Lost a good paddling partner

Sad day, and a touching post. Dogs are special friends and companions. I second what Teddy has said; God has a plan for our beloved pets. Even Randy Alcorn says so.

That said, I’ve always felt that at a time like this it’s good to get another pup asap. It helps greatly.

Chris Stapleton has a good song for anyone who has lost their best fur buddy, ‘Maggie’s Song’.

We’ll be getting a new (maybe used) dog before long.

One of our neighbors has a new 4 month old StBernard/Poodle mix of some sort. I’ve never been so happy to have my arms shredded by a puppy’s nails and puppy teeth.

6 Likes

A Berniepoo!

I think you’d like this song by Jerry VanDiver.

They’re good companions. They’re fun while they are here. But did they ever paddle? I can’t get ours to do their share of paddling.

Sorry to hear. Take care

Tom, for where you go and what you do a Std Poodle , or a Std X, can’t be beat.
Intelligent, athletic, loving dogs. We’ve had 2 and if I were physically capable of giving one the exercise they need we’d have another now.

So sorry for your loss.

My friend and earliest kayaking mentor, Dennis, lost his beloved Aussie, Tomo, two years ago at the advanced age of 15. I had met Tomo when he was still a yearling pup and he was just a delightful dog. Tomo joined Dennis on countless road trips, kayaking and cross country ski touring around Ontario and the Canadian Maritimes for many years. Eventually Dennis switched to solo canoe and reverse ski-joring (towing the aging Tomo in a sled) so that his pup could continue to join him as the dog became less agile. The final loss was painful but I and others encouraged him to invite another 4-legged soul into his life. That’s always a challenge when you get to our age (70’s), but he did make that decision last year and adopted another Aussie pup. Copper not only seems to be a wonderful dog but appears to have been a Fountain of Youth for Dennis in the videos he has shared of their training exercises and outings (Copper loves the water and plunges right in). Though some videos indicate that Dennis’ yoga practice has become problematic with boundlessly energetic Copper insisting on being involved with “Dad” on the floor.

It’s a sad fact of life that we outlive our pets (unless we favor parrots or turtles) but at least we can take comfort in knowing we gave them the longest and best lives that their species’ natural cycle could allow. I have noticed among my own family and close friends a distinct decline in their happiness and quality of life when they have decided to not adopt another pet after losing one, often citing the grief of loss as an excuse. I am neither a religious nor superstitious person, but I can’t help but feel that somehow the spirit of a dearly departed pet has often “steered” another one to me, even when I was not actively seeking one. It’s almost as if the animal world knows when there is a spot open that would love a 4-legged companion.

2 Likes

I’m still at the stage after losing Lilly that I’m remembering the work and commitment that a new dog takes and I’m just not sure I’m up for it. That and a couple of pending heart surgeries, both allegedly minor.
But, so far I’ve not allowed myself to go visit the Poodle Rescue, the SPCA, or a pet store. I’m afraid I’ll be chosen by a pup and there is no escaping at that point.

2 Likes

I always thought it was the dryer that ate socks and made pairs into singles. Once we got the new puppy it was apparent that it was the dog and not the machine. The puppy makes you become more familiar with your house and yard. I’ve searched both many times for the missing shoe to go with the solo shoe under the bed. They are often in the yard. Don’t know how that happens.

3 Likes

Our own aging is a good argument for adopting a matured pet. For one thing, well trained adult dogs with good habits are plentiful and there are many needing homes. All puppies (and kittens) are adorable, but there is NO way to determine what their adult personality and quirks might be. The young-uns also require quite a bit more time, energy to handle and train and cause more disruption in the home. And when our own potential lifeline is in question, bringing in an animal who may significantly outlive us only complicates our lives and theirs. I have not adopted a pet under 18 months old in 40 years and have had a wonderful string of them, even when the tenure of some of the elder ones with me was briefer than I could have wished.

3 Likes

Good sign you’re thinking of it. You’ll know when it’s the right time. Good luck and God bless on your upcoming procedures. You have a lot to look forward to.

1 Like

I have also had good number if rescues, pups and older. Both are great. Some 8+ don’t really know guess age with the vet. I think I’d rob a bank for ten mil but dogs aren’t allow in jail if I got caught.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. We lost our 17 yo Corgi last Tuesday.

She had the Star on India on her forehead,
And she must have been part wolverine,
She was the fiercest little dog,
I have ever seen.

Queen Victoria RIP.

1 Like

My Condolences ppine. Sounds like the Queen was very special.

Well, she added about 20% to our momentum/glide (sorry, engineer) plus a whole lot of enthusiasm. Pretty sure the answer to “wanna go paddlin?!” was yes every time.

The local farmer and his wife just adopted a used dog. They are in their 80’s and they think the dog is around 7. It’s a little dog that looks worried and sits in her new owners lap. They take it for rides down the to the river in their Gator like their last dog. Lucky dog.

A standard poodle sounds like a great recommendation string. I was wondering about a Vizsla. We might just grab a rescue. I’m attracted to labs and just live them but on the other hand Zoey had such an amazingly different personality and habits and that was a treat. She had so many gaits for running in the woods that I’d never seen before.

I’m very sorry to hear of your loss ppine

Tom, we have a poodle rescue here that has many Std Poodles. Some were taken from puppy Mills and others were just too much dog for the owner.
I encourage you to go meet one. Did I mention that they are water dogs? They don’t shed and dirt doesn’t seem to stick to them after they dry out.
When you meet one for the first time, they are a bit stand offish until they figure out what you are.

1 Like