Necky Looksha IV composite vs. Current Designs GTHV

@PaddleDog52 said:
did you try paddleswap.com ?

Paddledog52- thanks - i’ve been looking there sometime. i’m going to try and make it to a kayak shop near Rochester NY (they have a pretty large inventory of new/used kayaks with demo possibilities - i might be able to get a better feel for a CD Solstice, and other kayaks). one of the first kayaks i was interested in was a Eddyline Fathom. do you have any opinion/advice on the Eddyline Fathom. there is a used one 2005 for ~1800$. thanks, michael

I have 2 friends with Fathoms. They both like them and are experienced kayakers. Here in North Idaho, there is a demo Fathom in very good shape for $2200, whereas $1800 sounds steep for a kayak that is ~12 years old.

Agree that $1800 for a 12-year old Fathom is too high. I didn’t pay much more for my 2017 Fathom LV. Talked with a couple of guys paddling Fathoms last weekend. They were quite happy with their boats. Took delivery of my LV late April. It’s been a joy to paddle.

We have a eddyline Journey in the fleet. I think price was 2200 or there about plus tax. Not sure on year 2010 or 2011. I"ll look in the morning. Kayak has been fine with light use. I personally hate the seat because it’s hard plastic with a pad. Thigh braces seem to point down bit much not comfortable for me.

My friend has a Eddyline Raven. Nice looking, paddles nice in semi rough water that I have seen it in, decent speed. He was going to the around Manhattan gig. Front tie down he ran over with front wheel. It bent the boat bow and split it open and deformed it. End of story it was junk, not repairable. Not sure what would of happen if it was a fiberglass but it would have been repairable. I think the tie down would have snapped because of the strength of glass hulls. That of course is not normal use by a long shot.

He bought another one and there said the gave him a blem for real good price hats off to Eddyline. Double hats off because I don’t think it was a blem they felt sorry for him. We never found a flaw in the kayak. Second one the combing separated / cracked away from the hull. He may have crushed it with the tie downs not sure but when repaired it never held. If it was fiberglass easy to repair permanently. Then the seat broke lose from the hull also. I paddled an S18 Falcon a while back it was stable and fast and but did flex a bit. That was a while back I think I would like it less now with more experience since then.

Now would an Eddyline be fine for you I would say yes if you like it. As rsevenic said 2005 for 1,800 is crazy considering what it cost new probably 21-22 or even less. The kayak is really 13 years old now. I use a rule of thumb for most things not sure if it’s right but at 7 years half price for most things I buy, even construction equipment. Journey or Fathom they are close in price. I bought a 2008 Solstice for 1,800 in 2010 in really near new condition. two or three small scratches on the bottom. Came with Werner Shuna fiberglass paddle, C-tug cart, skirt, and a few other small items. Total worth 4,000 granted a great find. Dealer will try to get as much as possible because he’s a dealer and rightfully should he’s in business. Guy I bough it from lived down the block from the water and carted it there. He said he used it 5-6 times and I believe it. He just wanted it out of his garage he didn’t need the coin. That’s where you get a deal or someone needs the money and has lost interest in kayaking. For me if you buy a car at a good dealer and pay more it may be worth it for warranty or it’s a good lease on return. Kayaks are really what you see is what you get if you know what to look for. No suspensions, engines, or computers which are good today and thousands to replace the week after.

Great to go to the dealer and try stuff I think I have seen the dealer on line and they’re big I think a CD dealer also. You could learn a lot by paddling stuff even if you have to give the guy a few bucks to demo a few it would be money well spent. The if you like something rent it for a few hours. When I went from SOT we bought at dealer I rented a Solstice and then a Nomad. I was not ready for the Nomad I had it 45 minutes and was exhausted from twitching in it. LOL. Rented it a second time and it was way better. Then I knew I wanted a Solstice or a real sea kayak of some type.

