My 1st sea yak..Fathom vs QCC 700

I have been paddling my Easky 15 in all kinds of water and am very happy with it…love the combination of decent speed, excellent stability, and ability to haul lots of gear. Now having paddled a Fathom recently, wow…very my nice speed and handling. I have seen, but not paddled the QCC 700…just beautiful and have read all the positives. I’m now ready to take my paddling skills to the next level and learn to roll. Although I have taken the Easky in protected ocean bays and out on calm days (wetsuit on) and no spray skirt, I now want to become comfortable and more safe in a sea kayak w/skirt. Opinions please on these two kayaks and how they compare with each other. In addition, I have test paddled a Gulf Stream, Soltice, and 16.5’ Delta (name escapes me). The Fathom felt the best of all (I’m 6-2/212). Is my weight an issue with either kayak, especially when loaded with camping gear for those 3-5 day outings? Thanks for advice.

I can’t compare to the fathom
But I’m 5’9" and 210 sometimes 220 and my QCC fits fine. As for rolling it rolls decently but tends to hit a sluggish spot as the boat gets about vertical. I wasn’t able to get my first off side till I used a friends Tsunami. As for a tripping boat the QCC has so much room it’s easy to take to much gear along.

I’ve never been i water that the boat couldn’t handle but I’ve had my doubts about me a few times.

GoodLuck

Randy

But the Fathom…
But the Fathom looks like a plastic TV dinner tray, with all those identations… Have you seen one in person? :slight_smile:

In my opinion, it looks like a really cheap plastic boat. I just couldn’t get into owning one…

I’m not big of the QCC’s styling, but at least it’s a quality boat… Very well designed, made and supported.

Nighthawk16?
Have you considered a Nighthawk 16 over the Fathom? Or even the Falcon if you want speed. I am not a big fan of Eddylines newer line boats, it’s that hard chine thing, but do like their “classic” designs.

odd comparison
The two boats are not anything alike, odd comparison.

Fathom is 16 1/2’ x 22" and the QCC’s 18’ x 21", not much alike.

Bill H>

price?
Btw, I suspect you’re comparing the boats primarily on price. It’s a poor way to compare boats.

Bill H.

Price

– Last Updated: Aug-16-09 12:19 PM EST –

has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. I don't know the price of the Fathom but the QCC is posted on their site. Both are noted for their performance and lively handling and that's why these two are serious contenders for me. Suggestion on others?

QCC
700 is the boat I would go for, mostly for the speed. Don’t own an eddyline, but the QCC is really great. Seat kinda sucks though.

Easiest way to decide
Go for a couple of rolling lessons now, using whatever they put you in. The water is warm, it’s the best time of the year for it anyway in terms of comfort. THEN go back and sit in boats, when you have a more concrete understanding of how you want a boat to fit and feel for the not-upright type of work.

Yup
headed out the door now for my 4th day in a row paddling. Best time of year for paddling trips(Sept-Nov) here in the West…the State Parks are pretty empty (and will be more so since they substantially just increased fees…clueless state govt.)

Another I want to test is a new Valley that a good friend just got. And I’m keeping a lookout for a QCC…would even like to test their 500 model as it appears to be a serious gear hauler.

Great Discussion! NM

performance and handling
Every kayak maker tells you how great their boat performs and how wonderful the handling is. Tells you nothing.

With the QCC, unless you’re in the midwest or perhaps upper New England areas you’re out of luck for testing the boat unless someone you know has one. The Fathom though should be easy to find to demo it. It’s a nice enough boat, I’ve paddled it. Plan on getting up to northern WI this fall sometime to paddle the QCC, it’s “only” about 250 miles from here.

Bill H.

Don’t know
anything about the the QCC except what I hear and it is usually positive. I am exactly your size and I have paddled the Fathom many times. I am also a guide and have watched many different sized people paddle the Fathom. The Fathom is a relative easy boat to paddle and has no serious bad features. However I personally find the front and rear decks too high at the cockpit. I also do not really like the seat. Keep in mind that I build my own kayaks and I use a custom Redfish Kayak seat which is probably the best kayak seat on the planet. One thing of special note for you is that I do not find the Fathom to be a very fast boat. It has respectable speed but not really fast compared to other boats. I suspect that the QCC would have a lot less resistance at racing speeds. Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Dennis

If speed is of most importance…
the 700 will get you there faster at your maximum efforts. I like my Fathom, fairly quick, very responsive and for me fits like a surgical glove. Extremely comfortable. You will get a bit more room for gear in the longer boat. Fathom just looks prettier in any color, got tons of oggling and ahs when it was seen at the Nats this week. Still can get lots of gear in the Fathom. I cannot complain on bit about its everyday use capabilities. Eddyline also makes the S18 Falcon if you must have a longer boat. Any of these fine craft you are considering is a great choice.

