New Lendal paddles?

Has anyone had a chance to use one of the new X-Range Lendal paddles?

I’ve enjoyed the original pre-Johnson Scottish manufactured modified crankshafts and Kinetic Tour blades and I’m curious about the new versions.

Having placed three email queries to Lendal NA over the past 8 weeks with no response whatsoever sort of puts a damper on my enthusiasm.

I’d be interested in hearing comments from anyone whom might have had a chance to spend any time with the new Lendal paddles.

Thanks.

hopefully soon
It appears Rutabaga has them available now. They weren’t available yet when I contacted someone a couple months ago.

The only spoon shaped blade on the market to my knowledge. If you like that blade design, which I certainly do, there really isn’t anything else like it out there. Hopefully Lendal NA will be able to make a go of it. Salty seemed to have gotten ahold of one quite a while ago, and posted positive comments here. It’s been hinted that I may see one on my birthday in June, so I have to hold out for a few more weeks. But based on the Kinetic spoon shaped blades and Salty’s comments, I have no problem going for it.

When I spoke to someone a couple months ago, they had a sales rep visiting potential vendors here in the SE, and some of those have popped up on their site now. I imagine they were looking for buyers prior to launching any significant production. But Rutabaga seems to have them available now, so hopefully all is going well.

Thank you…
for your insights.

I’ve a couple Werners and some nice GPs but I just love the Lendal blade and modified crank in stormy wind driven waters. Nothing seems to paddle quite like it for me.

Rutabaga is also where I saw them come in stock first and I’m tempted to order up and give one a try. I’m in Wyoming thus will not see these things in person anytime soon :slight_smile:

First Coast Outfitters in Florida
has them in stock and I am sure they would be able to ship them to you.

http://www.firstcoastoutfitters.com/

I have used a new one and like it even more than my old Lendal paddles. Everything about it feels better and performs better.

Got alerted to this
Been consulting to Lendal NA recently in R&D. Lots of trips back to NY and Captain work means life way busy.

Be patient. Whats really cool is the team out there is investing hugely in Lendal and in making product in America. That’s very important to them.

We’ve tweaked a few things on design and established the layups etc. The shafts are bladder moulded in precision tools with high end pre-preg epoxy. Unlike a mandrel wrapped shaft different shapes can be formed, such as the new grip area which has a super nice feel to it. Shafts are multi-layered with fiber orientation engineered for strength and the right flex. Shafts are machined with precision tooling and wet sanded for a nice non-slippery feel.

Blades are foam cored BUT, they are tough as can be. We wanted to retain rock gardening toughness and expedition strength. Blades are essentially foiled Kinetic’s and they do have a great feel in the water. Long time Lendal Pro’s love them and I’d say anyone who liked the Kinetic of old will just find this blade smoother all around.

Spigots / connector tubes: These have been re-engineered to be stronger and they are, as has been the neck area of the blade. Some early runs of blades had porosity and distortion issues which were not structural but we fixed that and blades made in the past few weeks have been absolutely bomber and flawless.

I’ve always dreamt of taking Lendal concepts and applying modern material and manufacturing technology and taking the brand to the next level. I can say without hesitation we have done just that recently.

It’s been a long slog with numerous obstacles including getting the factory up and running etc. So, as with most things it took longer than any of us imagined. The great news is the team has huge ability to design, tool, and make fantastic stuff, and I think you’ll see cool paddles coming out in the future. Right now I think it’s a case of getting orders out and making sure every paddle is superb.

My role from this point on will be as an advisor to R&D from time to time. I think they’re well set to charge ahead at this time.

This post is meant only to inform. I’m no sales guy and cannot speak to that or their plans.

What this means to paddlers is just another high quality option in paddles.

Got alerted to this
Been consulting to Lendal NA recently in R&D. Lots of trips back to NY and Captain work means life way busy.

Be patient. Whats really cool is the team out there is investing hugely in Lendal and in making product in America. That’s very important to them.

We’ve tweaked a few things on design and established the layups etc. The shafts are bladder moulded in precision tools with high end pre-preg epoxy. Unlike a mandrel wrapped shaft different shapes can be formed, such as the new grip area which has a super nice feel to it. Shafts are multi-layered with fiber orientation engineered for strength and the right flex. Shafts are machined with precision tooling and wet sanded for a nice non-slippery feel.

Blades are foam cored BUT, they are tough as can be. We wanted to retain rock gardening toughness and expedition strength. Blades are essentially foiled Kinetic’s and they do have a great feel in the water. Long time Lendal Pro’s love them and I’d say anyone who liked the Kinetic of old will just find this blade smoother all around.

Spigots / connector tubes: These have been re-engineered to be stronger and they are, as has been the neck area of the blade. Some early runs of blades had porosity and distortion issues which were not structural but we fixed that and blades made in the past few weeks have been absolutely bomber and flawless.