I would rather have a 2005 Solstice or other good glass boat for 1,800. Glass you can buff out, wet sand or even paint fairly easy unlike thermoformed kayaks. Let us know how you make out up there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURRENT-DESIGNS-17-7-FOOT-TOURING-FIBERGLASS-KAYAK-SOLSTICE-GTS/222621944737?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 I would rather have that than the Fathom any day. Looks to be in real good shape. Gone but an example of what you can get. It was probably a early 2000’s by looking at the rear hatch which is not like the newer design lids. It is the same hatch they use on the Libra to this day which works great on mine. Guy was even willing to deliver it a bit. Really like new no UV damage as they correctly state. If a CD boat is older you will see the seam black faded, anodized aluminum turn lighter purple possibly, hatch straps faded. Hatch straps come back to life and look good with 303 Protectorant. Seams can be waxed or painted or use “Meguiar’s Back to Black” of your nuts like me, why not have it look good for 2 hours work and a few bucks. Patience.

Eddyline Fathom is 2,699 list brand new on their website.

I called up Oak Orchard Canoe in Rochester NY (4 hr trip) to find out about the used Current Designs GT that was originally on Craig’s List in Rochester. It’s a 2001 and being sold with some gear (carbon paddle, PFD, bilge pump, etc)…asking $900 (original Craig’s list it was $725). What do you think…? Thanks, Michael . > @PaddleDog52 said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURRENT-DESIGNS-17-7-FOOT-TOURING-FIBERGLASS-KAYAK-SOLSTICE-GTS/222621944737?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 I would rather have that than the Fathom any day. Looks to be in real good shape. Gone but an example of what you can get. It was probably a early 2000’s by looking at the rear hatch which is not like the newer design lids. It is the same hatch they use on the Libra to this day which works great on mine. Guy was even willing to deliver it a bit. Really like new no UV damage as they correctly state. If a CD boat is older you will see the seam black faded, anodized aluminum turn lighter purple possibly, hatch straps faded. Hatch straps come back to life and look good with 303 Protectorant. Seams can be waxed or painted or use “Meguiar’s Back to Black” of your nuts like me, why not have it look good for 2 hours work and a few bucks. Patience.

Paddle it if possible. Cond

ition and what gear? Look at pedals they will be Yakima sliders which suck but you can change later. Black seam really faded, scratches, bungee condition, hatch seals, hatch straps, seat condition, look for cracks, spiders, impacts, & deep scratches / gouges.

Used that to beat them down. Ask if it’s a rental or did someone trade it in.
Hatch straps are 150 for 6 but you need three on that Solstice. All parts are available for that kayak. Nice kayak in all conditions flat to rough. Very stable dry ride & comfortable. Just my opinions. HIN number on hull is year. Last two digits is year. Send pictures / post them here. I’ll be at boat show so I can look.

That is a 1999 hull identification number.

Check rudder and lines to it.

Is is Kevlar? Nice but not end of world. Tell the guy you were looking for Kevlar. Don’t seem anxious and eager.
They may not want to sit with it all winter or the customer. Good thing is nice because it’s a fresh water boat. All straps on my kayak are original 1999 303 brings them back if not torn.

Check rudder pin should be good the big philips may need half turn if lose.

You can glue it with super glue if not torn. Replacing it is no big deal if in bad shape.

Check rear hatch too. Make a check list so you don’t forget anything.

Ask to paddle it even if you have to pay fee bucks. Think I have a seat back cushion if you want it if it is crappy.

To paraphrase an old management saying: There comes a time in the life of a project to shoot the advisors and get it done.

Hi Celia - thank you for your help along the way. I am still looking for a used kayak. Based on good guidance and much research, i have pretty much narrowed it down to Current Design Solstice GT (or GTS) - it really seems to fit my wants in a touring kayak. I just wanted to let you know because i’ll be taking this discussion off line based on the last persons interruption. thanks, michael

@Celia said:
@Michaeljp
Just as a reference point, Jim and I traveled 4 to 6 hours fit is a swing by someplace to test boats a couple times, but in fairness that was when we were moving into our first fiberglass sea kayaks and we had a very good idea of what we wanted. At this point in my life I might find a reason to go spend a weekend somewhere if I could try out an interesting used boat there as well though…