OK, what good is rolling?

can you roll all kayaks?
I saw a post further up about rolling a SOT and was wondering if it’s possible to roll all kayaks. I’ve recently bought a pungo 140 and am wondering if it’s possible to roll such a beamy kayak with such a large cockpit? The boat seems like you’d naturally fall out of it capsized. Would I need a much smaller boat to roll it?

Thanks,

Will

I’m suspicious
of Pawsimeroi’s motives,he/she/troll doesn’t post a profile,just makes a ridiculous statement then runs and hides without responding to the debate.

I doubt the forty year instructors agree with Paws

views on rolling or if they even exist.

Let’s hear from you Pawsimeroi or are you too busy practising paddle float rescues in the surf?

Oh black water,keep on rollin…er I mean wet exiting.

It is possible
to roll almost all kayaks, although a lot are not suited to rolling easily. Sit Ons can be rolled.

Most kayakers cannot roll

– Last Updated: May-24-05 7:57 AM EST –

according to some stats I read once. Most kayakers who CAN roll, cannot do it consistantly. While it is far better to know how to roll SOME of the time than to not know how to roll at all,rolling is not the best safety technique. I believe the best safety technique at anyone's disposal is the one most kayakers use; common sense.
Rolling is a logical imperative whether you have common sense or not; if you lack common sense, the roll becomes even more important since you will eventually bite off more than you can chew. If you have common sense, you will learn it because it is one more safety technique in your aresenal.

Hackyak - feminine whirlpool
Besides being known as Hackyak the man of mystery on water. It is rumored that when he is rolling he is known as the “feminine whirlpool”.

But that is just a rumor.

Won’t disagree with the stats, but
I’d disagree with the ‘common sense’ part. Of course, the best ‘safety’ technique may be common sense - but by that argument, I should use common sense to keep both feet planted on solid ground, and not be out in a ‘long, unstable, thingy’.

Some kayakers routinely go out in conditions where a capsize is possible, even likely. Having the ability to roll in such conditions is essential - other rescues cannot be performed. Is it foolish? Foolhardy? Lacking in common sense? To some, but not to others.

To me, rock climbers are idiots: definately a few bricks short of a full load. Ropes can break, the can get hit by falling rocks, and there’s no way those small cam things are going to hold! Yet they rely on their equipment and skills to do the most foolish things: no offense to rock climbers :slight_smile:

I think I’d also go as far as saying that rolling is one of the best (if not the best) ‘safety’ technique (for capsize recovery).

Rolling is BY FAR the best technique
No instructor with any sense would advocate coming out of the boat as being the safest way to handle a capsize. Exiting the boat creates myriad problems, not the least of which is having to get back in. Wet exits should be regarded as a last resort to be used only when one’s bracing and rolling skills fail them. Why anyone would CHOOSE to wet exit when there is a better alternative is beyond me. That’s different from someone being FORCED to wet exit due to not being able to roll.

Rolling is a basic skill, often referred to as a “gateway” skill, because it makes learning other paddling techniques much easier. Once you can roll, you don’t have to deal with laborious re-entries every time you miss a brace or make a similar mistake. It’s key to becoming a better paddler.

The best self rescue technique is…
…the one of many in your skillset that you can do consistently and quickly in conditions most likely to cause you to capsize. I’d like to take credit for that statement, but I’m paraphrasing from (I THINK) ‘Deep Trouble’ or maybe in one of these forums.

Note the ‘one of may in your skillset’. A roll is a very useful rescue technique that will get you out of the water quickly, with the least exposure to cold water. But even for experts, ROLLS FAIL sometimes. So make sure you have well practiced backups like assisted & solo re-entries. Don’t leave that paddle float & pump behind because you’ve managed to roll.

And make sure you have practiced all techniques outside of the swimming pool or the nice calm lake or pond. How? Dedicate at least one trip a season to a skills refresher with your paddling buddies. Make a day of it, choosing a location with a safe pull-out downwind (don’t want to be blown out to open water) and a place to get warm if you need to. It can be a blast.

Why do I need a paddlefloat?
Wasn’t there a topic about that recently? :slight_smile:

You’re right, of course. You do need to practice in ‘conditions’ (wind and waves). This is one reason I advocate training (ACA or BCU, for example) to all paddlers: this gives them the experience of doing these things with qualified instructors.

lol, hey that was in a different spirit!
I was the one who started the “why do I need a paddle float” thread but that was more in regards to compatability issues with a paddle float and a Greenland paddle and its utility in the surf zone. :slight_smile: