New paddle for my Tupper

I’ve been using an Aquabound Expedition AMT 230cm paddle for almost 10 years, with no complaints. Incredibly durable, and it has not been used gently. It weighs approximately 38 oz, but the weight doesn’t bother me. I paddle all day without getting tired. I’ve tried friends’ really light weight paddles, and they felt flimsy to me.

I like the size of the blade, which is 20"x6.5".

Fellow pack canoers, any recommendations? I would buy a new one just like the old one but they don’t seem to make them any more.

Lightweight paddles are hardly flimsy.

– Last Updated: Jan-26-10 1:43 PM EST –

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21022

These are great paddles at a good price. Campmor has several different ones.
My CF paddle is approaching 10 years old and is holding up just fine. I even stepped hard on the blade in a gravel parking lot with no consequence and you know I'm not light.
Hitide will have one with him in March.

Grey Owl Tempest
Laminated wood construction with some reinforcement of the blade tip – this would look great with your Tupper. Blades are similar size to your paddle; I have no need for larger as this would overpower my boat (Lost Pond 10.5). Advertised at 32oz, so not a featherweight, but hardly a log. Nice snug carbon ferrule with 3 feathering options. I got mine from Hornbeck… 260cm? (max size Grey Owl lists is 250cm).

Those do look very nice,
but with no chance to demo, a bit more than I would be willing to pay.

Someone contacted me with a barely used paddle just like the one I have, and I may go with that. Going shopping today if it rains.

Aquabound
The Aquabound Eagle Ray is most similar to the old Expedition AMT. It’s a nice blade and a little lighter now that is has a carbon shaft. I actually like the Sting Ray model a little better, but the blade is 2" shorter than the Expedition blade. Depending on the width of you canoe you might be able to use a 220cm paddle. Might be worth a test. I have an old 230cm Tripper blade which I’ve held onto for use with the Placid SpitFire, but I also used a 220cm Sting Ray with that boat. I’ve gone to high angle paddles for kayaking and use 210cm blades for that.

Best,

~wetzool

The Eagle Ray
is the paddle I thought I wanted, until I saw it doesn’t come in 230cm. It may just be what I’m used to, but 230 seems just about perfect for my canoe.

?
REI’s website indicates they have the Eagle Ray in 220cm, 230cm and 240cm. Where did you hear it’s not available?

I agree on the length.I see “canoe
paddles” in 250 and 260 cm advertised. Those are fine for the center of a tandem but we solo paddles don’t need oars.

The Campmor site
doesn’t have the 230cm, but I see the REI site does.

Thanks! See, it always pays to ask the p.netters.

paddles
sissy i have an aquabound 220 cm carbon shaft w/thermoplastic blades and another thats the same but all carbon you are more than welcome to use for a while to try them out.

Eagle Ray
I have a 230mm carbon shaft aquabound eagle ray with the “carbon abx” blade (a stiff abs plastic blade - no carbon really involved). This paddle is certainly available in 230. I use it with a sea kayak for a touring paddle, and I think it’s perfect. It seems like it would be a great paddle for a narrower and lower sided solo canoe (my original paddling background is canoes). Also, if you don’t feather or are okay with the one optional position, skip the adjustable ferrule for simplicity, cost and weight savings.

That is so nice of you
to offer, but I don’t think anything less than 230cm would be long enough for my boat. I can keep it low enough so I don’t get dripped on when it is cold, but can go higher angle in hot weather when outrunning gators or thunderstorms.

Holler at me if you want to paddle up the Econ. The eagles have babies.

Good point
I do feather, but only the one position, so why pay for further adjustability.

A couple

– Last Updated: Feb-01-10 9:54 PM EST –

When I was with Pb, we used and sold the AT Exception OS and the Werner Kallista, both in carbon with bent shafts, in 230cm length. The length could be shortened to 220 for those dedicated to vertical padlestrokes.

