New boat day! Yay!

Picked up an older CD Squall today. It joins my CD Solstice GTS and a Perception Eclipse, along with a couple of sit on tops.

The Squall is well loved; in good shape overall, with some scratching on the bottom. It’s a loaner boat, and maybe one I’ll use exploring the marshes on the Cape. My Solstice is just too long (of course the Squall is only a foot shorter…)

I’m not really happy how the boat sits on the trailer. Because of its length, the Thule kayak holders aren’t placed along the bulwarks; the whole thing is shifted to the rear. The trailer has an optional longer tongue and I already have that one in place!

(I haven’t tried either my Solstice GTS or the Perception Eclipse on the trailer yet…both boats will have this issue on the trailer too, as they are longer than the Squall.)

[Edit: Thought I had the longer tongue, just measured. Ordering the longer tongue now, which will give me another 30", which should be fine!]

6 Likes

Roof rack.

Better for the boat, not as easy for people of short stature. :slight_smile:

Old Army adage, mission before men .
And a good step stool.

1 Like

May not be legal with overhang being that long. ???

You’re right!

Massachusetts violations:
OVERHANG +4 FT WITHOUT FLAG/LIGHT
OVERHANG +15 FT WITHOUT FOLLOW CAR

“But officer, the whole darn kayak is a big yellow flag!” (Just ordered two warning flags for future use)

The extended trailer tongue will allow me to shift the kayak forward thirty inches and will help with trailer balance…yesterday too much of the weight was hanging off the back and not enough weight was on the tongue.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to launching the Squall on our kettle pond and see how it compares to my Solstice…

2 Likes

How do you like that Sylvan Kayak trailer? I was looking at those. I like that it can just stand upright against a wall.

Longer the trailer (ball to axle) the easier it is to back up.

2 Likes

Love the trailer…just bought it a couple of months ago (used) and keep finding uses for it. It’s a bit small relative to a Harbor Freight trailer, so it won’t carry quite as much crap…but it’s perfect for kayak, fat tire bike, etc.

The structure is designed to take the Thule 450/450R mount, so you can use any Thule bar and accessory mounting. I assume Yakima has a similar roof rail mount that would work. You could even put a camper top on it and sleep in it!

It’s really solid and just rolls down the road. I don’t even notice it behind my SUV. High quality build. It has a couple of slots for walls, so I made two sidewalls from 1/2" PVC board.

If I were still autocrossing, I think it would make a perfect tire/supplies trailer!

They are really hard to find used. The larger camping trailer is more common and is easier to find…but that one is a lot more expensive.

There’s a FB Group for buying/selling…that’s where I found mine, paid $2K for it.

1 Like

Yes, that short tongue makes it a bit of a challenge. The 75" tongue (another 30") will make it a bit better. I’ve towed multiple 6x12 UHaul trailers with 5’ tongues, and a 30’ travel trailer. I’d rather back up either of those all day before this little trailer!

Its saving grace is that because it’s so light, if I get into trouble, I can simply unhitch and reposition. Almost had to do that once along the marshes of Cape Cod. Waze took me down a dirt road and instructed me to turn…into a 3’ dirt wall. Oops.

Most kayak trailers, like Malone, Yakima and Trailex, are just a frame with crossbars. I like that your Sylvan can also serve as a small utility trailer, or haul some kayak gear along with the kayak. You just wish that for the rather high price they could have used galvanized steel instead of powder coated, or even aluminum. I have an aluminum Trailex that I’ve customized with a flatbed and removable cargo box, but I had to do all of the extra stuff myself.

The secret to backing up a short trailer is to start with the trailer and vehicle perfectly straight and tiny corrections, more than 10° and it kicks around to 90°. So in other words as soon as it starts to turn straighten it up and turn again, baby steps.

1 Like

I read a tip from a guy who drives semis about backing.
He said to place your hand at the bottom center of the steering wheel.
That way , your hand and brain are in sync.

2 Likes

This is accurate. I may only have a Class B, but I’ve pulled many non-CDL trailers (under 10,000 lbs) and did towing for a number of years, and that is exactly how I would coordinate myself while backing. It’s easier to do than trying to remember to turn the top of the wheel the opposite way from where you want the trailer (or whatever else) to go.

I just got the last NOS neoprene hatch covers from We-no-nah. They were NLA, and then I just happened to call a day after an employee ran across another set in the warehouse. Yay! The Squall is a loaner boat for house guests to use on our kettle pond…I’m replacing the SOT kayaks that came with the house.

1 Like

How do you like your Eclipse?? I’m looking at getting a 17 foot airlight version of the kayak. Any opinions,advise,feeling would be a appreciated.

here is my home made kayak trailer. i recently up graded my boats so the yellow barges are gone kids liked them until they paddled real boats. i to had to lengthen hitch huge improvement. this is and older picture with short hitch. its a 4×6 trailer with a small truck bed top. its perfect and great for gear storage.

While the subject of backing trailers is in play, anyone who has ever learned to perform this particular task (or tried and failed) might get a kick out of this VW ad.

1 Like

That’s a nice little setup. Do you sleep under the topper or just use it for hauling gear?

Thanks plausus sleeping in there is on the list but I need to come up with a screen system first for the side windows. Normally I have a large plastic tote with our life vests and gear. Then a cooler and all the paddles. On overnights luggage is in there and it fills up pretty quick. Some more customizing is in the works for this winter.