Ocean Kayak for very small build

"Can’t wait to get in that one"
Does Riverside have other boats by Tahe for demo? There is no place on pnet for reviews and I would be interested in what folks think of having both a skeg and a rudder, which some Tahe boats do.

Dr.D
haven’t been down there since the Tahe arrived.

I need to send a email over there about something else. I’ll ask if you like.

Or email Tiffany VanDerHey the co-owner direct at riversidekayak@ameritech.net. This isn’t private - it’s on their website. If you are headed out that way you can make arrangements for your own demo on the Trenton River Channel/lower Detroit River.

They are becoming a full on dealer for Tahe but which models will come into the demo fleet not sure. They have the largest demo fleet in the state as you prolly know, with lots of composites.

I saw the Tahe Greenland edition at GLSKS, it was beached one time that I saw, late in the day.

The very dark berryblack color. Low, lean and luscious! It looks like a young shark ready to slink into the water. Wait til you see people doing Greenland rolls in this Tahe. Wait til you roll in it.

If the Starlight Paddle on Thursday night had gone on as scheduled I knew who was gonna paddle it that night and would’ve had a shot at some seat time. As it was the starlight paddle was weather-aborted so between classes I never saw the Tahe and it was always occupied. But we know where it is now!

Romany LV (the old one)
is noticeably tighter-fitting than standard Romany. Though it’s not super-narrow, the deck is indeed low. I used one stock (no padding in the thigh braces or on the seat), and it fit snugly enough for some very hard-over edging (and was easy to keep on edge).

The “new Romany LV” aka the Pilgrim has knee bumps, which give a bit more room for leg motion. I could still edge it happily, though. OP should try to demo all these versions to compare.

The Explorer LV (I own one) has more vertical room than the old Romany LV, less so than either standard Romany or standard Explorer.

Sounds like a cool idea
I’d like to paddle at Pictured Rocks sometime. Road trip?

Seriously, it’s hard to find sellers who really understand what us small people are dealing with in our kayak searches. This applies not only to kayaks but to paddles. It’s one of the reasons I so like and appreciate Body Boat Blade’s attention to fit and sizing, even if it’s “only a lesson” and not a sales spiel. What other outfits are good with this? Something to think about when traveling to other areas (flying) and need to rent good kayaks.

Thanks
I will contact them.

Late to the party…
… of small paddlers. :wink:

I’m “only” 5’4 so not VERY small. But I weight barely 110 dripping wet. Now that’s “small” in the weight department. So, much of the too-big-boat problems still bothers me (see my other thread on foot peg, such a minor thing but such a headache!)

Basically, TWO main problems with big boats: 1) too high deck, so sore or even bloody knuckles after a few miles; 2) got blown around like a cork!

What I found, the “LV” version of many boats (Romany LV, Explorer LV etc), while not ideal, goes a long way in solving those two problems. By simply lowering the deck, you can paddle without hitting your knuckle. And you don’t get blown around half as much with the lower deck. It may still be on the wide side, and you may be pushing too much water. But that’s when paying the “high price” of the new breed of Avocet LV and Pilgrim becomes neccessary.

The rest of the lists of “fit” problems can be outfitted away by adding “materials” in the cockpit (thigh pads, hip pads, knee pads, heel raiser…). The high deck are inherent in the boat and can’t be helped. So you’d better get them half way right to have a prayer of a semi-suitable boat.

Rudder vs. skeg:

Anyway, in a nutshell, almost all of the low deck, narrow low volume boats are made or designed or at least inspired by the British design. As a result, they all equipped with skegs. So that’s something you’ll have to get your heads around.

Honestly, with a low deck and the resulting low windage, you may find the lack of rudder much less of a problem than you feared. (the suggestion of test paddle in a breezy day is right on!)

Price:

As for price, you’re in a minority of paddlers, so your options are limited both in new AND in used market. And to be honest, most coastal capable boats aren’t cheap anyway. So you may be better off to get your heads around that angle as well.

That’s all I have to say that hasn’t been said.

thoughts
Ok, I have taken all the advice and weighed it against my initial need/long term need and think I may know what direction I am going to take.

I am leaning towards the Raven. Though the length is less then I would like, it’s weight will allow me ease of access to the water which will equal more seat time, and it’s design/size will be conducive to honing the skills I need. I live a mile and a half to the beach and to inland water, so when the ocean is too big, I have an alternative. My primary goal is skill building and I have the luxury of going out whenever the weather allows, if I have my own boat. Once I have a good handle on the basic skills needed for moderate surf, I will look for the longer boat. By that time, I should have more seat time in a variety of boats and will know what my preferences are.