I’ve always dreamt of taking Lendal concepts and applying modern material and manufacturing technology and taking the brand to the next level. I can say without hesitation we have done just that recently.

It’s been a long slog with numerous obstacles including getting the factory up and running etc. So, as with most things it took longer than any of us imagined. The great news is the team has huge ability to design, tool, and make fantastic stuff, and I think you’ll see cool paddles coming out in the future. Right now I think it’s a case of getting orders out and making sure every paddle is superb.

My role from this point on will be as an advisor to R&D from time to time. I think they’re well set to charge ahead at this time.

This post is meant only to inform. I’m no sales guy and cannot speak to that or their plans.

What this means to paddlers is just another high quality option in paddles.

“The X-Range … are the most popular”

– Last Updated: May-22-12 10:38 AM EST –

You just have to love marketing...

"The X-Range Kinetic Touring 700 Blades are the most popular of the Lendal paddles"

Stated as if these have been selling like hot cakes for years... Nevermind that just about no one has yet bought ANY X-series paddles to date...

I’d imagine…
the reference is in terms of the original Kinetic 700 blades being the most popular seller of the line.

Since the new X-Range version maintains the original face and improves upon the rest, they probably felt comfortable with the statement.

Thank you…
I was hoping you might have some insight.

The new grip is exciting and I’m looking forward to trying the larger size.

Thanks again.

Thanks! n/t

Lendal, NA Sales
Thanks everyone for posting on Pnet! I’ll keep this short as a public forum is not the appropraite place to talk sales. I’m the National Sales Manager at Lendal, NA and would just like to let the general public know that we are currently supplying product to a handful of great specialty shops listed on our website. We are not currently selling direct online. If anyone has any questions regarding performance, availability or construction please feel free to contact me directly at dave@lendalna.com. Thanks for your comments and I look forward to assisting anyone who needs guidance or answers.

I’d Imagine not …

– Last Updated: May-22-12 2:16 PM EST –

From looking at the photos: the blades, while similar, are not the same as the Kinetics of past. Shape profile is somewhat different (look at the transition towards the tip for instance). So, aside from the foam core, the shape appears to have been tweaked.

My note was just a reference to the bullish language used on a completely new product that no one knows if it will sell or not, claiming it somehow is a best seller already.

Nothing against Lendal, just making fun of the text on the web site. I own the old Kinetic and like it for the most part, and from what I see on the photos of the new ones, they will probably be good blades too.

What is the real truth? Are your
Kinetics true made in Scotland blades or were

they JOI made blades? The designer of the Kinetic

series Neil Baxter has approved the Lendal NA

blades as the ‘real’ shape.

I agree about marketing language in general.

Not unlike Internet forum experts.

Some more trivia
Your blades could also be USA made in the

Pacific Northwest ! For some time Lendal of

Scotland subcontracted composite blade production

to a company in Wa. State

Labels said Crafted in Scitland. Kinda speaks

to your point about marketing.

Gotta say though I think the NA folk are certainly

trying to do stuff right. It will take some time but

the foundation is there.

Safe paddling all. I’m out Got work to do.

Lendal
They had stock at Canoecopia. I’ve been paddling with a new crank shaft and my old blades. I like the feel of the new shaft.

I do not like that the ferrule will not lock into place without using the allen key. It’s a real problem if you ever need to switch to your spare paddle in rough water.

Concern
I don’t understand the need for 4 piece unless your flying. I am of the opinion of more pieces ,more problems. This has kept me away from a Lendal purchase.

According to their site they are offering 2 piece options in Europe but this won’t be available to North America. Why?

Options
If you want to adjust length and feather that has to be done at the center connection. If you want to exchange blades or trade off shafts that has to be done at the shaft/blade connection. Therefore, 4 pieces.

Interesting…
I was under the impression that to use the older style blades one needed to use their Legacy shaft which is available in a straight only according to the web site.

Your old blades fit the new crankshaft without issue?

Does the new shaft’s ferrule button still pop into place at a 60 degree angle like the old shaft ferrule?

Are you using the standard or large grip on your new shaft?

Thanks.

good man salty
Passion and interest weighs more to me than sales panache. That part will come. Thanks for posting this.

Hate the center ferulle design
The center ferulle design (requiring a wrench to separate, secure, or adjust angle) is the single most critical shortcoming of the Lendal design.

Because I use 0 feather angle I have no option to just pop the two parts together and paddle away with a safe and secure connection b/w the two halves.

This has been discouraging me to use the Lendal as a spare or primary that would need to be stowed. For that reason alone I bought a Werner Cyprus that I could just pop into 2 pieces and back together on the fly (well, price being 1/2 off helped with my decision too, to be honest).

When I am in conditions where I might be necessary to reach for that spare paddle I do not want to be messing with wrenches or have to rely on a paddle that could come undone any time because it is unsecured when I’m barely keeping balance…