Looking into a new paddle

I started with a Werner Ikelos and Cyprus at 215cm. Sold those two paddles and went with 210cm. Sold the Ikelos last season and still have the Cyp. 210cm. I purchased a 205cm in 2019 and have been using that paddle exclusively.

• Materials: While both have fiberglass-reinforced blades, the Tybee’s shaft is a blend of CF and fiberglass while the Mantay Ray’s shaft is full carbon

• Weight: Manta Ray is lighter at 1.8 lbs. vs. 2.2 for the Tybee

• Cost: Tybee is $15 cheaper at $135 compared to $149 for the Manta Ray

• Sizing: The Tybee is available in a small shaft and in 5 cm. length increments compared to the MF, which only comes in 10 cm. increments

Jury says: You didn’t mention your boat’s width or your height, so it’s hard to know whether you fit neatly within the standard sizes. If you do, I’d go with the Manta Ray since it’s lighter. If you need more specialized sizing and/or have small-ish hands, I’d pick the Tybee.

Various charts are only suggestions. The proper length depends on both you and the boat. You can only be sure by trying it out. First of all you need to use the paddle as it was designed, either high or low angle. The proper length would be that with a properly performed forward stroke, for the majority of the stroke the entire blade is fully in the water, no more and no less. Additionally. you should not be hitting the side of the boat.

That’s for optimal efficiency. That being said, 5cm one way or the other is not a deal breaker if buying used at a good price.

1 Like

Update to all I decided to go with the Werner tybee in 215….been real busy lately and haven’t been able to get out yet to try it though……thank you all for your input

1 Like

I looked into my 2 piece paddles. Nothin in there that I could see.