New PINTAIL!

The Glass Slipper
Congrats on your new Pintail. I think it is the prettiest boat on the sea. I like them so much that, even though I don’t fit very well in them and paddle a Romany, I bought one anyway.

My dates would always paddle it and my friends began to call it The Glass Slipper; they had a feeling that who ever paddled the Pintail the best and looked the best in it would become my wife. And they were correct.

A fun little Pintail fact.

The Pintail came about because Nigel Dennis asked Frank Goodman if he could get the old molds from the Anas Acuta and modify the design slightly to build a boat for the students of his sea and surf centre (before the Romany). Nigel was tired of buying boats for his fleet that his students would just beat up anyway. (If you’ve paddled over there, you know what he’s talking about.) Frank said sure.

A couple months later Frank showed up with the Pintail and said “Here’s the new boat you asked for”. :^)

nice
story! Thanks.

What model?
do you have…?

Ocean cockpit
’93 turquoise over white with black trim.

so
perhaps the “mk2” might be perfect ,if you have the “MK1”

Pintail
I saw that photo of the 200lb guy who was practically sinking the Pintail. I have a Pintail and am 6’1" and 195lbs. On flat water I paddle it with the water line at the bottom of the “Valley” decals. Nowhere near the coaming. Brits like to put 50lbs or more gear in their boats even when day paddling.

I hope you enjoy your Pintail. It is a great boat and the other people posting have captured the essence of the boat very well. Lively, loves to surf, absolutely phenomenal in rough water, but is average in the flat stuff. But lets face, there are plenty of kayaks that are made for flat water and an elite few who start to giggle when they see really rough water.

it was not quite the boat Nigel wanted
So Nigel used Pintails for a bit… He had a Pintail mold from Frank Goodman and with Aled Williams used it as a starting point for another boat. That boat ended up being the Romany.

my only concern…

– Last Updated: Oct-05-10 8:37 AM EST –

is very strong wind..i love wind,the more the better, at least up here by "my" lake. im curious about how the pintail will perform in steep rolling chop in gale/storm winds..hehe..we had gale wind almost dayly this summer ,but this autumn has been ecceptionally quiet. tomorrow we expect up to force 8 at the exposed coast of south east norway.up here ,i dont know since the wind locally can become amplified by the valley. so im courious if the pintail can be difficoult to control in very stiff headwinds..down wind i guess its superb..im used to paddle the little Tempest in strong wind, and i was extremely pleased with its behaviour when i paddled a rare summerstorm here..it locks very nicely into the wind. Anyway, it seems the pintail will be nice for weeklong stuff. i got ahuge tipi/lavo
into the rear compartment. well more later..
thiskind of stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVKxPVl4HTY&feature=player_embedded
as opposed to this...hehe...
http://www.youtube.com/user/frankwildcat#p/u/33/cnKMR2XivzA

Pintail in wind and waves
I have paddled my Pintail in force 6 winds and it performed fairly well. Take a look at James paddling his Pintail in the surf. This kayak has so much potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoBh3Jcb82o

great…
thanks…more pintail clips?