

2 Likes

Which one did you go with the symbiosa?

Yes, the new Symbiosa model with fiberglass shaft and oval indexed section to help optimize paddle grip. The older model was aluminium. Also supporting a local manufacturer.

I think you will soon find that the oval part of the shaft is to let you know by feel the angle of the blade without looking at it while you’re paddling. Whether, or not it does anything to “optimize the grip” might be a matter of personal judgement.

I just got that one today. To go with my new kayak.

1 Like

I went for the Werner Cyprus. This is top of the range high angle. I think it is worth paying the extra for this if you want to do long paddles. I spent quite a bit of time analysing what I needed and what was available. I tried a few other paddles.

The Cyprus has a mid sized blade to reduce fatigue, which matters as you get older. I deliberately downsized a year or so ago and it did take a few months to increase my rep rate to get to my former speed, but worth it. I still miss the big blade for that sudden surge of power, but my shoulders are feeling better.

It is really light. I had a light one before and could never go back. I hold the paddle out and try to have my arms straight at various points in the stroke, so weight really does matter. I looked at the weight of lots of split paddles, the joining mechanism on some splits is really heavy. I might have made a different decision if I have not wanted splits.

I also looked at wings again. I can just about use them after several months of trying, but I never really trusted myself on support strokes and the speed advantage was not worth it for me.

The Cyprus is really tough. I use it for sea kayaking trips and for weekly training on the river where it takes a pounding, without problem. Werner recommend different paddles is they are likley to be abused, but they are heavier.

My sea kayak cost twice as much as this paddle and my training racer cost 1/6 of this paddle. Both second hand and do the job. I put my money in the paddle and it was worth it.

Aquabound vs Werner Aquabound, hands down. I am only familiar with the Manta Ray, but my experience with Werner ‘Customer Service’ when a Werner paddle broke in my hands was awful. At Werner ‘Customer Service’ actually reads as ‘Company Service’. A complete lack of support for an expedition suddenly left with no paddle mid way. I offered to pay for a paddle and shipping, but they wanted to ship the paddle only to my registered address 2,500 miles away. Warranty? You ship the paddle to them and then they decide whether it meets their standards , all at your expense , and on the river, good luck with that. I emailed them from a rare contact point and they answered with bureaucratic nonsense.

I loved that Werner paddle. It was magnificent. And I will never buy another Werner product as long as I live.

2 Likes

I have the AB manta CF and love it. It was my first paddle and is still my go-to. Super lightweight and sturdy. The only thing I do not like about it is the cf kinda chews at the hands a little… but it’s not as bad as it sounds. I have a bad right shoulder (bone spur) and it has been a very good paddle for me. Highly recommend it… it’s a lot to invest up front, but you won’t regret it. Otherwise you’ll spend more $$ in the long run buying cheaper and then replacing later. The only benefit of that approach is that you can then have a backup paddle to keep on board for times when paddling in rougher water. Of course, paddle leashes can help there, too.

Mike

Or you can make one out of wood. My carpenter friend used to glue up some blanks from mahogany, walnut, white ash. Every time I pick up a paddle I made 30 years ago the world is a better place to be.

2 Likes

My first paddle was an Aquabound CF Stingray and you’re correct the shaft did irritate my hands a little.

I still have it as a backup but about 6 years ago I bought a Werner Cyprus and I haven’t used the Stingray since. My wife uses a Cyprus too and the only time I’ve needed Werner’s customer service it wasn’t a bad experience at all.

1 Like

I have a Werner Cyprus 210cm for sale. It is in good condition. Just sitting in my cellar. If interested contact me. We can discuss the paddle and price. I live in the Adirondacks too

1 Like

Don’t know if you got my last message kinda new to the platform lol but what can you tell me about the Cyprus I see you have a 110 and. Werners chart says I’m a 115

Lol dang fingers 210 and I’m a 215 lol

My Werner Cyprus is straight shaft/standard. It is a 210cm. I do not use it because currently I actually went with and paddle with a 205cm Cyprus. The paddle is in good condition. I would want at least $265 for the paddle. It is just sitting in my cellar although I used it 2 X’s last season. Let me know if interested.