Necky Looksha IV composite vs. Current Designs GTHV

On a You Tube video on the Valley Nordkapp LV (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXilcmGCLxk). It was mentioned that the newer LV version was made to address the older Nordkapp’s issue with the boat being to high in the water with no travel load (to me I intend to use the boat mostly unloaded and I weigh only 160…)> @rsevenic said:

Found more:

From Mike Buckley’s article “Valley Nordkapp: The Life and Times of a classic British sea kayak”
[After the Nordkapp expedition a skeg was permanently moulded to the hull, this being intended to solve the boat’s tendancy to weathercock". That worked, but produced a boat which had to be put right over on edge to get it to turn as it then tracked like a train. In really strong winds, it had a tendency to leecock and this is a consistent comment from many paddlers, of which more will be found later in the article. It’s not known exactly when the HM hull was first produced, but p13 of the 1977 Cape Horn Expedition Report shows a line drawing of an HM hull.]

Is Nick Crowhurst on this forum? He could comment.

@PaddleDog52 said:
NDK & NC kayaks have no rudder or skeg. I have one skeg in fleet a eddyline journey. Does help to pop up skeg to turn.

NDK boats often have skegs.

You can get them most I see have none. Even the 22’ Triton tandem had no rudder but it is an option.

Certainly I don’t know the relative numbers of skeg vs non skeg NDK boats. The early models had rope skegs, now supplanted by wire skegs (SKUK as current vendor). The skeg is listed as standard. Both NDK boats I’ve had were skeg boats. My Explorer rarely needs the skeg. I’ve heard the same of the Romany, but mine seemed to need some skeg more frequently. I can see some choosing the option to have no skeg, but I’d rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it.

@michaeljp
Sorry, been out in a boat today. Just catching up.
To handle a couple of basics - NO NDK boats except maybe a tandem if they ever made one have ever had rudders. Rudders are mostly an American continent and some other manufacturers - like Kayak Sport - thing. Older ones had rope skegs, some people hated the rope skegs and preferred cable/wire skegs, I have both between my boats and don’t have much bad to say about either.

That is not to say you will never see a photo of an NDK boat with an add-on rudder. Kayak Sport made some that could be creatively fit onto a variety of boats, and when you are doing far more serious expedition paddling than most of us it is not uncommon to see a boat fitted out with boath a skeg and rudder. But we are talking about long, often multi-week trips.

As to the two boats you mention - a post above has it right on the Nordkapp HM. It is stiff in the water and you will have to take it over on edge to turn it. As much as new paddlers tend to like boats that track well, they also find themselves stressed if they are out on a windy day and have to argue with the boat to get it to turn home. The Nordkapp HM is also within their full out touring designs - it really does not behave at its best unless it is carrying a decent load. I know one person who had a string of weights that he put into his boat (it wasn’t a Nordie but similar issues) for each paddle to get it down in the water right for day paddling. He was OK with that accommodation, others may not be.

The NordKapp LV turns much more easily and will behave as usual with a day paddle type load. I have my husband’s that I hope to make my local paddling boat this coming season after I have some winter pool time. But that is because I will need to get my roll back on both sides to paddle it. The Nordkapp LV is sweet and slick thru the water, rolls like a dream, but is relatively unfazed by whether it is upright or upside down. The boat is happy all the way thru 360 degrees. New paddlers usually have a strong preference for the upper 120 degrees of that.

But honestly, lack of a day hatch and rudder and all, you may have a score with the Current Designs Solstice GT. Confirm the rudder is working OK but it probably is fine, CD rudder assemblies tend to age well. My first sea kayak was a Squall, a smallish cousin but in the Solstice line. All the Solstice series boats have a general tendency to be relatively fast thru the water and have pretty strong secondary stability. Translation, where the really rolly boats like the Nordkapp LV will keep going when you are off balance, the Solstice boats will stop before capsize. It is a tracker and will require some convincing to turn in a lot of wind, but it has a rudder if you need to punt to that and is not so argumentative about it that you can’t impose your own opinion. The have ridiculous storage capacity for their apparent size, you can load those boats to the gills. It’ll feel like you are paddling a Mac truck, takes a bit to get speed initiated, but it is kind of nice to feel less limited on what you can carry.

