Necky Looksha IV composite vs. Current Designs GTHV

@michaeljp One more thing re the Explorer - from your dimensions, you are taller than you are heavy. That is on the lean side. So cockpit width can matter but how much depends on how much the thigh braces reach in from the inner edge of the cockpit. Some makers have them as a real obvious jut out from the coaming, thus narrowing the distance to reach them side to side from the stated cockpit dimensions. Other kayak manufacturers seem to have forgotten altogether that those things are useful. One of the things that is typical of the NDK boats from the era of the Explorer designs is very enunciated thigh braces. They are flat, no hooking down or being confining, but compared to the almost nonexistent thigh braces of many other boats of that era they are very accessible and usable.

An NDK Explorer for $1000 is a pretty good deal. Of the choices you’ve mentioned, it would certainly be my choice. In fact, of the various boats I’ve paddled, it would be still be my first choice. I picked one up for $600. It was beat up and dirty, yet fundamentally sound. I put about $250 into it, including replacing the backband. The one you’ve seen has a different backband anyway.

By reputation, it’s not as fast as one might expect, but it’s certainly fast enough - and definitely faster than our Looksha IV. Mine has the rope skeg, which I really like - easy to repair in the field. If a bit newer than mine, it may have the wire skeg which I have never messed with. NDK’s are on the heavy side I suppose, but they are very sturdy. The hull design doesn’t seem to weathercock, so I don’t happen to use the skeg much at all. The Explorer is one of the classic designs. This would be a kayak you might even keep long term.

The length is somewhat short of 18’ with the older ones being the longest at 17’ 8".

Not sure but looking at .NDK the seat looks to not be original or recovered. Others here may know better. Like I said before if you like a boat at 1000 offer 800 nothing to lose. Looks in decent shape. Hatches are important as Celia said if you’re packing gear. Patience

@Michaeljp and PaddleDog52

Paddledog is correct, that is not the original hung seat in the Explorer. It is either a Redfish minicell foam seat or someone’s home made version of same. Which means the original seat may still be around. That said, you tend to find a fair number of these boats with the original seat pulled out and replaced by foam ones. Aside from taking out the space behind the back band where I usually stick my paddle float, there isn’t a reason to dislike the minicell alternative.

Getting off subject slightly … the Explorer’s hung seat had a tendency to break, but people learned to stick minicell or whatever underneath to provide support before breakage occurred. Mine is that way, and I also I put a thin minicell layer on top of the seat for comfort and it is happy. It came with the original backband which I did replace. In any case, the Explorer in the Craigslist ad looks like these potential problems got resolved. Messing with backbands and seats in a new-to-you boat is pretty common anyway.

@rsevenic One of the not uncommon complaints with those seats was that they were too short, thus creating a tight spot for people in the middle of their thigh in back. Not an issue for me in the Romany, but it bothered enough folks that you tend to see foam seats put in. Fitted right they are very comfortable.

I managed to get some more pictures of the 2001 NDK Explorer. The kayak is not in great shape. The kayak has three major repairs and the skeg was removed etc. I guess anything can look great on craig’s lists’s picture. But, at least the guy selling the kayak was upfront about it. So, i’m going to let this kayak go. As a first kayak i’d like to enjoy for years, i’ll keep looking. I appreciate everyone’s help. Sounded like the Explorer was a good option. thanks - m.

@Celia said:
@rsevenic One of the not uncommon complaints with those seats was that they were too short, thus creating a tight spot for people in the middle of their thigh in back. Not an issue for me in the Romany, but it bothered enough folks that you tend to see foam seats put in. Fitted right they are very comfortable.

@michaeljp Yup, let that one go. Major repairs may mean that someone put a hole in it. And you do need the skeg for those boats.
You are in Pittsburgh area, do I have that right?

@michaeljp said:
I managed to get some more pictures of the 2001 NDK Explorer. The kayak is not in great shape. The kayak has three major repairs and the skeg was removed etc. I guess anything can look great on craig’s lists’s picture. But, at least the guy selling the kayak was upfront about it. So, i’m going to let this kayak go. As a first kayak i’d like to enjoy for years, i’ll keep looking. I appreciate everyone’s help. Sounded like the Explorer was a good option. thanks - m.

Good detective work. The Explorer often does not need a skeg, but when necessary it’s nice to have. A major repair if done well, is OK - but 3 major repairs suggest general abuse.

300 for that kayak near 600 in parts and then my free labor. Came out nice but almost not a bargain easier to buy good used one like my HV Extreme. I wanted a Nomad / Extreme without spending over 4 grand so I guess it was still worth it for me. I did learn a lot about kayak restoration and rigging them up.

@Celia said:
@michaeljp Yup, let that one go. Major repairs may mean that someone put a hole in it. And you do need the skeg for those boats.
You are in Pittsburgh area, do I have that right?

Celia, yes, i’m in the Pittsburgh area. thanks, michael

@PaddleDog52 said:

300 for that kayak near 600 in parts and then my free labor. Came out nice but almost not a bargain easier to buy good used one like my HV Extreme. I wanted a Nomad / Extreme without spending over 4 grand so I guess it was still worth it for me. I did learn a lot about kayak restoration and rigging them up.