The AT has the more sophisticated blade shape and blade and shaft are prepregged up in one piece. The Werner has more bend in the shaft and a vastly superior ferrule with adjustable feather, but blade and shaft glue together in a secondary operation, the sleeve covering the junction a little noisy in the water.

Either way, both are among the better ways to spend $500 on paddlesports - huge bargains.

The Tupper is a flared boat so you'll need a longer stick, maybe 240cm or even 250-260cm to reach water over those wide sides, but that's boat and paddler situational, how long paddler's torso is and how wide the shoulders and how vertical the stroke; you gotta try to fit length.

Strangely, up to a point, taller folks need shorter paddles because they clear flared rails more easily.

Interesting observation Charlie.
I am using a 260cm BB when I double-blade my Magic, but I am seated higher than Sissy by probably 5 inches or so. I use a 260 because I had it lying around. I have tried my old 230cm AT (std blades) and found it a bit short, even with the Magic’s tumblehome. Maybe I will do some research this summer. But only if I get a round tuit. I am still searching for a 7deg bendie to try. Again, have not got that tuit.

Jim

Dude, paddle the canoe.

– Last Updated: Feb-01-10 3:20 PM EST –

Charlie, I use a 215 very comfortably in the Tupper (my stroke is more vertical than not). 250cm or 260cm....no way, that's nuts...unless you hold your arms down at the level of your belly button. Sissy103 has hundreds of hours in the Tupper with her old 230cm (a few of those with me, she as my guide) and she does great. As much as "specs" tell of a canoes' performance (and goodness knows you love specs), they can also be misleading. The Tupper does not paddle as wide as you insinuate. Most of the customers I've sold Tuppers to use 220-230. Remember, the seat is off the bottom a bit, better accomadating the use of a shorter double blade. But hey, what do I know?

:) Rob

Rob; i think you know
I’ve put several hours in Tupper.

So why recommend a 250 or 260?
What length did you use? Are you recommending 240/250/260cm based the few hours that you paddled the canoe, or just assuption based on specs? Maybe we can get a chance to paddle a couple Tuppers together this summer.

I usually keep my mouth shut, but paddle length is very important for any hulls performance and I don’t want anyone to be misled, especially when it’s a hull that we build and know better than anyone. Ask Robbie Frenette what length he uses.

By the way, the Coldens look nice, can’t wait to see one.

Many folks

– Last Updated: Feb-03-10 1:52 PM EST –

That opt for a pack canoe are really looking for an ultra light rec kayak and they've found it!

That said, they tend to use a horizontal stroke which requires a longer paddle, and longer with flared hulls than tumblehomed boats. [Interesting that Bell has lofted a new 12" DragonFly off the Merlin X sections to have tumblehomed pack canoe.]

That said, Sissy seems an accomplished paddler who uses a vertical stroke. While I have no clue as to her height, I'll bet she wants a shorter stick.

When dbl sticking I use a 220sm AT Exception OS, 215cm Kallista and 210 Ikelos, SP?, but I mostly use Quimby and Dog paddle single sticks.

My double sticking occurs in Pb's tumblehomed hulls with CobraSox rails that, without outwales, are 24.5" wide maximum at rail height, 27.5" max width at 8" depth, 11" deep at center. Tupper is also 11" deep at center, but 27.5 molded width at rails; 29" wide with 3/4"outwales included. The widest boat in class seems to be Pete's 12; 12" deep at center and 31" molded width at rails. As Pete doesn't use full width rails, maybe 32" max width at rails? Higher and wider rails require longer paddles and more horizontal stroke geometry. Seat and Paddler torso height reduce needed paddle length as they increase.

Thanks, everyone
I ordered the 230cm Aquabound Eagle Ray with carbon shaft from REI, $140. It could be that I would have loved one of the Werners or Black Magic, but a $400 or $500 paddle doesn’t fit into my budget right now, especially without the opportunity to try before buying.

And thanks for your kind words, too! I don’t consider myself knowledgeable or accomplished. I love my adorable Vermont canoe, and I just get in it and go. I probably do everything the wrong way, but I have fun.