What I am saying is that these are great boats to get you on the water and back home again, and when you start out those are fairly important.

I suspect it is actually 17 ft and a few inches, but if you can handle 17 ft you can manage a slight overshoot of that.

Celia don’t you think a Solstice GT HV would be to big at 160 lb. 6’ tall? GTS would be better fit no?

@paddledog52, @michaeljp
Yes, the HV would be too big. But the red one pictured in this link (https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/current-design-solstice-gt/6282122629.html) is described as a regular GT, no HV listed. Michael, slash my support if it is the HV, PaddleDog52 is right. But are there two or one Solstices that you are referring to in posts above?

GTS would be a good fit, yes.

I think his original Solstice post was HV model. Combing and seat needs a better picture. 725 I bet 650 would take it or even a bit less. Probably needs a few items but doesn’t look bad and I love my Solstice. All parts and rigging are easily obtainable from CD just if you are really interested get a bunch of closer pictures. I would ask for hatch seals, seat area, rudder, and hatch straps. It probably has the Yakima sliding pedals unless he changed them which suck for me but they are usable and could be swapped over the winter. I have done all four of my CD boats. Also a good boat for resale as it is popular and suits many.

Yes. While my second boat was specifically chosen to get the Greenland/Brit features over the North American style ones, my Squall was a very good boat that did her job for me quite wonderfully. It went down the river to a new home, to someone who was also a newer paddler and needed something solid to get started. I did finally master a one out of three times roll in it, though my percentages went up immediately when I got the NDK boat. But the Solstice series is a design ethic that deserves respect. And as mentioned, the company is still around so it is not too bad to get parts. This would not be true of many other boats.

Every part is available with good service and reasonable prices.

Celai - Hope you had a nice day on the water. The original post was for a CD Solstice GTHV and this newer post is for a plain GT. I have taken PaddleDog’s advice about the GTS being a better fit (maybe keep open to finding one). Thank you for your comments and guidance about both kayaks (NDK HM and Solstice GT). You really seem to confirm my hesitancy concerning the Valley NDK HM especially needing and traveling better with a heavier load - which is not my immediate intent - and because I am relatively lite (the owner is 220#s). The CD Solstice kayak seller has not returned my email and the location is about 4 hrs (which is a pretty far to travel) - so, I don’t think “it’s” going in my direction. I am going to let that NDK go. Thank you Paddledog and Celia - Michael

@Celia said:
@paddledog52, @michaeljp
Yes, the HV would be too big. But the red one pictured in this link (https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/current-design-solstice-gt/6282122629.html) is described as a regular GT, no HV listed. Michael, slash my support if it is the HV, PaddleDog52 is right. But are there two or one Solstices that you are referring to in posts above?

@Michaeljp
Just as a reference point, Jim and I traveled 4 to 6 hours fit is a swing by someplace to test boats a couple times, but in fairness that was when we were moving into our first fiberglass sea kayaks and we had a very good idea of what we wanted. At this point in my life I might find a reason to go spend a weekend somewhere if I could try out an interesting used boat there as well though…

If you get good current pictures of a boat and price is right you can look at it as a days work. Make a day out of it gas is cheap. You might even get a person to meet you halfway or do 1 he. drive. Good pictures can tell you everything. Maybe 12 pictures close up. I’m starting to have anxiety attacks till you get a kayak. GTS would be great for your size and fast. Try Google like I did say “Current Designs Solstice GST for sale”. You will have to sift though some junk and dealer’s sites but it works. eBay also. I got three of my CD boats with searches on Craigslist and one on eBay.