It did come out really nice. thanks for the pictures. i see what you mean ----buy a good used kayak.

PaddleDog52, What do you think about this kayak?
https://chautauqua.craigslist.org/boa/d/english-fiberglass-sea-kayak/6299331883.html
the person has been steadily dropping the price. looks ok from the pics. a little concerned that it is a 1991. but for 629?? thanks, michael

@PaddleDog52 said:
Not sure but looking at .NDK the seat looks to not be original or recovered. Others here may know better. Like I said before if you like a boat at 1000 offer 800 nothing to lose. Looks in decent shape. Hatches are important as Celia said if you’re packing gear. Patience

No clue on that brand. I did see it. I was seeing what’s in your area. Probably for 600 you could get newer. You would probably want newer foot rest, rigging, possibility seat. May be Celia knows the brand. Glass should be fine. Saw a Lone Star boat two days ago. I guessed the year 1966 it was a 65 looked great. If you like it offer 450 it is a 1991 you could go 500 wave cash. Selling it now will be tough soon. 57 is tad heavy but even new Brit boats are that now.

Paddledog52: I did notice a CD Solstice GT for sale for 700-800$ (https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/current-design-solstice-gt/6282122629.html). Compared to the Nordkapp I was just asking about, this seems like a better way to go because the Nordkapp is much older…? thanks, michael

@PaddleDog52 said:
Solstice GT HV? What year? HV has 3/4" higher hull. 6’ 160 lb. would be way big on you. I have GT not HV 6’ 220 LB. fits nice. You need a Solstice GTS. 22" wide. Last two digits of HIN back of hull is the year.

Hi Celia - looking at 2 kayaks with in 2-3 hrs of me. Would you happen to have any knowledge or opinions on a Valley Nordkapp (HM, fiberglass, 57#s, 1991, $629, no repairs only scratches) https://chautauqua.craigslist.org/boa/d/english-fiberglass-sea-kayak/6299331883.html

or a Current Designs Solstice GT (fiberglass, 54#s, 2001, $725) https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/current-design-solstice-gt/6282122629.html

thank you - michael

@Celia said:
@michaeljp One more thing re the Explorer - from your dimensions, you are taller than you are heavy. That is on the lean side. So cockpit width can matter but how much depends on how much the thigh braces reach in from the inner edge of the cockpit. Some makers have them as a real obvious jut out from the coaming, thus narrowing the distance to reach them side to side from the stated cockpit dimensions. Other kayak manufacturers seem to have forgotten altogether that those things are useful. One of the things that is typical of the NDK boats from the era of the Explorer designs is very enunciated thigh braces. They are flat, no hooking down or being confining, but compared to the almost nonexistent thigh braces of many other boats of that era they are very accessible and usable.

Thanks. Still be patient…? like you said, that “dream boat” could come up…? but at 500$? I just spoke with the owner. he said there are no repairs just a lot of scratches on the bottom, tracks well, but it is heavy that is the main reason for selling. I like the idea of no skeg or rudder just a good simple kayak. the hull is called a modified hull so it has it’s own “keel” so to speak. > @PaddleDog52 said:

No clue on that brand. I did see it. I was seeing what’s in your area. Probably for 600 you could get newer. You would probably want newer foot rest, rigging, possibility seat. May be Celia knows the brand. Glass should be fine. Saw a Lone Star boat two days ago. I guessed the year 1966 it was a 65 looked great. If you like it offer 450 it is a 1991 you could go 500 wave cash. Selling it now will be tough soon. 57 is tad heavy but even new Brit boats are that now.

There are many different hulls as the Nordkapp evolved. The HM stern is obviously something of a fixed skeg. I have heard (but have no direct evidence) that the HM has a tendency to leecock, a bad feature. Anybody know something more definitive on this?

Found more:

From Mike Buckley’s article “Valley Nordkapp: The Life and Times of a classic British sea kayak”
[After the Nordkapp expedition a skeg was permanently moulded to the hull, this being intended to solve the boat’s tendancy to weathercock". That worked, but produced a boat which had to be put right over on edge to get it to turn as it then tracked like a train. In really strong winds, it had a tendency to leecock and this is a consistent comment from many paddlers, of which more will be found later in the article. It’s not known exactly when the HM hull was first produced, but p13 of the 1977 Cape Horn Expedition Report shows a line drawing of an HM hull.]

Is Nick Crowhurst on this forum? He could comment.

@michaeljp said:
Thanks. Still be patient…? like you said, that “dream boat” could come up…? but at 500$? I just spoke with the owner. he said there are no repairs just a lot of scratches on the bottom, tracks well, but it is heavy that is the main reason for selling. I like the idea of no skeg or rudder just a good simple kayak. the hull is called a modified hull so it has it’s own “keel” so to speak. > @PaddleDog52 said:

NDK & NC kayaks have no rudder or skeg. I have one skeg in fleet a eddyline journey. Does help to pop up skeg to turn.