New PINTAIL!

thats right.

– Last Updated: Sep-21-10 12:10 PM EST –

yes. its actually quite easy to see "some romany" in it.the sides are not as square and boxy as on the tempest. but the flare is less than the nordkappLV and also the acocet rm and nordkapp rm that i had a few days.in gale force open ocean stuff this summer..
so think nordkapp lv. a bit romany,avocet foredeck.
but it has a "sweeter" feel than the tempest. its not as close to hard chine as the little tempest at all.very lively, still rocksolid on edge, rolls like a dream. Its perhaps not fast, but its very easily driven.ill try to get a few picks out..i also think its more than enough space for a week, unnless youll want to bring a TIPI .well even that might work it i can get it into the huge fore room with the little hatch,hehe
the hatches are bone dry after houres and houres upside down in sculling brace or rolling.bone dry.
.its a bigger boat than the little plastic tempest...It also has more volume forward and to the rear than fex the T165.there are no concave lines. the tempeste has plenty of concave parts.
complex lines. the pinny has very clean lines..ill take the tempest if im lucky enough to catch a storm this fall /winter..its got more BITE in the water and is still very easy to turn in wind and waves..but ill getting lost again..
the color choice is my "HI! thanks!" to justine Curgenven..i bought the first film years ago while doing flycasting at a show..the exeptioanlly nice vibes
from her work, got me hooked..more and more..so...thats why
all my kayks are yellow.

Post 1995

– Last Updated: Sep-21-10 10:50 AM EST –

This was a post 1995 Pintail. It had oval rear hatch and the flared bow of newer Valley boats. It had higher primary than my Nordlow and actually had a noticeable hang point on edge.

Its lateral stability felt closer to my Aquanaut than my Nordkapp LV.

We sometimes paddle with Mike Scarborough in Friendship who has an original model Pintail - round hatches fore and aft, no skeg, absolutely flat rear deck, fully rounded chine and no flare to the bow.

hmm.
I haven’t seen a pintail with round hatches fore and aft. Mine is 1995, and has the old hull and deck shape, but has a skeg, and an oval aft hatch. (Thank goodness! Still awful hard to get stuff stored in that boat!)

My faulty memory…
I just rechecked some photos of Mike’s Pintail and it has oval rear hatch - so much for my memory. It is the only one I’ve seen that has both day hatch and pump. It had been Bill Lozano’s boat.

small clip with the new pin
a friend filmed while i was doing some stretching with a brooks avataq. its great warm up, and easy on the body…looks f…awesome with black tuilik and yellow deck…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f83NGr8LFyI&feature=player_embedded

Did you mention
how heavy/tall you are? Just curious since the boat looks loght and floating high on the water. Almost feels like it wants to sit on edge one side or another rather than center flat? Are you edging it constantly or is it just very “lively”?

Looks Sweet…!
Almost makes me wish I had one to mess about in…

very lively indeed

– Last Updated: Sep-23-10 5:19 AM EST –

its extremely lively. i guess i was just tilting it , shaking it a little..it perfect for me. im about 70 kilos. i have no problems whatsoever padling it, but every stroke has to be unique. but thats the whole point with the Pintail i suppose. Edging stability is very good. less flare than the nordkapp or avocet RM
its awesome for making tight turns in waves.
if you stop the clip here and there its easier to study the lines.

Interesting …
Interesting, there was some photo of a guy who was 200 lb (about 90kg) who had the Pintail submerged to the cockpit just sitting in it - no maneuverability due to the ends being in the water more, and it felt “dead” to him. I did not think 20 kilos would make such a difference but I guess they do…

yes
ive seen it. the MK2 sits a little higher in the water. Ill try to pack it full and see what happens. iv had a moderate load , and it felt very nice. ill try to get some more pictures taken soon.

not that small

– Last Updated: Sep-23-10 11:36 AM EST –

200 pounds won't sink a pintail to the coaming. I'm 180, and I've done multi-day trips in my older version (which is supposed to be lower volume). I didn't weigh my gear, but it was probably 50 pounds with water. The boat sits right down on the shear line, and it plows a bit, but it's still plenty turny. I wouldn't at all say that the ends are locked in when it's loaded. Like any loaded boat, the turning moment is greater, so you can't jerk it around like an empty boat. But it's still much turnier than other boats.

While I wouldn't recommend putting 220 pounds in a pintail on a daily basis, I'd say mostly what you give up is bit of speed. No big deal every now and then, although it's not a fast boat to start with, so you'd better have better form than your mates!

hehe

– Last Updated: Sep-23-10 1:20 PM EST –

i normally paddle in circles around my mates..hehe
if speed and long trips with destinations were my main objective id pick another boat..
i should mention that i paddle mostly alone and that my paddling buddies are either slow/relaxed or like me.

thats a pretty boat
and no doubt.

thanks.
its definately a boat that can be used for longer trips, in terms of volume. that was a bonus.

I kind of like the small front hatch. it should be easy to stuff a tent etc etc in there. its lots of space in front of pedals. big dayhatch and great rear hatch. How effective it would be, is very dpendent of the weather i guess…this boat is fast in waves.

All being said…i wouldnt mind trying a MK 1 pintail one day.

aft hatch is tough
At least on the MK1, the aft deck is so low, and the bilges are so round, that you can’t fit much through that nice big oval hatch in the back. The front compartment is really big, but the hatch is small. It’s sort of a packing paradox.

Maybe the MK2 is better.

ill take a look

– Last Updated: Sep-23-10 4:05 PM EST –

right now..and its space enough for a nice sleeping bag+more.

very fun vids, snowprince
you look pretty f’ing awesome yourself. We need more rock n roll on this board.

I love how you are doing rolls with, it looks like, a Brooks avataq… I was doing body rolls w. it (no kayak, just me and the avataq, then just me) up at a kayak symposium this summer. Now of course I want one.

Please post more vids :smiley:

hoho
well im not snowprince, im sven. snowprince took the clip. you can see me here…hehe http://svenkalmar.com/

not so easy with the diving mask, but under the flycasting section…hehe sorry for the selfimportant crap, by the way…

or herehttp://fluefiske.net/saker/portrettet/603-kastets-trollmann

well well…

and
im not agreat roller by any means. but i think regular use of the avataq is a great way to train, not risking too much shoulder strain. I hpoe to get a ok roll in rough water. thats what i love. AND i watch Warren a lot!!

hm…
not so hot,heh? hehehe more pintail picks soon…