Many, many good options
At your height and weight there are very many good boats available.

Neither of the boats in your initial post are among the boats favored by folks with whom I paddle. Though I do know 2 paddlers who have QCC 600s with which they are very happy.

The only folks with whom I’ve spoken who liked the Fathom had never paddled a actual Brit or even a real Brit style boat.

Do you have access to Valley, NDK (SKUK), or P&H boats? Have you tried a Necky Chatham 18 or a Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 or 180?

EddyLine S18 Falcon…
… made my top 5 of kayaks demoed list when buying first longer sea kayak, coming in at #3, CD Caribou #2, KajakSport Viv #4, and EPIC 18 (old model - tied for #2). QCC700 ended up #1 without a demo (but had tried a 500/600 and seen build quality). No regrets in a few thousand miles (just some minor modifications). I demoed maybe a dozen others as well (so it S18 was 3rd out many, not just 5). Fathom did not quite exist yet, and look decent, but does not interest me much now.

FWIW - I’m a bit shorter, same weight range, and was also looking at a wide range of options - not just a go fast boat, not a dedicated anything boat, but one good for putting on miles and a good all around performer. Got that in spades.

Funny thing is, when people are looking at kayaks as different as a 700 and a Fathom, odds are they’d be pretty happy in either and assume they’d made the right choice regardless.

Go buy a boat. Both are good choices (as are many others). You’re wasting prime paddling time in it. Asking people who have no way to tell you what’s best for YOU. If you’re wary of buyer’s remorse - get a used one that you can resell for what you paid.

P&H
If you like your Easky I’m curious why you’re not looking at another P&H? Lots of choices out there, please don’t limit yourself because of a price point. A used fiberglass boat could be cheaper than either of those two choices.

Fickle with Kayaks and …
I am 6’4" 215lbs. I have a Fathom, Quest, and QCC 700. I just bought the QCC 700 this spring and the Fathom last summer. I paddle each for different reasons. The Fathom has been waiting for repairs since spring. I have too much paddling to do… The three boats serve different purposes and handle differently. The Fathom is quick, nimble, and stable. The Fathom was my day boat. I have not been able to pack the Fathom for camping but the specifications call for a heavy load. I doubt if you can “safely” overload it. The cockpit is very comfortable and I can sit in it while bringing in my legs. The QCC 700 is just plain fast if you have the engine for it. There is plenty of room for gear in the QCC 700. It has been fun working on my skills with all three boats. I presented my rating list below.

Rolling: Quest, QCC 700, and Fathom. The Fathom is more difficult with the high back. Technique will resolve the Fathom high back.

Speed: QCC 700, Quest, and Fathom.

Day Touring: Fathom, QCC 700, and Quest.

General Touring: Quest, QCC 700, and Fathom.

Distance Touring: QCC 700, Quest, and Fathom.

Comfort: Fathom, Quest, and QCC 700.

Nimbleness: Fathom, QCC 700 (rudder), and Quest.

Weight QCC, Fathom, and Quest.

Outfitting: Fathom, Quest, and QCC 700. The Quest and Fathom have day hatches.

Camping: QCC 700 (future), Quest, and Fathom.

Durability: Fathom, Quest, and QCC 700.

Quality: Quest, QCC 700, and Fathom.

Rough Water: Quest, Fathom, and QCC 700. Subject to change…

Surf: ? Working on it.

Surf Zone: ? Working on it.

There are many good options from Eddyline, QCC, P&H, Valley, Necky, and NDK. WS non-existent customer service prevents me from recommending their boats although I would own one. You will be able to grow your skills with either boat, but the Fathom may be a better transition boat. The QCC 700 will be the better load hauler. Find the kayaks that fit good and best fill your current then future requirements. You will probably own more boats as your skills mature. Paddle, paddle, paddle and demo, demo, demo.

JimZ

700 a REAL sleeper
Had a 700 and my legs fell a sleep real bad after 5 minutes. Did it the day I got it and the last day I had it. Tried every trick and mod in the book and nothing helped! Many have said the same thing.

Much
appreciate the insightful reply’s…thanks to all. Jimz, excellent report, and Grayak, I understand where you are coming from. So at this time, I’m actively trying to find a 700 to paddle, and if I could find a Capella 166 in carbon or kevlar, I would love to test that one too. As it sits now, my top contenders are Fathom and QCC, but open to paddling another that pops up.