NDK Greenlander Pro???

Legend
I have been paddling a Legend for two summers, and based upon your criteria you might like it.

It is a fast boat.

It does have less initial stability than most, and I actually rest it on one chine or the other most of the time. When paddling this replaces making corrective strokes, I just put the boat on one chine or the other and let the boat “carve” the slight course corrections.

It has good secondary, although it behaves differently than an Avocet or Meridian. Those boats have strong stability up to a “tipping point”, beyond which you are upside down. The Legend will rotate until the cockpit is at the water, but you can hold the boat at any point along the way.

I have only had it in waves of 3-4 feet, but it behaved well in those conditions.

When looking for an 18’ boat I did a short test paddle in the Aquanaut, and I found it to be “boring” compared to the Legend for flat water paddling.

I have not paddled a Greenlander so cannot make a comparison between the two.

40 knots ?
not to be braggin’ but…40 ain’t so bad.

the Columbia river gorge kicks butt and it’s just a sleigh ride. 40 pushes you right along. 50 now is pretty gnarly and 30 is just plain FUN.

I was just out at Cape Disappointment and shot some pics at around 25-30’ swell. impressive surf zone, probably a mile thick.

btw- we just got power, been w/o for a couple days!

steve

Legend…
The Legend is sounding more and more appealing. I would love to have the opportunity to paddle one. Sounds like what I am looking for. Greenlander still sounds like another good possiblility too.

I have watched Nigel Foster’s instructional videos. You can really get a sense of the boat’s livliness by watching how easily it can be thrown on edge. Very apparent in the videos and very appealing to me.

I think I am going to list my Aquanaut on the for sale board…not an easy thing for me to do…and hope to have the chance to paddle the Legend or Greenlander. This may end up being my next boat. More comments are certainly welcome!!!

Matt

Interesting comment re the Legend

– Last Updated: Dec-17-06 12:44 PM EST –

I have briefly messed around with 3 Foster boats, the Legend, Silhouette and the Rumour. And the second above post about the Legend going over until the cockpit is in the water rings a bell.

While at my size I don't get any of this behavior until the Silhouette, then I get a lot of it in the Rumour, the boats approach their secondary point with a lot more enthusiasm than many other boats. That is, with my Explorer LV or my Vela, and even in an Avocet, I feel increasing resistance as I approach the hang point.

However, the Rumour in particular doesn't flip around any more slowly as it gets closer than it does when it starts. You just are paddling along and suddenly whoop! the boat id fully over on edge - very quickly - because if it starts going there at all, it'll go all the way. No slowing down to give you a chance to rethink things halfway there.

It is a behavior that would some time in the seat to get used to. Also, when Foster says a boat is designed to work for a certain weight of paddler he ain't kidding. His boats really do respond as planned for the paddler of the correct size.

His backbands looks like a joke - padding over a strip of hard plastic. But they work great.

+40kt winds
I am certainly not doubting your paddling skills flatpick, however, here in the northeast, with prevailing winds blowing west to east, winter convection winds blowing west to east (the warm gulf stream makes the water warmer than land, warmer air rises, cooler land mass air rushes in to fill the void), if you can’t maintain/overcome paddling against a +40kt headwind (which I cannot), it’s out to sea you go.

The exception to this would be a Nor’easter (a sort of winter Hurricane we get from time to time). Surfers love em, playboaters love em, Police-Emer.Services-Coast Guard not to happy with folks in the water when these happen, at least in NJ. Here you may well be arrested if found violating restricted beach\waterway access during these events.

25Knots = 28.8MPH

30Knots = 34.6MPH

35Knots = 40.3MPH

40Knots = 46.1MPH

45Knots = 51.8MPH

50Knots = 57.6MPH

55Knots = 63.4MPH

60Knots = 69.1MPH

32-38mph - Moderate gale whole trees in motion; inconvenience in walking against wind

39-46mph - Fresh gale breaks twigs off trees; generally impedes progress

47-54mph - Strong gale slight structural damage occurs; chimney pots and slates removed

55-63mph - Whole gale trees uprooted; considerable structural damage occurs

64-72mph - Storm very rarely experienced; accompanied by widespread damage

73+ - Hurricane devastation occurs

I feel your pain
If given a choice, I don’t even try to paddle ‘against’ 25 knots. It’s too much like work. I never set myself up for a long trip to sea!

like I said sleigh rides are way fun. (downwinders)

come out west sometime. winter is best but it’s cold. the easterly blow with the current. in summer the westerlys blow towards the dsert, against the flow. makes for weird interface. your always ferrying.

thank you

– Last Updated: Dec-18-06 5:14 PM EST –

for the invite flatpick, if I ever do make it out west for a paddle, I hope to be fortunate enough to have the opportunity to paddle some water with you.
I have read many good things here about your abilities.

awwww but…
to see 'em in real life is a whole ‘nother ballgame! =:-0)

we’re always looking for new folks to show around! specially in the winter!!!

yesterday was awesome. 11’ @ 12 sec. with a great ebb current. make for a jolly good time!

steve