NDK Romany, other suggestions??

NightHawk is a gread boat
While is is not a brit style boat, it a nice boat that is very efficient/fast and handles rough stuff with aplomb. It has adequate volume for camping trips as its volume is greater than an Avocet or Romany. It is different, but its fine.

Agree…
I paddled one on a month long Alaska photo documentary gig a few years back. I found it a super boat! Playful, quick, excellent rough water manners, plenty of room. I’d mess with the seat and put a backband in, but that’s easy. I think it does belong in this category, and will fit pretty big folk. Eddyline is a good company.

NDK Explorer HV
Picked up a 2000 Explorer HV on eBay for $650. Was very faded and lots of spider cracks but repaired all of them, put in a new seat and the boat is a beauty. Who says there are not great deals out there!

Nighthawk
I’ve paddled it quite a few times as rentals. It’s a nice boat but for me, there’re two drawbacks. 1) it lacks a day hatch (others love it for that) 2) the cockpit is HUGE for me.

It’s also not cheap (similarly priced as the others). And not being fiberglass, most people don’t know how (or if) they can repair it. That might be something serious to worry about.

On the plus side, it’s considerably lighter than the fiberglass version of Romany/Avocet.

QCC anyone?
Not one QCC owner has spoken up. Is this discussion beyond hope?

QCC doesn’t make anything…
… as slow or heavy as a Romany :wink:

Besides, I’m no fan of 300/400/500 - too wide and way too deep. 600/700 are great hulls - but in a different performance/use category than a Romany.

For that type of kayak - Romany is pretty much the benchmark.

Yep, you’re the one I had in mind.
–David.