Need suggestions for a kayak or canoe

I have an old Coleman canoe that is just too heavy. I’d like to get either a canoe or a kayak that is much lighter weight. It will be used on the sound at the beach, so there is open water, currents and wind to deal with. I won’t be paddling it far. Mainly just to get out on the water and fish a bit. But I don’t go because I dread trying to handle that Coleman 80lb monster by myself. I want something with really good stability, reasonably easy to paddle. I’ll buy used, not new. Just a beater to get out on the water is all I’m after. I don’t have much preference between canoe vs kayak, but I assume the kayak would be more stable, all else being equal.

Definitely needs to be less than 60lbs. And I’d like to stay around 50lbs. Reason being I keep it on a rack near the water and don’t want to have to deal with a cart just for that short distance.

What is your question, do you want a specific boat recommendation? You seem to have defined your requirements.

You need a sit on top kayak. Finding one used at your desired weight will be the issue.
Is there a reason why you can’t drag it?

2 Likes

I can drag it. But it’s just a hassle to get it off the rack and back on with that weight. So I just tend not to go use it becasue of that. I’d like something light, so I won’t hesitate when I think about taking it out.

Yes, looking for specific boat recc. Brand and model and weight. And how stable vs other choices would be helpful too.

Google Sit on Top kayaks and you will get a ton of information. Also Top Kayaker.

See the thread here about a kayak for a 13 yo girl. A Pelican Matrix is being discussed. Apparently light weight and cheap, and discontinued.

I bought a Pelican as a first kayak. Super unstable. I used it exactly once.

1 Like

Well, Eddyline makes the Carribbean 12 SOT, which comes in at 45 pounds. EDY also makes other thermoform kayaks which are light weight, but finding used for sale could be a challenge since there seems to be a kayak shortage in some areas.

Deals do exist that fit your needs in the canoe world. Kevlar boats pop up all the time. I think the market is relatively tight right now because people are using them. However, come September people will look at theirs and say “Another year I didn’t use this…” . I got my Wenonah Fisherman (kevlar) for $400. As a fisherman, I would never give up the height of a canoe seat because I like sight fishing too much.

So what are some stable, lightweight canoes and kayaks? I have a list, but wanted to check here and see which ones I should look at. I’m sure I’ve missed a bunch that I should consider.

Even a Grumman 13’ aluminum canoe would meet your requirements. Your list could have a hundred boats on it. There’s little available at any given time and place. Why not see whats available, if the price is right google the specs, and if something looks good see if you can find a review?

What about an Old Town Katahdin 12?

Anyone??

The Katahdin sold. That was fast.

Now considering a Native Ultimate 145 Tandem and an Indian River 14 tunnel hull. The Native is an older model with the seats almost in the floor. Seller knows nothing about it as to how much it weighs/what model it is/etc. It could be 52 or 57 or 71lbs. Or even more. I’m unsure of weights on the older models. The Indian River looks to be in nice shape and of course is cheaper price. Weight on that one is 60lbs. Which would be more stable between those two? If they’re close in stability, then weight and price would be the two big factors for me.

This guy who works at Headwaters Kayaks in California makes excellent videos where he buys cheap kayaks of various typed and actually test paddles them. This is a guy who knows a lot about kayak design and features and has experience with high end boats. He gives realistic feedback on cheap boats that should be very valuable for anyone looking to get on the water on a budget. Here are his two short videos on “Best Fishing Kayaks under $500”:

He even made one evaluating new kayaks under $300! I think he has a great positive and realistic approach to the advantages and drawbacks of cheaper boats. He actually found some surprising winners even in this batch – as well as some that should be avoided (and he explains why.) You do have to click past a few ads but this is worth it. I admit I have tended to be a snob about “cheap rec boats” but I have to say I have changed my opinion of some of them based on his demonstrations. He’s very careful to be specific about how and where to safely used them.

I was also impressed with his videos and opinions.

JBsea…if there is a possibility to take a lesson, why not take a beginner kayak lesson, you’ll gain enough knowledge & skills to stay alive while out on the water. If lessons are not near…what is your weight?

1 Like

If you want to haul gear, dogs, and people, consider a used canoe.

5’11" and 205lbs

No hauling gear. I just want something stable and light weight. Usually just me, but need a tandem on occasion. I only took the current canoe out twice in the last year. So whatever I get won’t see alot of use. It’s so shallow where I go, I can just stand up. So no lessons needed. Plus I’ve been using a canoe longer than most of you have been alive! I’ve just never worried much about weight and stability until now.