Thank you all so much, you have been a tremendous help! Feel free to weigh in!

Only caution re the Raven

– Last Updated: Aug-05-09 11:48 AM EST –

I caution that I don't know this boat, but there's nothing wrong with a particularly short boat while you are building skills. In fact it makes it much easier. The boat that is easiest to learn to roll out of our fleet is a decades-old 9 ft whitewater boat. (Piedra)

That said, I don't see a hint of thigh braces in the pic on CD's site. You will shortly find that you need a thigh braces that actually lie over your thighs to advance your skills. I'd also make sure that the seat back doesn't sit higher than the rear deck, something else that'll be a real limiting factor.

There is a possibility that the Raven cockpit is small enough that you could build up thigh braces under the deck with minicell, but be aware that you will need something there to meet your goals. If you have access to a Tsunami SP as well, sit in both of them. The added one inch of width in the Tsunami isn't likely to be near as much of a problem as an inability to hit some useful thigh braces.

As to weight - you can get a boat around by sliding on and off the vehicle, if it's long enough, and using kayak wheels. Granted lighter is better, bit lack of thigh bracing is more fatal in the long run than than it taking more time to get a heavier boat loaded.

While we are here - just reread your stuff and you talked about doing winter coastal paddling. You are talking about winter after next season, right? Solo paddling as a newbie in winter, especially assuming that a dry suit isn't in your budget right now, isn't a plan. This winter should probably be about finding indoor pool sessions.

I scanned all the messages
and saw the Impex Mystic come up more than once.

I don’t think that you’d be sorry with that choice. I’m smallish at 5’4", 125 lbs., and it is my choice for coastal waters. I paddled it on a 10-day expedition off the Alaskan coast (unprotected waters) and even at 14’ I had room for all of my gear.

BTW, I had no problem keeping up with the the rest of my group in their 18’+ boats.

I have had rudders and skegs and vastly prefer skegs. YMMV

Paddle careful and have fun!

Raven
Similar comments on the Raven towards the end of this thread:

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=1135018

Seatbacks/backbands are usually easy to swap.

Not So Fast
I know at least three women in that size range who have not had such problems with the Force 3 and find it paddles just fine as a day boat with regular day gear.

I have never heard them mention it being “corky” or not well behaved in wind and waves. Just shows your mileage may vary. That said, it is designed as an extended touring boat and has the volume for doing so. For a dedicated weekend/day boat, other boats make more sense for a small person.

Greenland is Amazing Boat
"I saw the Tahe Greenland edition at GLSKS, it was beached one time that I saw, late in the day."

There is a reason for that. I believe the Tahe Greenland is not just a copy of a SOF East Greenland boat for Greenland fanatics…rather it seems to be a very well designed modern hull inspired by East Greenland boats. Its scary how easy it rolls and does other Greenland stuff, but it is much more than a “rolling boat”. Very much a fun day boat. Quite well behaved and seaworthy.

the Raven
my comments are in that thread link by angstrom. I may be one of the few people in this thread who has actually paddled one.

Lack of thigh braces: sure, if I bought the kayak I would want them. But adding minicell braces is fairly easy; I did my own on my Fuego. It is actually easier IMO to build thighbraces where there are none, that to augment existing ones.

The seat back is not grossly high, but it comes a bit over the coaming, not optimal for rescues or laying back. Since the Raven the OP is considering is new, she can prolly get the dealer to swap out that backband for the ones used on the Rumour, Suka, Caribou, etc. If not, aftermarket backbands are easier to install and can be had w. diligent shopping for ~$25

If the Raven is water-demo’d and she likes the fit and feel, she will be starting off just fine.

She can start learning in her own boat right away (an important advantage esp for the small paddler, as angstrom pointed out). Later, is she finds a longer boat she likes, the Raven is still ideal for short jaunts, river and pool sessions.

So if the Raven is the one there are ways of working around those issues. they are good issues to be raised though - good posts!

In other directions
If you ever decide that whitewater looks interesting, you’ll have an easier time finding a boat that fits. Jackson and Liquid Logic have a wide range of sizes in several models. The smallest ones are often marketed as kid’s boats, but they have the same designs and features as the larger versions.

http://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/products.cfm

http://www.jacksonkayak.com/kayaks/product.cfm?product=kidseries

I’ll join you!
I’m in California, which throws off the midpoint even more. But I definitely like the idea!