MICHAEL RODE THE BOATS, AND A LOT MORE, ASHORE...!!!

Well, my brother in law made it through fine in his home near Crestview, FL. Prayers for all the others!

@tjalmy said:
Well, my brother in law made it through fine in his home near Crestview, FL. Prayers for all the others!

West of the eye. Daughter works there. Was a tropical storm winds.

For Mexico beach pictures, ground zero, go to Facebook and search Mexico Beach Artificial Reef Association.

I worry about Port St. Joe. Cape San Blais, and Indian Pass. Haven’t heard a word about them. I have camped at the campground several times at Indian Pass and on St. Vincent Island. Horrible damage at Mexico Beach!

This was the second deteriated eye of a hurricane to pass over us in a month. What are the odds of that. Thankfully the winds maxed out at 45 mph and the this storm was fast moving. We have also been spared the flooding from both Florence and Michael. We feel lucky all things considered.

Indian Pass Raw Bar had six feet of water in it . Lost all the doors and the sign but the structure seems OK… The trouble is Cape San Blas and Indian Pass and Port St Joe are not currently accessible by road. I have annual reservations at TJ Stone… People that evacuated Indian Pass are frantic about their homes as there is no way to return ,

@kayamedic said:
People that evacuated Indian Pass are frantic about their homes as there is no way to return ,

It’s extremely difficult not knowing what damage is waiting …
Truth is there is not much you can do and rushing back without any water, power, AC, internet or cell service is maybe worse. Not much you can salvage that won’t wait a few days and in this case nothing left to loot.
The next year at least is going to be very hard on those people physically and mentally.

If you ever have to evac take a lot of cash, clothes, your good power tools and electronics along with paperwork. Figure nothing will be left when you return.

ANDREW-ESQUE

The aerial flyovers tell a tale of rampant destruction that reminds us Miamians of the wrath of Andrew 26 years ago, where swaths of the county were similarly ripped asunder.

Grayhawk is -unfortunately -absolutely dead-on correct from more recent experience.

The people of the panhandle will have, for a long while, much more, and much more important, things to be concerned with, than to

Paddle on…

Frank in Miami

Beach fronts may be getting less popular.

Nature will repair itself (though I’m not so sure about the ocean and lakes), but I’ve no idea how those affected souls will start to pick up the pieces. I just hope they had insurance coverage for the material losses.

They will be getting more expensive to rebuild to the new codes and to insure but they will be back…

@Rookie said:
Nature will repair itself (though I’m not so sure about the ocean and lakes), but I’ve no idea how those affected souls will start to pick up the pieces. I just hope they had insurance coverage for the material losses.

A “catch 22” is the older structures if insured, and many are not, would be for what it was worth and not for what it costs to rebuild to the new codes.

On the southern coast of South Carolina we were again extremely lucky with Michael.

We had high winds and a couple of tornado warnings around midnight which proved to be false alarms. Our power stayed on just fine. It did take my wife and I a couple of hours to clean up all the tree debris around the house but it was no big deal.

I really feel for the people in the Panhandle coastal communities.

technology helps
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html#15/30.0683/-85.5923

My flashlight addiction has come in handy. Michael knocked my power out way up here in NC. Many trees down. My property did fine.

@Rex said:
My flashlight addiction has come in handy. Michael knocked my power out way up here in NC. Many trees down. My property did fine.

Power’s out often for me - went off the night before because of incoming cold front and high winds. These gizmos are awesome: https://www.walmart.com/ip/LED-Night-Light-ANKO-200-Lumen-COB-Emergency-lights-Switch-Cordless-Portable-Battery-Magnetic-Sticker-Wardrobe-Camping-Kitchen-Garage-Attic-Night-Rea/664063723

In addition to Luci lights, I’ve got about 10 of the LED switch-lights positioned through the house. And lots of batteries. And water.

Thanks! My wife swears that before she dies she’s going to own “a bigass generator”.

@Rex said:
Thanks! My wife swears that before she dies she’s going to own “a bigass generator”.

several years ago we joined the Joneses of the neighborhood and installed a 15 kw propane generator that comes on automatically

Last Oct the power was out for ten days.
it came back on a Sunday night

it was blessedly quiet after the hum for so long

The generator self excercises on Monday. It had the nerve to exercise the next day

Those small LED flashlights really came in handy after Irma I was never without one in my pocket.
A good reminder as I am down to one… Time for an order.

Eagle harbor has a new gulf access cut thru the dunes. You can’t get to the camp ground.

The stump hole has a breach. Some of the rock jetty protecting the road is missing.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0N-u6WV3xyFwzkYSyMG3i6G0cn8CFCtIUsOcEI5gHzZP1V56WETVOkogI#9/30.3302/-86.8936

Indian pass raw bar has come back before.

Indian Pass. Meredith is a Red Cross dropoff point so she is distributing MRE and water and unspecified food

I notice TJ Stone is now on an island. from drone footage. Doesnt seem feasible to put the road back