Lost another paddler today in New Orleans area

So true. Most of my foolish mistakes were made in in my youth in slow cars driven way too fast. Learned the lessons without paying too steep a price. I’ve stayed away from anything with two wheels and a motor as a result.

Now I’m pretty much staying away from anything with two wheels on asphalt, due to concerns regarding distracted drivers (doing more gravel riding and trail running).

1 Like

The lengths that people go to for rationalizing not wearing a personal flotation device , continue to increase to absurd levels. It’s hot, it’s humid, we get it. Stay wet if you have to, find a comfortable PFD and wear it or don’t go out there.

2 Likes

It’s going to get a lot worse in the next couple of months when the water starts to get cold but some days are still warm and beautiful. This year may be especially bad with all of the first timers out in their big box store rec boats.

There are a couple of new Facebook rec boat groups around here in the Chesapeake Bay area. Truly horrifying. No PFDs, cotton shorts and t-shirts paddling out into big open water without a clue judging from some of the posts. Drinking on the water and having bars as their destination for a break. One group has compiled a list of waterfront bars and is organizing aquatic pub crawls.

Maybe I’m just getting too old.

As the weather cools, the Chesapeake Bay is known for some of the coldest water in the lower 48 in winter. It is the largest estuary in the US and the third largest in the world at 4,480 sq. mi, but averages only 21’ deep so it warms and cools very rapidly. Days in the 80s and water temperatures in the upper 40s are not that uncommon. Sudden storms have sunk ocean going ships. Every year there are a number of deaths’ and USCG rescues.

2 Likes

53 deaths in Lake Michigan in 2020, a new record and three months left.

2 Likes

Lost one in a local flat, absolutely no problem small lake/large pond around here a couple of days ago. 45 or 50 yr old woman, somehow capsized a rec boat and went under very quickly. A boat saw it but did not get to her fast enough. Clearly a gap in flotation and/or ability to swim.

I opted not to put it here because the water is getting colder, as mentioned above a bunch of people went out and got rec boats this year because of having to recreate outside. There will be more…

1 Like

thanks for your post TomL. L Michigan is not for messing around. I am shocked by the amount of people that pay no attention to cold water safety. The newbie kayakers are a very scary group.

Not always paddlers. Latest fatality was a 12-year old boy from Tennessee who was swept off the Frankfort Pier. His aunt and two other children were also swept off, but managed to survive.

Not always paddlers, pier walkers, or boaters…

they’ve been singing about Turn Around Don’t Drown since 2012.

1 Like

Add to the number of poorly equipped and ill-prepared new paddlers the fact that strained state budgets this year have meant that few of the outfitters (who do provide basic safety gear and some oversight) have been open. And I have not seen a DNR Fish and Game ranger anywhere all Summer – many of the county and state park offices and marinas were closed anyway. Normally I expect to see one or more of the “Fish Police” at the busier boat ramps, checking launch permits and that you have the mandated safety gear at least (PFD, whistle, light). Little evident oversight of any kind at any of the popular water rec locations this year.

Tampa Florida and where paddling when the feels like temperatures 106 and we all wear our pfds. Trips are usually six to eight miles. Everyone is over 65 and retired. So I’m thinking it all depends on the person’s level of health and fitness.

And maybe by 65 it has occurred to you that you are not immortal.

2 Likes

I always wear my PFD. I even wear it until I pull kayaks on floating dock and up on bulkhead. Many people die from slipping off a dock hitting there head. Especially when I go out in the winter.

3 Likes

I’ve never understood why some paddle w/o a PFD, except for the “they don’t know what they don’t know” adage.

I wear mine even during pool practice. What’s the sense of practicing something without the gear you’d normally wear?

1 Like

Sometimes Rolling can be just for the enjoyment of being one with the water. The freedom of practice without encumbrance can be the entire reason for doing water things … It all pays off with the familiarity of movement. Not all play has to be center around practice for some other aspect of paddling.

Rolling unencumbered is like doing yoga , and can be the entire purpose. I like to do slow motion fully controlled rolling…no momentum, just kayak control. Many times I use a Tuilik and a inflatable belt PFD. The PFD is only there because of the law …and when I play/practice rolling I do it for the pleasure. {it gives me a huge feeling of freedom to be in and of the water}

When I paddle, I always wear a PFD…it’s pockets hold many things I want to have with me. I totally understand playing and swimming with a kayak without the encumbrances…but don’t understand leaving my pockets behind while paddling.

Yep, not all paddlers, mostly “swimmers” that are quickly overwhelmed or screw up in frequent rip currents. Teenagers on dates and parents trying to rescue kids in trouble. Some cold water victims too and the local news even warns about power boaters jumping in during mid-summer. Temperature inversions can change surface water temps by 15-20 degrees overnight. Fewer beach lifeguards due to budget constraints. 53 is a pretty big number…lots of ways to die unfortunately. Plenty of problems with newbie kayakers in local rivers too.