If I find one for cheap I’ll be heading to Pittsburgh with it. LOL

No anxiety - sorry about that - if it is God’s will this season, i’ll get a kayak. As I was looking around doing some searches like you said, I was surprised to discover a touring kayak only 10 minutes from my house. Necky Elaho RM (16’4",61 lbs, rudder, $600 obo, ~2005, http://www.keelhauler.org/khcc/khcads.htm I took a look at it this afternoon and it’s in good shape and fits well. Pretty nice since it is conveniently located and would be easy to purchase and get out on the water right away. My only concern is that is plastic RM and slightly heavy and has some minor bumps/ ripples/oil canning on the bottom which i’m sure most RMs have. Compared to the first kayak (and only) I’ve seen - the Necky Looksha IV fiberglass, it sure doesn’t seem as “pretty” or smooth. That first Necky Looksha IV was a pretty nice looking kayak but as Celia said, it is an older design (2001). I plan to go to a kayak store about 2 hrs away and demo some of the Stellar Kayaks to get a feel for them and learn a little more along the way.
Thanks - Michael (i’ll meet you half way LOL)

@PaddleDog52 said:
If you get good current pictures of a boat and price is right you can look at it as a days work. Make a day out of it gas is cheap. You might even get a person to meet you halfway or do 1 he. drive. Good pictures can tell you everything. Maybe 12 pictures close up. I’m starting to have anxiety attacks till you get a kayak. GTS would be great for your size and fast. Try Google like I did say “Current Designs Solstice GST for sale”. You will have to sift though some junk and dealer’s sites but it works. eBay also. I got three of my CD boats with searches on Craigslist and one on eBay.

If I find one for cheap I’ll be heading to Pittsburgh with it. LOL

https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1532259/foster-legend-vs-cd-extreme-solstice-gts

Hi Celia -I just noticed back in the discussion that you owned a Necky Elaho (would you mind taking a look at my recent post) I just checked out a RM Necky Elaho in my area and would appreciate your feedback - thanks - Michael> @Celia said:

@paddledog52, @michaeljp

@michaeljp
The Elaho we have is one of the first two years with a drop skeg, which is a seriously fun boat but not likely you want. It really did not like to go straight. But - after that they took out a lot of the rocker and added a rudder, turned it into more of a day touring boat than the original almost play boat version. Odds are it is the latter that is available around you - there was a reason they tamed it out of being a play boat.

I know two people locally who had the ruddered version and they were very happy with it. They put it out in a range of fits in terms of paddlers over the years, so it remained a good fit for someone who was on the leaner side. The drop skeg version had very aggressive thigh braces, and the ones in the ruddered version were modified but still quite solid for boat control. Like many of the Necky boats its bias towards weathercocking is on the more-so side, but all boats do it some and the rudder can tame that. Hull speed was about in the middle of touring boats and I don’t recall anyone having complaints about the seat. Hatches leaked a bit if you got them really wet in the plastic ones, but that is more the norm than not in plastic boats. You will end up getting a bunch of dry bags anyway. It made a good beginner’s boat in its stabilities. The drop skeg version was fine in big water, really fun in surf thanks to its enthusiasm for turning, so the ruddered versions that were tweaked to track better should also be fine with bigger conditions. They kept the diamond chining on the hull, just removed some rocker so it tracked better.

Hope this helps.

@PaddleDog52 said:
https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1532259/foster-legend-vs-cd-extreme-solstice-gts

Thanks for the helpful link. I really like what i am reading/seeing about the Current Designs Solstice GT. The kayak also fits what i am leaning towards (17 ft, touring, fiberglass/compsite, <~55#s, tracks v. well, fast, nice looking, etc.). So, i am going to keep patiently looking in this direction - unless some really good boat/deal comes up. But the Solstice appears like the right fit for now and in the future. …M

Just get what you like from what you said I found you’ll never be happy with the roto that’s oil canning.

did you try paddleswap.com ?