New kayak

Hi guys. Somewhat new to kayaking. Last year I picked up a cheap viper kayak from menards. Well I’m looking for something a little better. It will be mostly for calm small rivers here in Minnesota.

My big question is will a sub $400 KAYAK be much of an upgrade? I’m 6 foot 185 pounds. I like the thought of the perception sound 10.5 kayak. Or even the pelican mustang and emotion guster.

Any thoughts or advice?

Well, yes it’s an up grade. But not a lot. The newer kayak has a better hull shape. But it’s still a rec boat on the short side.

To answer your question . NO.
Have you read about buying a kayak in the Discussion section?

The short answer is NO. A sub $400 (new) kayak will not be much of an upgrade from what you have. Is there a reason you are looking on 10 ft length 30" wide kayaks? I would suggest looking at 12’ to 15’ length and 24" to 26" in width. Even narrower would be fine, if it fits you and you are comfortable paddling it.
I would not buy a kayak from a big box store such as Menards, Costco, Bass Pro Shop, Cabella’s, Dick’s Sporting Goods, etc.
I would visit a true paddlesports shop and talk to the people there. See if the shop offers lessons and if they provide kayaks, paddles, PFD, etc for the lessons. This can be money well spent. You would not only learn some paddle techniques, but also what to look for in kayaks.
The size boats I described above would cost in the $1000 - $1400 range new. You can find good deals on used kayaks, and that is also what I would recommend. Shop your local craigslist. Many outfitters will sell off their rental boats at the end of the season also, but that would be at the end of summer or early fall.
You might also read this thread…
https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/2937532/want-a-kayak-start-here#latest

…or look for a used one.

This link gives actual information about the types of kayaks and their appropriate uses. Lots of other quality info there as well:

http://www.paddlesafely.com/kayaks/

Scrape together another $200 and buy this used kayak:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/d/venture-easky-17-ft-sea-kayak/6593160726.html

I have the smaller person version (the 15LV) and my ex had the next size up. Very fun and well made kayaks. This is half the price it would have been new. You could take it anywhere, even into the Great Lakes, but for river paddling these track very well and are fast and comfortable.

Compared to what you have been using it will be like going from a golf cart to a Corvette. Made in England!

Willowleaf speaks wisdom. That’s a lot of kayak for very little money.

Yes something you’ll keep for a long time if cared for years later you’ll still get 500 for it.

Buy what you are comfortable with and if your new boat will have features you desire that are not on your current boat. You do not need a 17 ft touring kayak for calm small rivers!

I use an 18’ touring kayak on many calm small rivers. It tracks smoothly and paddles effortlessly, upstream or downstream. He’s already got a little rec boat and is asking for an upgrade. Another 10’ rec boat is not an upgrade for a 6’ guy.

Thanks guys for some of the opinions. It’s not a easy choice haha. But I do want to do what I can to make the right choice.

Would a 12 or 14 foot be a good way to go? . I like the idea of a 17ft one. But boy is that ever long! I’m never on big water just the river with friends. And maybe around a lake once in a while.

18" is almost long enough :slight_smile:
All my boats are 18.5-19’

You probably wouldn’t regret the extra length if you can store it and transport it

@Bryan MN said:
Thanks guys for some of the opinions. It’s not a easy choice haha. But I do want to do what I can to make the right choice.

Would a 12 or 14 foot be a good way to go? . I like the idea of a 17ft one. But boy is that ever long! I’m never on big water just the river with friends. And maybe around a lake once in a while.

I use a 14’ Dagger Alchemy (14L) for rivers and lakes and some coastal. I prefer my 16’ 8" for large lakes and coastal, but the 14’ is a great all around size and would be a real improvement over what you currently paddle.

There are great boats 12 ft and under for general use. Try an Aspire or Pungo, definite upgrades from your current boat, around your target budget if bought used.

With your height and weight you should get a 17 or 18 foot long kayak. (that is if you want to up grade and are going to stay with paddling)
You won’t regret it
I use my 18 footer from the smallest rivers and streams to the largest bodies of water.

Jack L

Longer means you paddle with less effort to glide farther – why wouldn’t you want a more leisurely ride?. Longer kayaks are also easier to load on the roof of your vehicle.

I disagree that a Pungo or Aspire would be much of an “upgrade”. Aspires are clunky and only 10’ long. And a Pungo 12 is still too short for a guy your size.

By the way, the Easky 17 is only 9 pounds heavier than the Pungo 120. In fact, at 58 pounds it weighs THE SAME as the longer Pungo 140 because of the narrower beam. Not to mention that Easky would be $1600 new and has more safety features like dual bulkheads and full deck lines. Probably already sold by now anyway…

Wish you could find a dealer having a demo day. Paddle a 12 foot rec boat and then try a sleek 15’ to 18’ touring kayak and you’ll know why so many of us long time paddlers prefer to go looooong.

$400 budget and recommendations to spend $2000, give me a break!

I’ve purchased 4 different kayaks between 14 and 16 foot long on Craigslist, in great condition, and 3 of them were $400 or less. All but one came with a pretty good paddle. Each retailed for over $1000. You can definitely get a nice boat and a great upgrade if you’re willing to buy used. The Easky that Willowleaf linked to, if still available, has been for sale for a long time. Perhaps the seller would take $400 cash on the barrel. You never know.

At $600 you don’t feel nervous about modifications. Take out that awful seat back. Sorry. Sorry. That’s just my mindset. By all means jump on that used boat. If not, try to find a used Alchemy at 14 feet.