Necky Looksha IV composite vs. Current Designs GTHV

Any advise on which would be a better kayak to purchase used as a first touring kayak. both are asking around 1000$ - I am 6ft and weigh 160lbs. I’m also considering a Necky Chatam 17 -. I’m hoping to purchase a kayak that i’ll enjoy for years to come. thanks

If at all possible sit in them first because if you’re not comfortable then you won’t use it. You didn’t mention materials. Kevlar and carbon are best, then fiberglass. Plastics hold up against damage if you are paddling in rivers where you may hit objects.
Current Designs makes a better kayak in my opinion but still try and demo them first.

Solstice GT HV? What year? HV has 3/4" higher hull. 6’ 160 lb. would be way big on you. I have GT not HV 6’ 220 LB. fits nice. You need a Solstice GTS. 22" wide. Last two digits of HIN back of hull is the year.

not sure what year yet (its on craig’s list and i’m waiting to find out) . I’ve been doing a little research and it seems to line up about what you mention: that the GTS might be better for a “lighter/smaller” person. I guess i’d be afraid of bobbing around and “swimming” in the cockpit at my weight. I really appreciate your feedback. I think i’ll let the used Solstice GTHV go.
I’m still considering the Necky Looksha IV composite - but it too might be “large”. thanks again - michael

@PaddleDog52 said:
Solstice GT HV? What year? HV has 3/4" higher hull. 6’ 160 lb. would be way big on you. I have GT not HV 6’ 220 LB. fits nice. You need a Solstice GTS. 22" wide. Last two digits of HIN back of hull is the year.

not sure what year yet (its on craig’s list and i’m waiting to find out) . I’ve been doing a little research and it seems to line up about what you mention: that the GTS might be better for a “lighter/smaller” person. I guess i’d be afraid of bobbing around and “swimming” in the cockpit at my weight. I really appreciate your feedback. I think i’ll let the used Solstice GTHV go.
I’m still considering the Necky Looksha IV composite - but it too might be “large”. thanks again - michael

Not familiar with necky but you don’t want to be swimming in the kayak especially in rough water. I know it’s hard but don’t panic get a good kayak with a good fit and you will have it for years. I have found some great deals that clean up like near new. You’re thin 22" kayak would be nice.

Looked at specs @ REI necky composite looks nice for you 22.5" and cockpit size 29.5" x 16" but sit it in it and paddle if they let you.

https://www.rei.com/product/740879/necky-advanced-composite-looksha-iv-kayak-with-rudder

Paddledog52 - I greatly appreciate your help - thanks! Michael> @michaeljp said:

@PaddleDog52 said:

@PaddleDog52 said:
https://www.rei.com/product/740879/necky-advanced-composite-looksha-iv-kayak-with-rudder

Thanks for the advice about being patient. I’m kind of narrowing it down to these 3 choices: Necky Lookhsa IV Composite w/ rudder 17ft (used 950$), Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 Polyethylene and a used Necky Chatam 17ft (800$). A nice review on You Tube compared the Chatam vs. Tempest and the Tempest seemed like a slight edge for more straight line touring. > @PaddleDog52 said:

Good luck. Check hull numbers for year

Offer low you can always come up. Tell them cash soon as you go to ATM. Bill of sale and ID of seller is easy with phone picture of house and plate number and them.

Paddledog, I checked out the used Necky Advanced Compsite Looksha IVS kayak with rudder today. It is in amazingly excellent condition. I fit in the kayak comfortably. It is light to pick up at ~53#s. Just a little concerned because the kayak is a older (2003) and plastics fasteners etc. could be at the end of their life span. And, the 2 hatches can only be opened when you are out of water due to the location far from the cockpit. The asking price is 950$. I’ve got some more information from talking to the owner of the used Necky Chatam Tempest 170 with skeg. Because it is rotomolded, it weighs in at ~63#s. He said it is in very good condition being only used a few times and would probably fit my frame. The owner dropped the price from 800 to 750 since the drive is a little far to fetch it. The third option I am interested in, is a Wilderness Systems Tempest 170. I don’t know about the fit but the review on You Tube really thought the WS kayak was better than the Necky Chatam (especially in regards to a slight edge in efficiency and tracking - which seems more important to me than “playfulness”). …so, any general guidance…? thanks greatly

@PaddleDog52 said:
Offer low you can always come up. Tell them cash soon as you go to ATM. Bill of sale and ID of seller is easy with phone picture of house and plate number and them.

2003 is not particularly old for a composite kayak. My wife has an older kevlar Looksha IV, which she will not part with. I did replace the footpegs with the style that do not slide, more like an accelerator pedal for controlling the rudder.

I have an 99 Libra XT everything was original. Deck fittings were fine doubt they cooked in the sun all those years. Also have 2003 extreme that was beat up but really didn’t need deck fittings but I really restored the entire kayak. 2000 Extreme was also in great shape just installed new reflective deck lines. Deck fasteners are usually all available and just bolt in. If your picking up 53 lb. bag of sand vs 63 lb. off the ground not a big deal. Kayaks being long you really feel it much more.

Pictures above are 2000 extreme original deck fittings. Below is 2008 deck fitting

I did as rsevernic did dumped old style sliding peddles for new Sea-lect gas pedal style. That does involve installing new cables on rudder kayaks.

I can’t get to my hatches either. I use a Seals deck bag for storing water, camera, gloves, and snacks.

http://www.sealectdesigns.com/categories/deck-hardware

Reflective deck line is .45 per foot

WS Tempest 170 has cockpit width of 18" as I can see that would be huge on you. You need 16" wide seat or even 15.5" would be good like my Extreme. To measure your width like race cars seat sit on bench and get two things like milk crates or boxes and see them like bookends then measure it when you stand up. Seat can be a bit wider but not two inches.